Euro 2020 : Semi finals and final

BOF

The grealish sub made sense... 

He wanted to go 5 at the back to counter the Danes bringing on more attacking players 

Sterling was the best player on the pitch 

Grealish is his 1st choice sub, probably will be in the final, might even start the final in place of saka (doubt it) 

The only real criticism you can aim at him is the want to go 5 at the back rather than stay on the front foot but that's to be expected with him and to be fair it worked 

1 minute ago, rodders0223 said:

No it was purely tactical to go 5 at the back and kill the game, whilst retaining Sterling who was MOTMs pace and ensuring Kane, our top penalty taker remained on the pitch as contingency.

There's an echo in here 😉

Just now, a m ole said:

‘Soft penalty’ is very kind 😂

Its a premier league penalty 

Joked all tournament that "man utd get that" when the refs have waved play on after a player goes down in the box 

Last night we got one 

1 minute ago, Lord Willard said:

Italy are going to be ALOT tougher than Denmark. I'm so nervous already. 

Can we do it? 

It's a one off game. It can be done and Italy certainly have shown some vulnerabilities. Think it's nailed on we'll revert to the "Germany formation" for that game to try and shore us up against their attacking threat.

I feel like it should be a tactic for ours to let them have a bit of the ball to try and bring Chiellini and Bonucci out and exploit our pace.

20 minutes ago, Straggler said:

don't get the idea why anyone would support Italy because they are disgusted with our "gamesmanship'

Because they're Danish and just lost to a dodgy penalty?

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Straggler said:

I don't get the idea why anyone would support Italy because they are disgusted with our "gamesmanship'. Did none of you see Italy closing out games when a single goal up in this very competition? We are no better and no worse than the team we will be facing. I'm happy we are in the first final of my lifetime. I've seen Lampards goal not given, the hand of God goal and a million other injustices that have defined tournaments. Last night we got a soft penalty, but it doesn't change that we were still the better team.

The pearl clutching for Jack's honour is a little bit beyond me. Southgate will succeed or fail based on his decision making. Last night he succeeded. For me he asked himself the question "who is better at defending a one goal lead, Grealish or Trippier" and the answer to that question is an easy one. I didn't agree that he was asking the right question, but we did win. I'm going to enjoy the moment. 

I did, but Italy didn't do it to us, Denmark, in a semifinal... 

Going 5 at the back encouraged an exhausted Denmark to go toward. Frankly embarrassing to watch players sit deep and run it into the corner flag. Honestly, England could have scored more. 

1 hour ago, HongKongVillan said:

Understood the decision but absolutely gutted for Jack. Any decent manager would have wrap his arm round him and explain the reason to him, keep his chin up. 

What gets me though, is the likes of Mount and Saka who constantly gets ahead of him, with reason that they are both better defensively, I’m sorry, I could not see any of that last night from Saka, and possibly could not see that from Mount for the whole tournament so far. But of course, they are both likely to start the match.

I don't understand the decision. Denmark played with 10 men whole 2nd half of extra time...

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, The_Steve said:

Going 5 at the back encouraged an exhausted Denmark to go toward. Frankly embarrassing to watch players sit deep and run it into the corner flag. Honestly, England could have scored more. 

But we didn't need to...

Its not what you want when you're buzzing and want them to go for the kill but sensibility saw us through 

If they'd kept 11 on the pitch maybe the 5 would have made even more sense 

Can just imagine some people on here after the Derby play off final.

Anyway, whilst everyone was celebrating, drinking, cheering, singing, hugging, just absolutely raging at the fact we had to hang on against a dead on their feet Derby!

Disgusting!

Some people just hate the England team no matter what.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, The_Steve said:

Not sure it’s embarrassing to be playing safely with 15 mins of extra time left for a place in a major final. 

• Like 2

Just reading the last 10 or so pages, some of you guys need to learn to enjoy the moment a bit. We deserved the win whichever way you look at it. It wasn't perfect or pretty but job done. 

On to the final.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Genie said:

That was disappointing. Kane’s collapses were absolutely blatant and the officials were buying them every time.

I still feel a bit hollow tbh. To win the game via cheating doesn’t sit quite right. Obviously the Jack humiliation on top too.

Same here, and it's not about hating England as some of the happy clappers will claim, I've felt exactly the same over the years watching the likes of Young or Trezeguet flop for penalties for Villa. I don't want to see it, it's now I I want my team to win, and it ruined my enjoyment of what should have been a very sweet celebration.

On to the final, and I'll be hoping England win it, but I live in hope that one day they'll actually crack down on simulation because I'd have happily seen Kane, Sterling and Henderson on bookings for their penalty box flops.

Edited by Davkaus
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, bobzy said:

Yeah, I hate the booing of the national anthems.

England fans are shit. 

I was at the Spain / Italy game. They both booed each other’s national anthems… Not an ‘English’ thing and as if people get in a tizz over it, who cares

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, PieFacE said:

Just reading the last 10 or so pages, some of you guys need to learn to enjoy the moment a bit. We deserved the win whichever way you look at it. It wasn't perfect or pretty but job done. 

On to the final.

I think the other part of the last 10 pages or so which is fun is support projection. This is VillaTalk, not EnglandTalk.

This automatic assumption that anyone who is English should feel pride at whatever the national team does is wrong.

• Like 1

Just now, Cizzler said:

I was at the Spain / Italy game. They both booed each other’s national anthems… Not an ‘English’ thing and as if people get in a tizz over it, who cares

I don’t think I said it was an English thing?

Â