Julián Álvarez

Delphinho123

https://www.goal.com/en/news/julian-alvarez-the-ex-real-madrid-kid-spearheading-river/onxx4gbgla9i1lqtl48adnfbh

This year, though, and particularly since South American football recommenced following the Covid pandemic, the young forward has been unstoppable. His successful penalty against Argentinos Juniors on Sunday took him to seven goals in 14 games since the restart, five of those coming in River's Libertadores campaign.

Now he is a regular in the first team - either in the middle of attack or out on the right, where his pace and technique make him a nightmare for any defender to stop.

Even the most ardent River fans recognise that if he is to keep up his sparkling form it will not be long until a permanent move to Europe beckons again.

1 minute ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

After chatting with a couple of River Plate supporters on the twitters, they seem to think he is more of a second striker type, who can also play off the right.

One compared him in style to Thomas Muller. 

Maybe this is the new 10 but almost all his games have been CF or RW according to transfermarkt

He can play on either wing, as an attacking midfielder, or as striker, although when he plays as a striker he drops deep and plays almost as a No.10.

There's a write up on him on this wyscout page.

Finding these spaces normally associated with a number 10 and making an average of 6.2 progressive passes per 90 minutes has seen Álvarez create 2.78 shots on average

1 minute ago, Tomaszk said:

If this is true then we've already signed three first team players before Spurs, Everton and Palace have sorted their manager out.

NSWE:

EBF36402-CA86-4732-BAA1-1A026B009355.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I know nothing about him but I can't help get excited about signing players from River Plate. Brings back memories of my 10 year old self signing Pablo Aimar and Javier Saviola on Championship Manager.

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, Laughable Chimp said:

That's a lot of right wingers we're having in our squad and aside from Trez, they're all pretty expensive too. I think we might be moving one of them to the AMC position.

I imagine this Alvarez fellow can play all across the front 3 (he played 1 game at LW last year but got 3 assists so very impressive). And obviously Buendia can play in the 3 behind the striker. I suspecf we will see Jack as a 10. And Buendia, Alvarez, or Traore outwide depending on the matchup. 

Just now, paul514 said:

Maybe this is the new 10 but almost all his games have been CF or RW according to transfermarkt

Barkley essentially played as a second striker for most of his time here. When he could be arsed. Watching Alvarez's clips he certainly looks like the player we hoped Barkley might be, but of course with the added YouTube caveat. 

That he can also play as a striker and provide cover/competition for Ollie is a bonus. He looks quick, too. 

Â