January Transfer Window - 2022

MaVilla

30 minutes ago, Tayls said:

…I think the level of attacking talent is far greater than the level of defensive talent….

That is an excellent point. Annoyed that  I’d never thought of it that way before.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, samjp26 said:

Just saw a journalist on Twitter say things are progressing with Hickey. Saw a reply asking about Joe Gomez, to which the journalist replied that Gomez is likely going to Real Madrid.

Of course I thought “oh, it’s a troll account” but no. Joe Gomez is going to Real Madrid!? Wtf 😂😂😂

Be staggered if Gomez ends up at Real Madrid. Just our luck we will end up with him for an enormous amount of cash.

Do we have any links to defensive midfielders, left backs or centre half’s we think are credible or excite us? 

Hickey seems to be a rumour that doesn’t go away. Gomez has obviously been linked but what about that defensive midfield spot? I know we’ve been linked to Kamara but I don’t think he’s that defensive is he?!

3 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

Do we have any links to defensive midfielders, left backs or centre half’s we think are credible or excite us? 

Hickey seems to be a rumour that doesn’t go away. Gomez has obviously been linked but what about that defensive midfield spot? I know we’ve been linked to Kamara but I don’t think he’s that defensive is he?!

The Marseille Kamara is but I doubt he'll end up here even thou we've been mentioned.

2 minutes ago, Neari said:

If we could sign one player it would be Bissouma. We cried out for someone in the summer and he would make us a guaranteed top 10 team

Has he been cleared of being a complete wrong'un yet?

Seems to be some links to this Hickey guy, seems he's very highly rated, also some links to Patterson, but they seem rather tenuous, both highly rated though.

i think if we spent c.8-10m on Hickey, c. 8-10m on Patterson (or any other talented LB & RB), then spunked the rest on a CDM i would be happy for a Jan window.

I suppose the hard question is, how much do we have to spend, if its 20m, thats a very different window to if its 60-70m.

if we had 70m, i would spend 8-10 on Hickey, 8-10 on Patterson, then 46-50m on Bissouma......

I would also try really hard to offload Kalinic, Trezeguet, El Ghazi, Wesley & Davis to at least get some cash back in, or offload some wages.

Edited by MaVilla

Its funny how no one mentions on here now about Daichi Kamada. The Hipsters was well into him, One season wonder? v

image.thumb.png.52e85d463d75fc840a0cb47e1fdf183b.png

Also good to see people in here who watch Bologna FC 1909 on a weekly bases.

Edited by messi11

1 hour ago, MWARLEY2 said:

Fb stalkers suggest Hickey has unfollowed Bologna and has started to follow McGinn Gerrard and Villa on IG . I have no idea what this means but didnt that happen with Pape Sarr as well 

On Instagram he follows loads of women with fake tans and trout pouts , a few footballers and Arsenal and Juventus 

nothing Villa related that I can see 

edit - actually scrolling a bit further he also follows Villa and Liverpool , but don’t think we can read much into it 

Edited by tonyh29

1 hour ago, tonyh29 said:

On Instagram he follows loads of women with fake tans and trout pouts , a few footballers and Arsenal and Juventus 

nothing Villa related that I can see 

edit - actually scrolling a bit further he also follows Villa and Liverpool , but don’t think we can read much into it 

He also follows Arsenal and Newcastle. Weirdly also Juventus but not Bologna. Bored football fans always read too much into social media tho.

7 hours ago, Neari said:

If we could sign one player it would be Bissouma. We cried out for someone in the summer and he would make us a guaranteed top 10 team

Not much point signing a player who has the possibility of a prison sentence hanging in the background.

I don't think CB needs fixing as much as LB and a no6, but it is an area we should look at maybe in the summer.

Mings brings a lot to the side but he often spoils it by making careless errors. Konsa isn't exempt from that either and I can think of several mistakes he has made that have led to goals or penalties against us. 

Not only that, but I'd rather have three good CBs competing than 4 CBs, two of which are bang average (Tuanzebe and Hause). Mings is suspended for the next game and that means playing Hause or Tuanzebe which means we will be weaker. If we had someone like Botman there would be no obvious drop off in quality. Tuanzebe may also have his loan deal cut short if we agree to it and Hause is out of contract this summer so a new CB should be on the agenda. 

I'd be pretty happy with just a LB and DM/CM in January as long as they upped the quality of the first team. Hickey has huge potential but how quickly he would take to the PL I don't know. Wonder whether we have other LBs in mind who are a bit more proven. I would like a marquee signing in midfield, someone like Zakaria or McKennie, I think this would improve us greatly, but we will need to be prepared to spend 20-30m as that's what it will cost.