Finn Azaz

villalad21

Goal, assist, and presumably man of the match as he was comfortably the best player on the pitch, looked like he was going to make something happen every time he got the ball, but didn't overplay, played it simple when he had to, and for all his creativity doesnt't look like a luxury player, helps out with the general midfield play in terms of tracking back, trying to win tackles and so on. Has really quick feet for a big tall player, and can go either way, not saying he's anywhere near as good of course, but reminded me of Zidane in that sense.

Will be interesting to see him in pre season with us, as can't see any reason why he won't get a run out in some of the friendlies.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, useless said:

Has really quick feet for a big tall player, and can go either way, not saying he's anywhere near as good of course, but reminded me of Zidane in that sense.

Just seen that he has another thing in common with Zidane, joint Citizenship with Algeria.

6 hours ago, useless said:

Will be interesting to see him in pre season with us, as can't see any reason why he won't get a run out in some of the friendlies.

Do you think we'll bring him in?

It's interesting this one - I'm to sure what our initial motivation was, but he's certainly outperformed expectations - I just have a feeling we'll cash in before he ever has a chance to visit Bodymoor.

It's a strange one, like we rented him for a year and did him up.

19 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

It's a strange one, like we rented him for a year and did him up.

Yeah, I got a TR3, bought it for 1200, uh, done it up, now it’s worth three grand.

• Haha 1

I don't think he will come back with a view to being part of our squad next season, but as an Aston Villa player I can't think why he wouldn't join in with pre-season training, he could have his pre-season with the U23s, but if the likes of Barry, Aaron Ramsey, Kesler-Hayden and so on, are going to have their pre-season with the first team, then I think it would be harsh not to let Azaz do the same, even if he's not as highly rated as those others, gives him some reward for how well he's done and allows us to take a closer look at him in training, and might even help towards him getting a better loan.

Of course it could just be that another team comes in for him early and he has his pre-season with them, he's done well enough that I'm guessing it will mean he will have a plenty of offers. We might even get some bids for him, previously I would have thought that maybe we'd cash in, but now wondering if that might be hasty, as if he goes on loan to the championship and does well which I don't think is out of the question, then we would get a much bigger fee.

If he was to go on loan to the championship and exceed expectations like he has done this season, that's when he might even come under consideration for our first team squad.

13 hours ago, VillaChris said:

Think he's a little too old to make it here but was impressed by him today and tidy finish for the goal so will have a solid career in lower leagues.

He’s 21! I know we seem to be playing a lot of 18-19 years olds at the moment but we can’t write this guy off as too old at 21! 

Anyway, the summer will be interesting. Does a decent championship club come in? If so it would be interesting to see how he would get on with the step up. 

• Like 4

3 hours ago, useless said:

I don't think he will come back with a view to being part of our squad next season, but as an Aston Villa player I can't think why he wouldn't join in with pre-season training, he could have his pre-season with the U23s, but if the likes of Barry, Aaron Ramsey, Kesler-Hayden and so on, are going to have their pre-season with the first team, then I think it would be harsh not to let Azaz do the same, even if he's not as highly rated as those others, gives him some reward for how well he's done and allows us to take a closer look at him in training, and might even help towards him getting a better loan.

Of course it could just be that another team comes in for him early and he has his pre-season with them, he's done well enough that I'm guessing it will mean he will have a plenty of offers. We might even get some bids for him, previously I would have thought that maybe we'd cash in, but now wondering if that might be hasty, as if he goes on loan to the championship and does well which I don't think is out of the question, then we would get a much bigger fee.

If he was to go on loan to the championship and exceed expectations like he has done this season, that's when he might even come under consideration for our first team squad.

My Dad is a Newport County fan (they're my second team because of this).  After last night, he messaged me saying they could do with Azaz staying next season - he really likes him.  Reckons he may not make the Premier League, but is way too good for League 2.  Only thing he needs to add to his game is to be more aggressive.

I went to the Newport game yesterday, decent match and Azaz is definitely too good for that level, I don’t know if he’s PL calibre to be honest, but he was clearly one of, if not the best player on the pitch yesterday.

Shout out for the Newport fans too, we sat in the away end and there could only have been 300 of them max but they didn’t stop singing for the entire game.

10 hours ago, useless said:

I don't think he will come back with a view to being part of our squad next season, but as an Aston Villa player I can't think why he wouldn't join in with pre-season training, he could have his pre-season with the U23s.

I think this is the thing for me, I struggle to see him as an Aston Villa player; the whole deal to me seems to be something else, an investment rather than a transfer, it almost feels like we're more like his agent than his club.

Still, he has been excellent this season and has certainly outperformed expectations, so perhaps there is some hope that he might be an Aston Villa player at some level at some point.

Do we know how long the contract he signed was for?

I think a few of the older academy players we brought last season were probably with a view to selling them on for a profit, whilst also allow for the idea that if they exceed expectations we can keep them. We will probably have similar ideas about some of the players that have come through our academy, not good enough for us perhaps, but we can still develop them, help their career, and make a profit.

• Like 2

Â