Euro 2020 : Semi finals and final

BOF

My take on the match ...

• On the whole England played really well. Especially when the Danes were being harassed.
  • They played against a solid Denmark side.
  • As before, too often England waited for the defence to settle before attacking.
  • Despite England having two teams of eleven that are world class (give or take) they had trouble unlocking  the set Denmark defence.
  • It took England an own goal and an iffy/soft penalty to get ahead.

My peeve is that England plays such stodgy football and not letting loose their exciting talent. I'm happy for the win and sad for the football.

• Like 1

Since my country stumbled at the first qualification hurdle by failing to be a part of Europe, I don't care who wins, as long as it is a good game and not won by shithousery.

Before this game, England was my second team after Denmark, but after the game I really hope that Italy wins on a penalty that isn't there, just so You can taste your own medicine. Furthermore, I changed to Italy, bacause of the boohing during our national song, Kane and Sterling constantly falling over and 1 or more idiots with laserpens...ohhh and Southgate substituting Grealish 2 times

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Taxahunter said:

Before this game, England was my second team after Denmark, but after the game I really hope that Italy wins on a penalty that isn't there, just so You can taste your own medicine. Furthermore, I changed to Italy, bacause of the boohing during our national song, Kane and Sterling constantly falling over and 1 or more idiots with laserpens...ohhh and Southgate substituting Grealish 2 times

Yeah, I hate the booing of the national anthems.

England fans are shit. 

22 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

I thought the pen was soft but the ref was one of the softest I've seen all tournament, gave a lot of stuff where players just fell over for both teams 

That was disappointing. Kane’s collapses were absolutely blatant and the officials were buying them every time.

I still feel a bit hollow tbh. To win the game via cheating doesn’t sit quite right. Obviously the Jack humiliation on top too.

24 minutes ago, Genie said:

That was disappointing. Kane’s collapses were absolutely blatant and the officials were buying them every time.

I still feel a bit hollow tbh. To win the game via cheating doesn’t sit quite right. Obviously the Jack humiliation on top too.

Not fussed about the Jack sub personally - clear tactical decision - but agreed on the rest.

Goes to show how much more important Villa are than England for me :D 

• Like 1

Understood the decision but absolutely gutted for Jack. Any decent manager would have wrap his arm round him and explain the reason to him, keep his chin up. 

What gets me though, is the likes of Mount and Saka who constantly gets ahead of him, with reason that they are both better defensively, I’m sorry, I could not see any of that last night from Saka, and possibly could not see that from Mount for the whole tournament so far. But of course, they are both likely to start the match.

Edited by HongKongVillan
  • Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, Genie said:

i think i've been brainwashed by the PL where that stuff happens every game, the disappointment is that this tournament has been great because they've not put up with up, contact hasn't automatically been a foul, until last night...but it was both teams

and to be honest i dont really care, or about the jack stuff, or even really about the poor football quality stuff any more, if we were a successful top team then i would but we're not, first final in my life time, id take jack staying on the bench for the final and sterling doing a hand of god to win it at this point

3 hours ago, Giro said:

Come on then, which one of you cry babies called into talk sport tonight? 

Should be one of the produest summers in a long time for being a Villa fan but unfortunately Villa fans in general on TS, social media and here have absolutely embarrassed the club 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Thoughts on the game last night.

Good start, really went for them in the first 15 mins, then Denmark came back into it encouraged by some sloppy play from Pickford and England. Their goal was terrific, best freekick of the tournament although Pickfords positioning wasn't great. England then lost their composure for a few minutes understandably but managed to gain their composure and push on just before half time which lead to the equaliser. Second half England grew stronger and stronger and from 70 mins they dominated, and probably should have won it in normal time but wasn't to be. That continued into extra time and although a soft penalty England deserved to take the lead as they continued to press. IMO it was a dangerous call by Southgate to sit back in the second half of extra time, and you could see Southgate urging the team to defend higher up the pitch as the Danes gave it one last push. I personally would have liked England to have got a third as they had very good opportunities in the last 2 mins but they saw it through. Really pleased for the players. Sterling was unplayable at times and terrified their defenders in the box. Bad luck for Jack, I thought it was an overly negative substitution that instead of shoring up the team actually made us more vulnerable but they saw it through.

1 minute ago, Jono62 said:

The only suprise with the Grealish substitution is that it wasn't to bring Mount back on, but you know Gareth asked if he could.

No it was purely tactical to go 5 at the back and kill the game, whilst retaining Sterling who was MOTMs pace and ensuring Kane, our top penalty taker remained on the pitch as contingency.

Â