Match Thread: Watford v Villa

limpid

The newcomers are loving it and were looking like we're hating playing.

Watford are like Brentford, they are treating it as if it were there last ever football match and they are more hungry than us.

2 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

I'm worried for him if it don't change from this. 100m, first game or not, it's a mess out there!

But that’s the problem, we’ve spent 90 mil to replace one player and not invested at all elsewhere in the team

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, briny_ear said:

Only following this by text on the BBC sports app (tried AVFC commentary but it was hard to get any sense of what is going on),

It seems we are dominating possession yet being overrun in defence.

Can anyone explain the paradox?

Its called being caught on the counter-attack. Watford have stifled our attack and just waiting for one of our players to lose to the ball before they all rush up the pitch and overrun our defence.

I'm not sure how you're supposed to counter this tactic but that's not my job, its the manager's. And I don't think he's made any change to our tactics despite seeing us getting overrun time and time again;

• Like 1

The whole team don't look up for it and they also don't look anywhere near match fit. It's going to be a long slow start to the season. Put Bailey on immediately and try to threaten them with some pace.

• Like 2

McGinn was OK, Nakamba showed signs of being more progressive, but wasn’t great on balance.

Very much an unfamiliar bunch and a poor pre-season, would always struggle against a settled promoted team at home first game. Cannot see where a goal is coming from. AEG not contributing especially. Ramsey on LHS and Bailey on the right for me.

1 minute ago, Kuwabatake Sanjuro said:

Cash deserves to be booked for time wasting on the throws. As shambolic as the performance has been he has annoyed me the most out there.

Wouldn’t be an issue if there was anyone showing for him to throw it to. We get a throw in and everyone’s either dead on their feet or stuck to their man

Just now, It's Your Round said:

They’ve ripped us apart on the break. We can’t deal with Sarr’s pace at all. It seems we’ve forgotten how to tackle as well. It’s going to take time for the new players to find their form, we’ve looked disjointed going forward and look short on ideas. The two goals had a huge slice of luck for Watford, but they made it happen so deserve to be 2-0 up. 

We’re better than this, it just might take time to prove it though. 

Yes agree - but we look pedestrian up front. Buedna has hardly touched the ball - Ings much the same.