Austin MacPhee

Strog

After initially being quite excited by his appointment his drab and momentum destorying long throws seemed to suck the life out of us.

If he goes Im more than happy.

If he stays then Gerrard will hopefully be telling him to sit the **** down and get on with it. 

I didn't pay particularly close attention to Villa or get to watch any of the matches at all during October, so coming to this thread now and seeing how detested MacPhee's influence became is quite striking -- the most recent impression I had was that his appointment was something of a masterstroke. I don't doubt the current consensus but it's almost amusing to see

• Like 4

Nothing wrong with the concept, quite the opposite in fact. 

He just doesn't seem to have worked. 

The 100% reliance on the long throw is wrong, it should be a variation. 

Our offensive free kicks and corners are way too elaborate to come off regularly. More often than not a wicked whipped in ball will create more havoc than a game of footy tennis before trying to lob it in. 

Set piece defending has been awful. 

So nothing wrong with a set piece coach, just need one that works. 

• Like 1

I suspect our new manager will address his future, once he has his feet under the table. He will probably know if he has more to offer than that Ings goal and long throws, such as getting our defence organised at set pieces. I think the appointment of was a forward thinking one and it was one that Scotland later followed.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, sidcow said:

Nothing wrong with the concept, quite the opposite in fact. 

He just doesn't seem to have worked. 

The 100% reliance on the long throw is wrong, it should be a variation. 

Our offensive free kicks and corners are way too elaborate to come off regularly. More often than not a wicked whipped in ball will create more havoc than a game of footy tennis before trying to lob it in. 

Set piece defending has been awful. 

So nothing wrong with a set piece coach, just need one that works. 

On our offensive set pieces, the issue is that our players struggle to beat the first man from corners. You can do all the planning in the world but you need to get the ball in the box

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, villan-scott said:

Confirmed as staying which I was surprised about. Thought Gerrard had his own set piece guy. 

Culshaw is his set piece guy and he is joining us. 

We'll have 2 set piece coaches. 

Danny Murphy will explode! 

• Haha 4

Got no problem with him staying 

It was due to the lack of other coaches that we had that he seemed elevated to the inner circle that seemed weird to me, he was effectively smiths 3rd in command, it looks like he'll be down the pecking order with Gerrard 

• Like 4

Â