January Transfer Window - 2022

MaVilla

Wonder is we could trick Arsenal into selling us William Saliba? He's been great for Marseille this season and I really liked what I saw from him at Saint Etienne before he moved to Arsenal. Still only 20 y.o and Arsenal doesn't seem to be willing to give him a chance.

Could be a steal.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, av1 said:

The only one I’ve seen, though I believe he is injured now is Souter (sp?)

In fact at the start of the window wasn’t there loads of reports about SG having a hard on for some Spanish CB? Pau Torres was it? 

In the 3 central midfielder roles we have Sanson, Chuk, Ramsey, Luiz,, McGinn, Nakamba at the moment. Only Nakamba is suited for the DM position if we are being honest. 

I really like Luiz, but of the ones we have I actually can see the reasoning behind selling him to generate some money and get a DM in. 

After seing yesterday, if we get a proper DM in who can run the midfield we can run a midfield of Ramsey - new DM - Chuk with Buendia and Coutinho infront of them. That would let us do what Gerrard wants in attack with the click clack plays. However would also leave us vulnurable for counters...

50 minutes ago, wilko154 said:

Why would we sell Watkins and Cash? And why would we sell Sanson, Nakamba or Luiz?

We need a DM and CB, and this window will then have been perfect.

In midfield we are currently short, we play with three central midfielders and we currently only have four available whilst Nakamba is injured. We should have six in the squad, ideally in the summer we can then look to move on one of the six and bring a youngster in to be the sixth first team player if they are good enough.

At centre back we currently only have three, we should have four. If Kerr Smith has been signed to be the fourth centre back this season, then in my opinion Hause needs upgrading as he's not good enough to be the third choice in our squad.

Upgrading a striker or a right back at this point of the season though is not something we will even be contemplating. Completely unnecessary. 

[Not this window] I think if we get a DM in, we will sell Nakamba or Luiz (if he doesnt sign a new contract). I would say the same about Cash and Watkins/Ings

19 minutes ago, sne said:

Wonder is we could trick Arsenal into selling us William Saliba? He's been great for Marseille this season and I really liked what I saw from him at Saint Etienne before he moved to Arsenal. Still only 20 y.o and Arsenal doesn't seem to be willing to give him a chance.

Could be a steal.

His contract is running down and I'd be very surprised he sticks at Arsenal after how they've handled his development and playing time.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Jbvilla909 said:

Purslow's comments were interesting. SG wants the age profile raising and proven winners which shows with Phil and Digne. 

Will definitely help the talented youth we've got and hopefully phase those lads in to replace them.

Two more in this window? Back up GK and CM?

I have mixed feelings on that...

• I see the need for the here and now and the cynic in me say's naturally so will SG, he wants to make a mark.
  • I also see the need for younger players too, for maybe after SG.

If SG did up and go at any stage, we don't want to be left with too many ageing players....its all about getting the balance right.

Dean was happy to go with youth, A) Easier to handle/manage b) He thought he would be with us for the duration, so he thought he would prosper from that strategy.

Ron Atkinson, did the "here and now" thing, with little focus on youth and for a while, we hade a really good team, then he left.

Its all about getting the balance right....I think with Kerr Smith, Josh Feeney, and our other youth prodigies, we probably are. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, sne said:

Could be a steal.

I think Arsenal will be weary of any of our targets lol.

They now know we have an eye for a player, and the potential to be up there with them, so an approach might just get him a new contract . Haha

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN
  • Haha 1

25 minutes ago, sne said:

Could be a steal.

Very strange signing by them unless they're planning really long term with him and have told him this.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

Need a DM would perhaps could play centre half in an emergency has we only one cover in that position. We have been crying out for a proper defensive midfielder ever since Glenn Whelan left the club, when we were in the championship. Which seems a ice age ago.

Boubacar Kamara seem like the obvious target but quite a few clubs looking at him.

If Villa are interested in signing a CB and why wouldn’t they be with Ming’s recent performances Tarkowski at Burnley should come under consideration? I know he would cost a lot and maybe Burnley wouldn’t let him go in this window with Woods already gone but Newcastle are desperately looking for a CB so Mings could go there paying for the Tarkowski transfer?

• Like 2
  • Shocked 1

1 minute ago, striker said:

If Villa are interested in signing a CB and why wouldn’t they be with Ming’s recent performances Tarkowski at Burnley should come under consideration? I know he would cost a lot and maybe Burnley wouldn’t let him go in this window with Woods already gone but Newcastle are desperately looking for a CB so Mings could go there paying for the Tarkowski transfer?

I'm sure he's out of contract soon. 

17 minutes ago, TRO said:

• I see the need for the here and now and the cynic in me say's naturally so will SG, he wants to make a mark.

If SG did up and go at any stage, we don't want to be left with too many ageing players....its all about getting the balance right.

Dean was happy to go with youth, A) Easier to handle/manage b) He thought he would be with us for the duration, so he thought he would prosper from that strategy.

Ron Atkinson, did the "here and now" thing, with little focus on youth and for a while, we hade a really good team, then he left.

Its all about getting the balance right....I think with Kerr Smith, Josh Feeney, and our other youth prodigies, we probably are. 

I see it slightly different given the Purslow interview that our squad is too young and inexperienced and I assume he’s not looking to destroy that but having, according to Purslow, the youngest squad last season that he wants to raise that age a bit.  He’s not looking to destroy that but it makes sense to have a bit of balance which gives the experience while the younger players develop and continue to learn.  The core of our squad and youngsters are young.  We continue to buy younger players like Kerr Smith.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, nick76 said:

I see it slightly different given the Purslow interview that our squad is too young and inexperienced and I assume he’s not looking to destroy that but having, according to Purslow, the youngest squad last season that he wants to raise that age a bit.  He’s not looking to destroy that but it makes sense to have a bit of balance which gives the experience while the younger players develop and continue to learn.  The core of our squad and youngsters are young.  We continue to buy younger players like Kerr Smith.

I agree - Purslow's comments strike me as trying to address a fundamental flaw: mental collapse and inexperience when we go behind, to change the mentality, to have winners with the experience to see through such patches. The types that will help mould the younger players.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, foreveryoung said:

Not sure where to post this since the Purslow thread has been locked, but sounds like more coming if possible, I'm guessing Bossuma.

Purslow would make a terrific soap opera villain. 

Also, the camera work here is dreadful. I know Christian is a good looking man, but the camera operator really needs to keep both hands on the camera. 

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, TRO said:

I think we should ask Alan Hansen for his views on the matter

1 minute ago, jacketspuds said:

Saliba is a good shout for CB, and I quite like the look of Maxence Lacroix at Wolfsburg. Bit of a unit at 6'3 and can play football from what I've seen so far.

We should sign Lacroix just because it would make us so much better on FIFA

• Haha 1