January Transfer Window - 2022

MaVilla

Me no think that Tagliafico is the all out attacking fullback that people seem to think we need in Gerrard's system where the fullbacks are required to provide the width, I think he's more of a defensive minded player. I suspect that if there's any truth to this link then it's an old one dating back to last summer when Smith was manager. He might not be as glamorous a name but I think Hickey makes more sense :twisted:

• Like 1

1 minute ago, villa4europe said:

Cheers 

I thought they played blind CB and he had health trouble for some reason, strange from ajax then but if that's thr case that makes it sound even more like agent fishing 

i suppose all i will say, is if we can get him on the cheap he does look a very skilful and progressive left back with an engine, but it does seem a strange link i think.

As you say, maybe an agent link.

9 hours ago, Rolta said:

They signed him in January when we were in the Championship and they were in the Prem for about £18million + with a lot of add ons. We were linked with him as I remember, but we had no chance against a Prem team.

Signed him in Jan 2020.

He was there for us in Summer 2019 if we so wished but guess if he hadn't hit the ground running he'd have just been lumped in with all the others we signed who weren't quite ready for prem.

I also get the feeling DS would've put him in as CF straight away which isn't really his best position.

Took a while to warm up for West Ham but huge part of their front 3 now.

20 minutes ago, useless said:

Me no think that Tagliafico is the all out attacking fullback that people seem to think we need in Gerrard's system where the fullbacks are required to provide the width, I think he's more of a defensive minded player. I suspect that if there's any truth to this link then it's an old one dating back to last summer when Smith was manager. He might not be as glamorous a name but I think Hickey makes more sense :twisted:

Pretty correct.

Saw him play loads for Argentina. Defensively solid but dosen't offer a huge amount going forward so not a huge upgrade on Targett once we cross the halfway line.

Agree on Hickey aswell. That would be a good one to get in given he's playing really well in Serie A and will eventually come back to UK.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, El-Reacho said:

Think the Alvarez ship has sailed. He’ll be off to Real Madrid or United. Hottest up and comer in the world at the moment.

If we were genuinely in for him and didn’t meet their valuation then we missed a real trick. 

5 hours ago, nick76 said:

So we've had approaches but haven't talked to Ajax yet...  Can't believe people still think this guy is a Tier 1 journalist.  All kinds of ambiguous nonsense like this then rushes to tap in an obvious story just before the official source announces it.  

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, KMitch said:

So we've had approaches but haven't talked to Ajax yet...  Can't believe people still think this guy is a Tier 1 journalist.  All kinds of ambiguous nonsense like this then rushes to tap in an obvious story just before the official source announces it.  

Nearly every transfer in professional football will go to the agent first to see if the player would be interested so that the club doesn't waste time negotiating with a club only to be told to do one by the player.

Whether Tagliafico is a plausible rumour or not I don't know, but it'd be very possible for us to have "made approaches" without that being directly to Ajax.

Was there any link to Coutinho that sparked comments a few pages back?

Would be an absolutely immense signing even though as far as I'm aware it doesn't really fit our criteria.

Just look at the threat Buendia provides. Having Coutinho too would make our attack that much more potent, and would mean our ball retention abilities were that much stronger. 

Having a player of his calibre would be more astute than bringing in a defensive midfielder who ends up being average for whatever reason in our setup.

Attack is the best form of defense. You see that both in teams who are masterful at retaining possession and teams which press the ball intelligently and relentlessly to force opponents into errors and conceding possession. 

I'd rather Coutinho than a DM who ends up being outdone by the divisions best attacks more often than not.

2 hours ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

Tagliafico is the smokescreen, it's Hickey we are after...

Wouldn't disagree.

We make a lot of enquiries for players.

Edited by Tomaszk

5 hours ago, KMitch said:

Doris has held informal talks with their tea lady. Negotiations are at the one lump or two stage at the moment. She’ll hit them with the classic Earl Grey gambit then swoop in with an outrageous bid. The days of CEOs slapping bids on the table are outdated now. I wouldn’t be surprised if we see a chocolate Hob Nob or two introduced into the negotiations if things get serious. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

4 hours ago, A'Villan said:

I'd rather Coutinho than a DM who ends up being outdone by the divisions best attacks more often than not

I get your point that you’d prefer a great striker than a crap DM. However surely the aim is to recruit a great DM not a crap one. Given that DM is a position we need  strengthening more than attacking options, I don’t we’re interested in Coutinho. Even before we start talking about what he’d cost. 

• Like 3

Coutinho would be amazing. But we cannot be in the market for a 20 mill a year player salary. Unless Barca want to give him away for free to get rid of the salary. Then it would be a hard decision for the board to make . Reality is that Chumps Leagie clubs would be all over him but its go0d to dream eh 

I'm guessing coutinho is a lazy Liverpool link to Gerrard paired with his agent and Barca desperate to get him out of there, he's about 6th or 7th choice there with teenagers getting debuts over him 

He was a great player, not a clue what a mid table PL team would get from him, he's 30 this year earned a lot of money and not played a lot of football, hard to know what mindset hed turn up with 

• Like 1