January Transfer Window - 2022

MaVilla

6 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

I forgot Chuk!

If we're looking to buy a CB, bring in a GK and buy a DM, then that bench is going to get very difficult to get onto.

"Marvelous, hi, I know you were excellent before your injury but erm..."

Mate i'm still stuck on this idea of an outstanding DM who can play CB just as well.

Not just because I do it all the time in FIFA.

It would give us so much in game flexibility and squad options as well.

1 minute ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Mate i'm still stuck on this idea of an outstanding DM who can play CB just as well.

Not just because I do it all the time in FIFA.

It would give us so much in game flexibility and squad options as well.

Boubacar Kamara is a perfect choice for a DM that can play CB. Shame he’s hanging on for a big payday when his contract is up in the summer.

6 hours ago, StewieGriffin said:

Centre back is a difficult one - Gerrard either has to relegate either the captain or a very promising player to the bench. We dont have a back up to Konsa, as Hause is effectively back up for the left side of the defence so if we bench Mings then Hause becomes 3rd choice left centre back and we'd still need a back up for Konsa, so we'd be signing 2 centre backs...

I therefore suggest we'll buy a right sided centre back and Konsa will be the fall guy 

Football outsider is saying that initial talks are being held with West Ham about Hause.

I think we’ll soon need to start selling soon. Trez for sure, but if we can get a huge amount for Watkins and Cash I’d definitely sell. We’ll need an upgrade on both anyway. If we got 60-70m for both then that’s a real steal. Then depending on our DM situation and who’ll we get, I think we need to look at offloading one of Sanson, Nakamba or Luiz. We can’t just keep adding players while not selling when those players have price. We leave it until they don’t make the bench then ask for buyers. Cash and Watkins work very well, but their football intelligence is zero. I’d replace both at summer. 

16 minutes ago, abdulaziz1 said:

I think we’ll soon need to start selling soon. Trez for sure, but if we can get a huge amount for Watkins and Cash I’d definitely sell. We’ll need an upgrade on both anyway. If we got 60-70m for both then that’s a real steal. Then depending on our DM situation and who’ll we get, I think we need to look at offloading one of Sanson, Nakamba or Luiz. We can’t just keep adding players while not selling when those players have price. We leave it until they don’t make the bench then ask for buyers. Cash and Watkins work very well, but their football intelligence is zero. I’d replace both at summer. 

Why sell Cash and Watkins though? Would they not make solid depth? I know we need to make some money through sales too but Gerrard talked about wanting 2 quality players at every position so if we sell guys like those two we’d need to get a replacement as well as the upgrade. I also wouldn’t count on Archer and KKH stepping up into those roles for a couple of years either.

6 minutes ago, Aston_Villan4 said:

Why sell Cash and Watkins though? Would they not make solid depth? I know we need to make some money through sales too but Gerrard talked about wanting 2 quality players at every position so if we sell guys like those two we’d need to get a replacement as well as the upgrade. I also wouldn’t count on Archer and KKH stepping up into those roles for a couple of years either.

I’d sell Watkins even if it was this window. For Cash I’d wait until summer.

Its about opportunities rather than need. We can’t think that we can have two senior players in each position. You can see Watkins isn’t happy himself.

Watkins and Cash prices won’t get better than now. While we’re using them. We’re having Kesler as a backup for Cash now. Before that we went to the season without a backup actually (well Tuanzebe). 

Getting 60m for players you’re planning to upgrade on? I think that’s for sure what I’d do. We need depth, but what we don’t need is reducing the prices of our players. 

For example, if we sold Bent after his first season with us, we could easily get 15-20, but since Benteke took over, no one was ready to afford him until his contract ran out with loans. Ofcourse we couldn’t gamble by selling him that time as Benteke was new. 

But now we’re having Ings who’s proven. We don’t have much to play for (unless our next run we do some miracle at. It’s our full chance to build without the risk of losing our star player. 

The only issue would be is the PR and that our fans will think we’re still that stepping stone and a selling club. 

If we sold El Ghazi and Trez at the right time, we’d get a decent money. Well, Trez can’t fault much as he was injured. But I’d have sold him last winter anyway. 

12 hours ago, KAZZAM said:

Problem with loaning a CB is that you rarely get a decent CB who's available. I mean look at Liverpool the best they could get during there injury crisis last year was Ozan Kabak and now he plays for Norwich.

We need someone up and coming a bit like how Leicester plucked Wesley Fofana from Ligue 1 in that ilk.

Let just sign Fofana

Purslow's comments were interesting. SG wants the age profile raising and proven winners which shows with Phil and Digne. 

Will definitely help the talented youth we've got and hopefully phase those lads in to replace them.

Two more in this window? Back up GK and CM?

4 hours ago, abdulaziz1 said:

I know the saying that "everyone is for sale at the right price", but for me these three are players that are most definitely keepers imo. I don't have a problem with selling fringe players, but these are regular starters and are among our better players. It isn't as if we need the money or they are itching to leave. We also would never get £60-70m for either of the two that you mention. 

• Like 1

Why would we sell Watkins and Cash? And why would we sell Sanson, Nakamba or Luiz?

We need a DM and CB, and this window will then have been perfect.

In midfield we are currently short, we play with three central midfielders and we currently only have four available whilst Nakamba is injured. We should have six in the squad, ideally in the summer we can then look to move on one of the six and bring a youngster in to be the sixth first team player if they are good enough.

At centre back we currently only have three, we should have four. If Kerr Smith has been signed to be the fourth centre back this season, then in my opinion Hause needs upgrading as he's not good enough to be the third choice in our squad.

Upgrading a striker or a right back at this point of the season though is not something we will even be contemplating. Completely unnecessary. 

• Like 1

I also think it's Bissouma we're waiting on based on Purslows comments and Gerrard's no smoke without fire comment when talking about transfer speculation pre-utd game on Monday.

I'd imagine we're waiting on him to return from afcon, I also wouldn't be surprised if we go for phillips even though he's currently injured.

If we can't get our targets now, we will probably just wait until summer.

One other interesting comment from Purslows was that we view Jan and summer windows as one window not two, which suggests they deliberately waited review again in Jan.

2 more first xi players seems to be the target this window.

1 hour ago, Jbvilla909 said:

Purslow's comments were interesting. SG wants the age profile raising and proven winners which shows with Phil and Digne. 

Will definitely help the talented youth we've got and hopefully phase those lads in to replace them.

Two more in this window? Back up GK and CM?

we need a DC dude, with Konsa probably injured we now have 2 x senior CBs.

CB would appear to be the big need in this squad - I don't think there's any chance we let Hause go in this window and we need one more, even if just for numbers.

We've been linked at players of all types in just about every other position, but I've not seen many names linked at centre half and indeed there isn't a name that stands out as ne we've been connected to - are there any credible named links?

• Like 1

Just now, OutByEaster? said:

CB would appear to be the big need in this squad - I don't think there's any chance we let Hause go in this window and we need one more, even if just for numbers.

We've been linked at players of all types in just about every other position, but I've not seen many names linked at centre half and indeed there isn't a name that stands out as ne we've been connected to - are there any credible named links?

The only one I’ve seen, though I believe he is injured now is Souter (sp?)