January Transfer Window - 2022

MaVilla

Shame we are not flying high enough to be able to attract José Gayà from Valencia who are apparently in need of another fire sale. Would be a fantastic signing and Valencia are supposedly forced to let him go for less than they'd like.

He's being linked to Barca who will drum up some more debt to add to the £1.5-2 billion hole they are already in.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Villaphil said:

I’d have Bailey as LB in the current formation and look in the market for a 6 and a CB as a priority.

If you can turn Ashley Young into a LB, why not Bailey?

Not sure I want to watch Bailey’s runs into nothing from a LB position 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

In some ways, I think this season, we remind me of West Ham last season ( And season before ? ), when it seems they bought some very good players, who were all performing under par.

They then loaned Lingaard, who was brilliant, confidence started flowing, they had to get rid of 1 or 2 expensive " flops " and then found their feet, with previously under performing players seeming to finally come good.

I think we need to have patience with some of our signings and manager.

Like it or not, we are very much in a transition period.

They signed a striker on loan who bagged a hatful of goals. That's the exception though they are plenty of duds floating about.

I'm sure if we could get a goalscorer cheaply or on loan we would do it. However just because west ham got it right last winter doesn't mean it's easily done.

14 hours ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

In some ways, I think this season, we remind me of West Ham last season ( And season before ? ), when it seems they bought some very good players, who were all performing under par.

They then loaned Lingaard, who was brilliant, confidence started flowing, they had to get rid of 1 or 2 expensive " flops " and then found their feet, with previously under performing players seeming to finally come good.

I think we need to have patience with some of our signings and manager.

Like it or not, we are very much in a transition period.

Absolutely this

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, hippo said:

I'm sure if we could get a goalscorer cheaply or on loan we would do it. However just because west ham got it right last winter doesn't mean it's easily done.

I am not trying to be smart or rude here but is that not like saying 'I am sure if the bank offered 10000% interest rate I would open an account'. Every PL team would happily sign a goalscorer cheaply. They just don't exist. Yes, some strikers were purchased cheaply and turned out well but the club didn't know they would when they signed them.,The concept of a cheap goal scorer is something that doesn't exist. Discussing getting one in Jan is like discussing signing Lukaku and Salah on loan in Jan. It just is not a possibility. Furthermore, we don't need more attacking players, we have lots of good ones and youth ones to step up.

Saying all that, I do believe it is the defence that needs addressing and if we do bring players in they will be at the back or maybe DM

Edited by Peter Griffin

3 minutes ago, Peter Griffin said:

I am not trying to be smart or rude here but is that not like saying 'I am sure if the bank offered 10000% interest rate I would open an account'. Every PL team would happily sign a goalscorer cheaply. They just don't exist. Yes, some strikers were purchase cheaply and turned out well but the club didn't know they would when they signed them.,The concept of a cheap goal scorer is something that doesn't exist. Discussing getting one in Jan is like discussing signing Lukaku and Salah on loan in Jan. It just is not a possibility. Furthermore, we don't need more attacking players, we have lots of good ones and youth ones to step up.

Saying all that, I do believe it is the defence that needs addressing and if we do bring players in they will be at the back or maybe DM

I'm pretty sure @hippo was making the exact same point, albeit with some brevity.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Peter Griffin said:

I would prefer Januzaj myself.:)

I don’t think SG is looking at wingers, I think if we strengthen any positions it’ll mainly be in the centre of the pitch or possibly a left back. I’m not sure we’ll do a lot in January. 

Would a Danny Ings, JWP exchange of some sort be a good idea? Probably a summer thing if it happens. I doubt they’d let their captain go now and we’d be wary of leaving ourselves light up front at this point in the season. Unlikely I guess but stranger things have happened. 

36 minutes ago, jacketspuds said:

Excited about the links to Hickey. Hopefully a few links to a top class CDM will come through soon as well. I do wonder if having Gerrard here will help attract a slightly higher calibre of player.

Of all the links/bullshit stories, this is the most likely to happen, really hope it does.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KMitch said:

Digne is reportedly on £120k/week and will demand much more than that with his new contract.  Ings is currently our highest paid player and is supposedly on a similar amount as it is...

That is a lot, then again I don't think his transfer fee would be that high if Rafa wants rid. Ings is on far too much money considering his output so far. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sne said:

Shame we are not flying high enough to be able to attract José Gayà from Valencia who are apparently in need of another fire sale. Would be a fantastic signing and Valencia are supposedly forced to let him go for less than they'd like.

He's being linked to Barca who will drum up some more debt to add to the £1.5-2 billion hole they are already in.

Gaya's a great shout if it were possible.

Is Digne even that good, or are people just suggesting based on the fact that he scores the odd good goal. He's not someone I've ever taken much notice of, but you have to ask why he's not wanted by Everton, also he will be 29 next season.

Just had a look on an Everton forum and first thing I observed was this 'He's been crap for two years now' and then this 'Technically very solid but defensively and athletically very poor. Worth far more than his ability'.

23 minutes ago, DaveAV1 said:

I don’t think SG is looking at wingers, I think if we strengthen any positions it’ll mainly be in the centre of the pitch or possibly a left back. I’m not sure we’ll do a lot in January. 

Would a Danny Ings, JWP exchange of some sort be a good idea? Probably a summer thing if it happens. I doubt they’d let their captain go now and we’d be wary of leaving ourselves light up front at this point in the season. Unlikely I guess but stranger things have happened. 

Never thought of an Ings / JWP swap. Could be a good move but I don't think Saints fans would accept it. I think Danny has burned his bridges there. I wouldn't be surprised to see Toon come in for Ings, that could be an interesting one to make Gerrard think

• Like 1

Aribo usually plays either on the right side of a front three for Rangers, or in central midfield as an attacking midfielder. The thing about him playing in central midfield is that when he does play there he doesn't look like a No.10 playing out of position, he actually contributes to the general midfield play and is a good tackler, so if we were to sign him and play him there I don't think it would be like when we've tried to play Buendia as one of the midfield three, or last season when tried to do the same with Barkley. Although I'm basing much of that from when I saw him playing for Charlton.

On 26/12/2021 at 20:20, MWARLEY2 said:

Nathan Patterson would be the one. Full back with huge potential.19 years old. Unfortunately has Tavernier in front of him

Has he got a drink problem?😀

Edited by TRO

40 minutes ago, Peter Griffin said:

Maybe Gerrard thinks differently we don’t know yet. Decent argument can be created for a number of positions to be looked at if possible at both ends of the pitch.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Peter Griffin said:

Never thought of an Ings / JWP swap. Could be a good move but I don't think Saints fans would accept it. I think Danny has burned his bridges there. I wouldn't be surprised to see Toon come in for Ings, that could be an interesting one to make Gerrard think

Gerrard has been very positive about Ings when talked about him, doubt he’s not even contemplating letting him go even if Newcastle came him

30 minutes ago, VillaFaninLondon said:

That is a lot, then again I don't think his transfer fee would be that high if Rafa wants rid. Ings is on far too much money considering his output so far. 

So far is the key part.  Most of his time on the pitch was in a poor performing side early on so a bit of patience for a proven striker may be needed.

• Like 2