January Transfer Window - 2022

MaVilla

Just now, jacketspuds said:

I think we'd get it sorted regardless if we can agree a fee. If we wait until the summer I don't think we'd get him.

I think it's a longshot regardless. 

36 minutes ago, Adman said:

I think so too.  It's on hold because of Afcon, but as soon as that's done we'll go all out to get him.  Whether we can get him over others remains to be seen but I wouldn't be surprised considering past signings.  

I’m not sure AFCON will put it on hold if happening.  If he’s keen then the rest will be done between the clubs and his agents who are all here.  Maybe he won’t sign until he gets back but the groundwork would be done and it’ll just be a matter of signatures and medical.  The questions are, are we in for him? Will Brighton let him go? Will he come here? The admin side can be done without much involvement from him.

• Like 1

If we were to sign a new CB and DM, getting on our bench starts to become a real challenge.

Pick nine from:

• Steer (or new GK)
  • Hause
  • New CB
  • Young
  • Targett
  • Kesler-Hayden
  • Nakamba
  • Sanson
  • One of Ramsey/McGinn/Luiz
  • Chukwuemeka
  • Traore
  • Trezeguet
  • Bailey
  • Philogene-Bidace
  • Ings
  • Archer

With Wesley, El Ghazi, Davis and Guilbert on loan too - I don't think I can remember a squad with this depth before.

Personally I'd go:

Steer, Hause, New CB, Young, Sanson, Ramsey, Chukwuemeka, Bailey, Ings

Which would mean no place on the bench for Targett, Nakamba or Traore. 

Weve got too many options in that midfield/attack area now. We can only choose 5/11 of those players to start , having said that they will always be at least two players injured

Ings

Watkins

Buendia

Bailey

Coutinho

Traore

Ramsey

Carney

Sanson

Mcginn

Bidace

Ings/Watkins

Bailey     Coutinho    Buendia 

⭐⭐⭐
                               😍😍

That to me looks as good as any other team in the Premier League i kid you not !!!!  

Ramsey playing just behind those would be a dream and i think we can beat any side with that force, mcginn would be rotated with ramsey imo but JJ has shown how effective he can be.

2 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

If we were to sign a new CB and DM, getting on our bench starts to become a real challenge.

Pick nine from:

• Steer (or new GK)
  • Hause
  • New CB
  • Young
  • Targett
  • Kesler-Hayden
  • Nakamba
  • Sanson
  • Chukwuemeka
  • Traore
  • Trezeguet
  • Bailey
  • Philogene-Bidace
  • Ings
  • Archer

With Wesley, El Ghazi, Davis and Guilbert on loan too - I don't think I can remember a squad with this depth before.

Personally I'd go:

It fit bailey starts alongside buendia and coutinho with ings up top , everything else i agree with ... we have way too many players now! 

4 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

Pick nine from:

• Steer (or new GK)
  • Hause
  • New CB
  • Young
  • Targett
  • Kesler-Hayden
  • Nakamba
  • Sanson
  • Chukwuemeka
  • Traore
  • Trezeguet
  • Bailey
  • Philogene-Bidace
  • Ings
  • Archer

Personally I'd go:

Interesting, what is your starting eleven?

1 minute ago, RicRic said:

Ings/Watkins

Bailey     Coutinho    Buendia 

⭐⭐⭐
                               😍😍

We won't change our shape and balance to accommodate an extra one behind the striker.

We'll (hopefully) play one from:

Ings, Watkins.

Two from:

Coutinho, Buendia, Chukwuemeka, Bailey, Traore, Trezeguet and Phiogene-Bidace (and hopefully not Watkins).

And three from:

McGinn, Luiz, Ramsey, Sanson, Nakamba (and potentially Chukwuemeka and a new DM)

4-3-2-1.

That second line is overloaded and I think if we keep Coutinho we'll let El Ghazi, Trezeguet and at least one of Traore and Philgene-Bidace go in the summer.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, PerryBarrPet said:

Interesting, what is your starting eleven?

For the purposes of that bench I've gone with:

-----------------------Martinez---------------------

Cash-------Konsa--------MIngs------Digne

-------Luiz--------New DM----McGinn-------

-------------Buendia------Coutinho-------------

-----------------------Watkins-----------------------

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

I think you gotta have JJ in the squad...  and I think we need Bailey's speed and game breaking ability...  it's going to be extremely interesting to see what SG does when we are fully fit especially if we continue to add before the end of the window.  Going to be lots of options and lots of players that deserve to be on the pitch.  

Back to the window, definitely hoping we add a top CDM, which will allow us to play Bailey/Cout/Buendia and one of Ings/Waktins as a front 4, which would/could/should be absolutely lethal... and definitely think we need a CB especially if Konsa misses any time.

I can't see us playing a front four, Gerrard didn't do it with Rangers in Scotland and that's a position where you can dominate games. Trying to squeeze four forward into a side because they're all very good is what's done for Man Utd this season.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

Doesn't work for me OBE as the two players who are wide CMs drop deeper and cover - we don't need another DM there IMO. I'd have Luiz and Sanson CM/covering with Ramsey as the CAM to support the south American flairbags. 

22 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

We won't change our shape and balance to accommodate an extra one behind the striker.

I think people need to understand this is very much a fixed formation. We won't be changing it very often.

I've got concerns about it because we get ourselves confused defensively at times, but Gerrard always seems 'happy' after games even if we lose. As in, he references how players went wrong as opposed to something not working.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, lexicon said:

Doesn't work for me OBE as the two players who are wide CMs drop deeper and cover - we don't need another DM there IMO. I'd have Luiz and Sanson CM/covering with Ramsey as the CAM to support the south American flairbags. 

Yep, I get that one and I think there's a case for us needing a CB a lot more than we need a DM, there's definitely a case for saying that we could continue with what we have in the middle at the moment if Nakamba was fit, but I think the player we buy will be Nakamba's replacement anyway.

For me, the labelling of the player as a specific defensive midfielder is open to interpretation too, a good all purpose midfielder with some discipline and energy would fit just as well as a destroyer type - it could just say "New CM".

I think the formation really suits what we have.

4 minutes ago, lexicon said:

But that's the way we play. We won't be switching to 4231 any time soon.

We need a central player in there because it's the job of the wide midfielders to close down wingers.

It's one of the system limitations in my opinion, because it's just too much running for those guys when we're up against it. I suppose the long term idea is that we have the ball more and less defensive running backwards is required.

But McGinn/Ramsey/Sanson/Luiz are going to have to get fitter to do it regularly.