January Transfer Window - 2022

MaVilla

14 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

God I'd love us to sign a 5' 10" Japanese midfielder to sit.

People's heads would blow up.

to be fair, that japanese player Arsenal signed has done really well.

Just now, Tomaszk said:

He's been excellent.

He's taller than this midfielder we're linked to as well :flag:

tbf tho, its not purely about "size", you can have a wet lettuce 6ft 4 dude, and a complete animal of a player who is 5ft 10in.

Keane was an animal, Kante is really good, but Veira was also really good etc etc etc.

We just need a DM who is capable on the ball (preferably good), who is also an animal and aggressive, now.....preferably height is an advantage, but its not the be all and end all, but it does help in other areas of the game.

5 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

Yep, I get that one and I think there's a case for us needing a CB a lot more than we need a DM, there's definitely a case for saying that we could continue with what we have in the middle at the moment if Nakamba was fit, but I think the player we buy will be Nakamba's replacement anyway.

For me, the labelling of the player as a specific defensive midfielder is open to interpretation too, a good all purpose midfielder with some discipline and energy would fit just as well as a destroyer type - it could just say "New CM".

I think the formation really suits what we have.

This is the crux for me - I'm really happy with the squad at the moment besides the cover at CB. I might be in the minority but I don't think we desperately need a CM as much as a lot of people think, as with this new system and the use of, as you said, all-purpose midfielders rather than dedicated defensive mids, I think we've more than enough to make it work.

I'm also mindful of the fact that we have Tim Iroegbunam on the verge of getting some minutes and really think he's something special - he's basically been playing that role for the U23s and bossed it at that level. Big step up, mind. 

It all depends on whether we want to make another statement signing or if we want to not make further changes and develop what we have. I'd be fine with the latter.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

tbf tho, its not purely about "size", you can have a wet lettuce 6ft 4 dude, and a complete animal of a player who is 5ft 10in.

Keane was an animal, Kante is really good, but Veira was also really good etc etc etc.

We just need a DM who is capable on the ball (preferably good), who is also an animal and aggressive, now.....preferably height is an advantage, but its not the be all and end all, but it does help in other areas of the game.

Yep.

I think most people know this :)

16 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

I forgot Chuk!

If we're looking to buy a CB, bring in a GK and buy a DM, then that bench is going to get very difficult to get onto.

"Marvelous, hi, I know you were excellent before your injury but erm..."

Maybe we should start campaigning for more substitutes to be allowed. 

tenor.gif

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, jacketspuds said:

Would imagine we will go all out to sign Bissouma. It just makes sense (in my head) based on whats happened in this window so far.

Listening to Purslow's interview was really encouraging.

I'm sure you're right. The targets are Bissouma and a cover 4th CB with a loan cover keeper added in.

Gerrard told us back in December that if he got the players (plural) he was after the fans would be excited. He also said we only had plan A target's and no plan B. If we couldn't get them in , he was prepared to wait until this summer.

Purslow has just told us that Coutinho was one of these targets identified in early December, but Digne was not. He described Lucas as an opportunistic signing, which they moved very quickly on because he fitted their plan perfectly. That doesn't make him a plan B signing because he simply was not available until Rafa inexplicably sidelined him.

So that still leaves at least one other 'named' target who was agreed on in those Zoom calls in December. 

Gerrard has told us which position this target plays when he damned Luiz with faint praise as the old saying goes. He said "Dougie's been playing as a number 6 of late and has been playing 'relatively' well".  Two things to take from that .... SG doesn't think Luiz is a number 6 and he only thinks he's been doing an average job there. He also said that Tuanzabe had left and he likes to have four CB's, but that CB wouldn't have been one of the "exciting targets" and wouldn't have been factored into the December discussions because at that time he expected Tuanzebe to be here until the summer.

So the position that this "exciting signing" plays in is no.6 and that leads us to Bissouma as the 'named' target. Purslow's interview told us it's not Zakaria (or any of the other young CDM's that we were linked to last summer) when he highlighted the fact that SG had told them he wanted to bring in older players with more experience to add to our team, which was the youngest first team in the league last season.

Purslow/SG must believe that Bissouma is gettable due to his contract situation, and Christian seemed confident that the couple of players we are pursuing can be signed by the end of this transfer window.

I might be wildly wrong, but I honestly expect Bissouma, a back up right footed CB and a loan keeper to be happening soon.

• Like 1

.................Watkins

Coutinho.......................Buendia

Ramsey............amazing dm........McGinn

Digne ...........Mings........Konsa......Cash

.........................Martinez

Got to have Ramsey in there. Got to 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, villabromsgrove said:

I'm sure you're right. The targets are Bissouma and a cover 4th CB with a loan cover keeper added in.

Gerrard told us back in December that if he got the players (plural) he was after the fans would be excited. He also said we only had plan A target's and no plan B. If we couldn't get them in , he was prepared to wait until this summer.

Purslow has just told us that Coutinho was one of these targets identified in early December, but Digne was not. He described Lucas as an opportunistic signing, which they moved very quickly on because he fitted their plan perfectly. That doesn't make him a plan B signing because he simply was not available until Rafa inexplicably sidelined him.

So that still leaves at least one other 'named' target who was agreed on in those Zoom calls in December. 

Gerrard has told us which position this target plays when he damned Luiz with faint praise as the old saying goes. He said "Dougie's been playing as a number 6 of late and has been playing 'relatively' well".  Two things to take from that .... SG doesn't think Luiz is a number 6 and he only thinks he's been doing an average job there. He also said that Tuanzabe had left and he likes to have four CB's, but that CB wouldn't have been one of the "exciting targets" and wouldn't have been factored into the December discussions because at that time he expected Tuanzebe to be here until the summer.

So the position that this "exciting signing" plays in is no.6 and that leads us to Bissouma as the 'named' target. Purslow's interview told us it's not Zakaria (or any of the other young CDM's that we were linked to last summer) when he highlighted the fact that SG had told them he wanted to bring in older players with more experience to add to our team, which was the youngest first team in the league last season.

Purslow/SG must believe that Bissouma is gettable due to his contract situation, and Christian seemed confident that the couple of players we are pursuing can be signed by the end of this transfer window.

I might be wildly wrong, but I honestly expect Bissouma, a back up right footed CB and a loan keeper to be happening soon.

Agree with 95% of this. The only thing that I would say is that I wouldn’t be surprised if we brought in a CB that can really challenge Konsa and Mings for a starting spot. Solely based on the players we’ve signed so far, and our reported target in midfield.

not sure of the validity of the links to Wataru Endo, however signing a Japanese player would be huge for our growth, its well recognised that purchasing a good and highly regarded player in Japan can make the transfer fee back and more in merchandising etc, as well as grow the fan base via the player.

Maybe we should look at players like Kamada, Endo, Kubo etc, and see if we can pull one of them off, even if its for the wider squad depth.

Wouldn't shock me to see us go for Hamer at Coventry. Gerrard wanted him at Rangers and would be a cheap back up/rotation option, can't see Coventry wanting that much for him. Apparently Gerrard was at the recent Coventry game vs Birmingham in November too.

37 minutes ago, MWARLEY2 said:

.................Watkins

Coutinho.......................Buendia

Ramsey............amazing dm........McGinn

Digne ...........Mings........Konsa......Cash

.........................Martinez

Got to have Ramsey in there. Got to 

He'd definitely be ahead of Sanson and Luiz. I like Luiz, and he's been playing out of position, but he's infuriating to watch at times with his general wafting around, lack of physicality and erratic passing.

Ramsey, McGinn, New DM should be the 3, with Sanson and Luiz on the bench with the latter being back up DM until Nakamba returns. Luiz can then get his move away in the summer (when we'll have 5 senior central midfielders, plus Chukwumeka and A. Ramsey) and use those funds towards other areas

11 minutes ago, Creeper said:

Wouldn't shock me to see us go for Hamer at Coventry. Gerrard wanted him at Rangers and would be a cheap back up/rotation option, can't see Coventry wanting that much for him. Apparently Gerrard was at the recent Coventry game vs Birmingham in November too.

It's Hamer time. 

1 hour ago, Tomaszk said:

But that's the way we play. We won't be switching to 4231 any time soon.

We need a central player in there because it's the job of the wide midfielders to close down wingers.

It's one of the system limitations in my opinion, because it's just too much running for those guys when we're up against it. I suppose the long term idea is that we have the ball more and less defensive running backwards is required.

But McGinn/Ramsey/Sanson/Luiz are going to have to get fitter to do it regularly.

Or they need to accept that they are going to have to get subbed / benched more often so that they can do that amount of running for 65 minutes per match rather than trying to do it for the whole 90 minutes.  As soon as McGinn and Luiz are not automatic picks week in / week out the better we become as a team.  For me I think they are the "holders" of the shirt for the 2 other CM positions but Sanson, Chuk and Ramsey should be putting them under real pressure.  Whereas at the moment I think that Luiz / McGinn "need" to start whenever possible because of their experience and better all round contribution.  But once McGinn can focus more on his high press - JJ becomes his obvious "rival" and similarly Luiz as a playmaker has Sanson as his.  Meanwhile Chuk offers us that something different in the CM / ACM position when Plan A isn't working or, more likely in the next 18 months we want to take advantage of a tiring opposition.