Euro 2020 : Semi finals and final

BOF

I live with a Leicester fan and a Man City fan and the discussion all season has been which of Foden, Maddison or Grealish do you play? And could you play all 3 behind Kane. 

We went into the Tournament with Maddison not even in the 33 and we've seen Saka, Sancho, Rashford, Sterling and Mount all get minutes and Lingard unlucky to miss out. 

You can't pick all of them but you do have to pick from a bunch of average keepers and shaky, slow centre backs along with some very pedestrian midfielders (as good as they might be).

Southgate seems to be maligned by a minority still for not picking a 3-1-6 formation and just throwing on everyone's favourite exciting talent all at once.

We needed to be tight at the back to protect the defence and solidify the middle. I'm sure if we had Pogba and Kante to choose from instead we'd be a bit more attacking. He's been dealt a top heavy hand and has been tasked with getting this team winning and he's done it. 

But my goodness me are there some people on here who are ever so keen to hate every minute of it.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Xela said:

I'm happy England won, but don't you feel subbing Jack off was wrong? (caveat - assuming he wan't injured)

Unless we are all about winning at any cost? Including embarrassing your players and diving for pens. 

Maybe i'm a little precious at the moment but I'm finding it hard to enthusiastic. That may change by Sunday of course. 

I'd compartmentalize Villa Jack and England Jack and enjoy the fact you're in a major final for the first time since 1966. Even if that penalty call was bogus. The final will be very fun regardless. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, bobzy said:

You honestly think you feel that penalty is marginal if it’s given against England (or Villa)?

I think the penalty was exactly as VAR should work. 

Yeah it was soft. But it wasn’t obvious enough to overturn. 

I thought the Kane one was a definite pen so it evens out for me anyway. 

anyway I’m not as miserable as some others on this thread. I’m absolutely **** delighted. Angry at the treatment Grealish is  getting but absolutely thrilled that we’re in the final. I can’t wait for Sunday

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Sterling was great tonight. A joke that Kane got MOTM. If you score in the Euros you get MOTM. Sterling was the best player on the pitch. 

If that guy had more of an end product he’d be one of the best players in the world

Agree with this.

Also if you want to look on positives for Villa one more is Jack Grealish just got potential glimpse of his future at a Man City or other jam packed team of stars......... from indispensable at Villa to bench option. 

Edited by ciggiesnbeer
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Stevo985 said:

God reading this thread you’d think we went out in the groups. 

**** cheer up you miserable ****. We’re in the final of the Euros. If you can’t enjoy this then why do you even like football?

VT must be the most cynical place on the planet

Load of man babies.

Bet they cried when their siblings picked their favourite action man at play time :lol:

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Just now, lapal_fan said:

Load of man babies.

Bet they cried when their siblings picked their favourite action man at play time :lol:

That’s not even a good analogy. 

It’s more like they picked their favourite action man at play time, the best action man in the world, but they’re crying because it doesn’t give them a reach around 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

With 5 to 6 subs per game it is a squad game and Southgate is there to make the decisions.

At the time it seemed odd but we saw the game out so it was justified. At least he brought jack on tonight.

Teams that have won tournaments in recent year are solid and pragmatic not Kevin Keegan throw everyone up front formations.

International football  can be, well, frankly a bit dull. If dull gets England to win a major tournament then so be it. 

I would take a Portugal 2016 ahead of a Brazil 1982.

Edited by The Fun Factory
  • Like 3

My guess is that the referee regrets calling the penalty but was handcuffed by VAR not seeing enough to overturn it.

That was as soft as they come. He likely felt pressure to make that call.

England got the Old Trafford treatment. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, OutByEaster? said:

I've calmed down a bit now, I think it's a terrible decision and an awful bit of man management, but as long as we're winning he'll get away with it.

What I will say is that Sterling has been superb all tournament, I didn't want him starting, but he's been exceptional in just about every game - he can be incredibly proud of his performances.

Of the other wingers, I don't think that Sancho or Saka have really taken their opportunities and I think Jack has added something every time he's been brought on - in a sensible world he'd start on Sunday - I'll cling to that hope.

The score has vindicated Gareth of the notion of that, and we don't know what he has said to Jack.

We all love Jack, but we have to see the bigger picture......you are spot on about Sterling.

However, I don't think the other wingers have done much wrong, either.

We have to factor in Sterling has established himself, so is fearless to try things......I think the other lads with limited caps, are still feeling their way and trying to avoid doing anything wrong.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, maqroll said:

My guess is that the referee regrets calling the penalty but was handcuffed by VAR not seeing enough to overturn it.

That was as soft as they come. He likely felt pressure to make that call.

England got the Old Trafford treatment. 

I'll bet the Italians would have been calling it out as soft, if they got it....................much.

We need to accept what comes our way.....because when it don't, the opposition, don't give a toss.

Anyway.....I have seen them given before.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ciggiesnbeer said:

Agree with this.

Also if you want to look on positives for Villa one more is Jack Grealish just got potential glimpse of his future at a Man City or other jam packed team of stars......... from indispensable at Villa to bench option. 

I was thinking the exact same thing...

I was also thinking, Jack doesn't get played in anywhere near the times he does for Villa, He is an " On the ball" man, thats where the benefit lies......I think he finds it alien, playing without the ball for longer periods than he does for us.

as one example...Phillips even apologised to Jack, when he skyed a shot over, when Jack was in a better position.....it will get better, when Jack is more established and demands the ball more.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, rbcuk said:

Just listened to Mourinho on talksport, even he said it’s never a pen and how on earth can var give it 

Regardless of any of this the better team clearly won today. 

Was actually surprised of the difference on the teams. Thought it would be closer 

• Like 1

Â