Villa Park - Atmosphere [merged]

MaVilla

I’ve been to both anfield and old Trafford as a neutral. The atmosphere at both was woeful. 
Villa Park, is one of the most emotive grounds I’ve ever been at. If the team are giving there all and going for it, the crowd will be one of the most raucous you will find. If the team aren’t trying then that is reciprocated with the crowd 

Edited by mikeyp102
  • Like 4

4 minutes ago, mikeyp102 said:

I’ve been to both anfield and old Trafford as a neutral. The atmosphere at both was woeful. 
Villa Park, is one of the most emotive grounds I’ve ever been at. If the team are giving there all and going for the crowd will be one of the most raucous you will find. If the team aren’t trying then that is reciprocated with the crowd 

Yeah, it's a reciprocal thing for sure.  You need the team to give the crowd something to latch on to.  We've just had a couple of tense games. 

The difference is at Anfield and Old Trafford they will generally be on top for most games so the crowd have no such excuse. 

• Like 1

I think as you become more successful, you lose an element of atmosphere. Prices go up, tourists start coming to games and a lot of focus is placed on the corporate side of things. Not only that, you become so good that games against lower PL teams aren’t that competitive because you know you’re going to win. One of the beauties of a full VP is you never know the result. 

I might be wrong, but thats my theory anyway. I’ve been to both Liverpool and Arsenal relatively recently and honestly, the atmosphere is completely dead. 

Ultimately, one day, a full VP might be dead quiet, but that might be because we’ve become a global superpower!

A good scouse friend of mine is always bemoaning the atmosphere at Anfield now. Just says it’s full of people who only go to one match a season (for the experience), buy half and half scarves and take photos of players taking corners. They bring the money in though..

Edited by Delphinho123
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, blandy said:

There are few if any grounds where the atmosphere is always banging.

Exactly. Opposition down to ten men yesterday and Anfield was like a morgue. Fans react to what happening on the pitch, not the other way round. 

The first half against Newcastle, the ground was silent, it was the tension. Totally relaxed and livened up in the second half.

Against Brentford, it was much better, not singing every minute but definitely louder and I would probably agree with vibrant but not raucous.

Yes, we need some more songs. The closed doors haven’t helped, people need to get into the swing of things again.

11 hours ago, NeilS said:

The Atmosphere yesterday was very good from my position in the Doug Ellis stand. I thought the crowd responded well to us going a goal down, and were supportive throughout. I didn’t hear any stick given out to the players.

In the past I would say the European nights have been second to none in terms of atmosphere. I particularly remember the first game versus Inter Milan when Klinsmann, Brehmer and Lothar Matteus were in their team, the VP crowd manage to put a very good Inter side off their game. It was supportive when we had the ball roaring us on, and extremely hostile when Inter got the ball. If we could replicate that night on a regular basis we would be onto a winner.

Barcelona and Santos in the 70’s were great nights with Cruyff  and Pele respectively. 

the one against Madrid was electric as well when Collymore scored 

14 minutes ago, Follyfoot said:

Barcelona and Santos in the 70’s were great nights with Cruyff  and Pele respectively. 

the one against Madrid was electric as well when Collymore scored 

I am not quite old enough for the first two games you mention, but I can imagine they must have been amazing. The Atletico Madrid game I do remember the roar when Collymore almost broke the net. What a noise.

• Like 2

Man Utd playing at Anfield or Elland Road is very similar to a Villa Blues game. A lot of hatred, hostile , usually a cracking atmosphere and aggro on and off the pitch. Leeds/Liverpool v Crystal Palace would be nowhere near the atmosphere, and same if United played away at Palace . Just using palace as an example. Villa Park on its day is brilliant but I’ve always said it needs to be more hostile . The Inter Milan game in the 90s has been mentioned, and that’s what I’m talking about. Getting behind the team but also getting on the oppositions backs when they have the ball. When the opposition have a corner or throw in, make sure the player who’s taking it gets a earful of abuse aimed at him. Make them feel uncomfortable, even if it does come across borderline aggressive/violent. Villa Park is just too nice for the opposition most of the time. Great facilities, great pitch , fans too willing to get on their own players backs. 

Elland Road and Anfield was a rough away day for fans back in the 70s/80s. Not sure Villa Park was ever considered a rough ride by most away fans. All fan bases are different and although we are certainly passionate and have high expectations, we probably aren’t as hostile as your Leeds etc . I’d rather us be nasty than nice and welcoming, but that’s just me. 

• 3 weeks later...

Nothing wrong with the atmosphere today, was superb. 

I think 5.30 is an optimum kick off time, enough for people to get well buzzing but not long enough to get completely clattered. 

At one point there were 2 major songs going at the same time in the lower Holte.  Not heard that for years, reminded me of the old Holte where it would happen quite often. 

Edited by sidcow
  • Like 4

VP in full voice is unparalleled. Where we lag behind other teams I feel is we need to score before that happens, we're usually pretty subdued before that unless it's a derby or something. Grounds lime Selhurst Park, the fans are at it from the off. It's why we always struggle there.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, sidcow said:

Nothing wrong with the atmosphere today, was superb. 

I think 5.30 is an optimum kick off time, enough for people to get well buzzing but not long enough to get completely clattered. 

At one point there were 2 major songs going at the same time in the lower Holte.  Not heard that for years, reminded me of the old Holte where it would happen quite often. 

I know people who were meeting at 9am, I can guarantee they would have been clattered 

8 hours ago, Keyblade said:

VP in full voice is unparalleled. Where we lag behind other teams I feel is we need to score before that happens, we're usually pretty subdued before that unless it's a derby or something. Grounds lime Selhurst Park, the fans are at it from the off. It's why we always struggle there.

We dont lag behind other teams on that front. Pretty much every ground I'm england is the same from that perspective. Selhurst Park might be an outlier.

Tbf I've been impressed the two times I've been there in person as an away fan and not relied on what the tele tells me about atmosphere 

It's crazy to me how the likes of Goodison Park, St. James Park and Villa Park have such a better atmosphere than the likes of Chelsea and Man City or even Old Trafford who really only came back to life after Ronaldo's return.

Edited by villalad21

7 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

At a point in the second half today, a song started in the Upper Trinity. I mean it was Allez, allez, allez, but it started there in full voice and was then picked up by The Holte.

I wonder if the Upper Trinity being the only area that isn't predominantly season ticket holders means there's a change in the demographic up there - there appear to be signs of life - similar in a way to when the Lower North became the cheapest part of the ground and underwent it's renaissance into the lovable angry terrier it is today.

One to keep an eye on anyways.

Yeah I'm no longer a season ticket holder and ended up in the upper trinity. The atmosphere up there was pretty good considering it's the upper trinity.

• Like 2

With such a long wait for us to be live back at Villa Park I expected Newcastle to have that kind of atmosphere but for reasons that got discussed it didn’t happen. 

That atmosphere last night it’s what it’s all about. Felt so so good to be part of that kind of atmosphere again.  Mane wants to play Palace every week. I want to play Everton every evening! 

Edited by villaglint

Â