Austin MacPhee

Strog

I think it definitely suggests that these were club appointments, but I think it's worth noting that Smith certainly embraced MacPhee as part of the coaching team - he took a prominent place on the touchline and was given licence for significant input on matchdays - there's no reason for Dean to have done that if he didn't want to.

It'll be interesting to see what his presence will be on the sideline in the next few games, I'm not sure Gerrard will want him in hir ear initially, but I guess that could change over time. 

He's very highly rated and well regarded in what he does - new manager gets to have a look and decide I guess.

• Like 1

Only just noted that Austin is at Villa!! What do you guys think of him? We knew him for 4 years when assistant at Hearts...........not the most popular amongst  JT fans.

Cannot see SG wanting him especially when bringing his own backroom guys.

My worry with MacPhee has never been the quality of his work, but more whether he is taking up too much mental bandwidth. Are the players spending too much time being briefed on, and thinking about, set pieces at the expense of their open play responsibilities?

Having said that, as the squad settles, and everyone becomes more comfortable with the setup, we might find that he turns out to be an inspired appointment.

As with everything, need to give it time. 11 games isn't enough. Let him have a full season, and we can review at the end.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tomav84 said:

Everyone loved him when we were doing cool looking set piece drills and scoring from a set piece v Man u, now he's a 'clown' apparently 

Strange bunch sometimes aren't we

The one against United was literally put it in the 6 yard box, near post run by the biggest and strongest player.

Awesome. It's the convoluted load up the box at every fricking opportunity that's the problem. We've lost our minds with it.

Attack. On top. We have momentum. They are rattled. We're on top. Let's get at them. They're at sixes and sevens. Quick chuck the ball on. They are on their knees!!!!

We get a throw in anywhere remotely close to the penalty box....wait 2 hours for Cash swap sides or decide who is going to launch it. Wait another 10 mins for Hause Mings or Konsa to get up. Wait another 10 mins whilst the opposition set themselves up.

Throw ball in. Lose possession. Get countered.

It's wank.

I'm all for set piece coaches. He seemed our entire tactic this year was a throw in. 95% gameplan- get a throw on.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Lord Willard said:

I'm all game about clever free kicks and corners but watching Matty Cash run to left wing to take a throwing to the edge of the box is an absolute joke and I hope the new gaffer tells him to pack it in 

Agree with this. Good set pieces is obviously very important but we just seemed to go mental with it. Do a long throw once in a while by all means but watching us do it every time we got a throw in anyway near their 3rd was so painful.

• Like 2

Â