Euro 2020 : Semi finals and final

BOF

Just now, Cizzler said:

“I hate the booing of national anthems. England fans are shit.”

Just two independent sentences then?

They were, although clearly linked by the fact that England fans booed the Danish anthem.

That doesn’t mean other fans don’t do the same. 

It was a soft penalty and I’d hate to see it given the other way - but England were battering them at that point. The last 10 of full time and the first 15 minutes of ET were a siege. A goal was coming regardless imo.

3 minutes ago, Genie said:

There’s lots of stuff that England fans do that other fans do too. It’s just that England fans seem to do the entire bingo card where other nations do bits of it.

And also, as someone who is English, I feel an element of shame when it’s English fans booing anthems or shining laser pens in a goalkeepers’ eye or booing taking the knee etc.

I couldn’t give a shit if Italian fans do it. I have no link there. 

Anyway, my ratings from last night. 

Pickford: 5. A liability. Surely we have better goalkeepers?
Walker: 7. Great pace and didn't do a lot wrong
Stones: 6. Didn't have a lot to do
Maguire: 6. See above
Shaw: 7. Nowhere near as good without Grealish to link with
Phillips: 6. Got caught in possession a lot. Isn't great against a high press team
Rice: 5. Passed forward once all game
Mount: 6. Anonymous
Saka: 7. Adventurous
Kane: 7. Better
Sterling: 8. Terrified them

Grealish: 7. Couldn't get into it. No surprise being brought on at 70 minutes every time. At least made England more positive going forward
Foden: 6. Touched the ball a couple of times
Trippier: ? Absolutely no idea

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Cizzler said:

I was at the Spain / Italy game. They both booed each other’s national anthems… Not an ‘English’ thing and as if people get in a tizz over it, who cares

I don;'t get the fuss. It's always happened, not a new thing. It's just part of the pantomime. There's always rugby if you want bollocks like standing with away fans and applauding the opposition's good play and being nice to each other. Football is about petty tribal rivalries!

Edited by blunther
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, blunther said:

I don;'t get the fuss. It's always happened, not a new thing. It's just part of the pantomime. There's always rugby if you want bollocks like standing with away fans and applauding the opposition's good play and being nice to each other. Football is about petty tribal rivalries!

I enjoy that you think being able to stand with fans of the opposite side without any trouble and applauding good play from the other team are negative traits to have :D 

3 minutes ago, bobzy said:

I enjoy that you think being able to stand with fans of the opposite side without any trouble and applauding good play from the other team are negative traits to have :D 

I do! I like going to the cricket where that happens, but it's a completely different type of atmosphere. I enjoy the convival, relaxed atmosphere of the cricket, but it's a completely different kettle of fish to a simmering cauldron of hate like when we play the shit at Villa Park. Only one of those circumstances really gets the blood flowing. It's the tribal, animimalistic nature of football that makes it matter so much!

Edited by blunther

2 hours ago, AJ said:

Since my country stumbled at the first qualification hurdle by failing to be a part of Europe, I don't care who wins, as long as it is a good game and not won by shithousery.

Doesn't seem to stop you in the Eurovision though 🙂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, darrenm said:

Pickford: 5. A liability. Surely we have better goalkeepers?

The stats will probably show that Pickford is one of England’s all time greatest goalkeepers. 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, GarethRDR said:

This final's going to be diet catenaccio/shithousery vs full-fat catenaccio/shithousery.

If either side has a 1 goal lead with 20 minutes to go it’s going to be very difficult to watch

3 minutes ago, TheStagMan said:

Doesn't seem to stop you in the Eurovision though 🙂

It wouldn't surprise me if UEFA was considering " special invitations". 

Oh wait. We don't have any money.

• Haha 1

Once Denmark made those subs England dominated. When Jack came on Denmark got pinned back. Up until then it was a very good even game England maybe shaded it until the Danish subs.

As for the final I'd put England as favourites. I genuinely believe that they're going to win. Jack will play some part. 

I think the issue with the diving is that English media and players think they are pure when it comes to cheating and are happy to have a go at Latin nations or foreigners when they dive. When it happens to an English player its brushed under the carpet, I think other countries already accept they do it

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, JoshVilla said:

The Italian press criticising England for diving is a bit rich.....

I agree.

Shouldn’t any criticism be levelled at the officials? We could all see it.

If they booked one of the early players to do it then it’s sorted.

Edited by Genie

Â