Dwight McNeil

tomav84

I don’t actually think we’ve got one top 10 standard winger at the club presuming Buendia and Grealish are classed as 10’s.

Luckily, both of the aforementioned can play out wide. 

I don’t think Traore, El Ghazi or Trezeguet are good enough. 

41 minutes ago, Jareth said:

Season 1 GIF by Carnival Row

I’ll tell you what @Delphinho123 knows... He knows all about signings that are due to happen on a Wednesday, but might not be this Wednesday or might not be a Wednesday based on UK time, or they might, or in fact they might not happen on a Wednesday at all, or even EVER. But you have to give him credit for thinking he knows something!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

I don’t actually think we’ve got one top 10 standard winger at the club presuming Buendia and Grealish are classed as 10’s.

We don't play 442 and hardly any team in PL does bar Burnley Southampton if you're talking classic wingers. WTH does Traore need to do to get your approval? Would've been looking at double figures goals and assists if played more than 2/3rds minutes debut season

4 minutes ago, Kiwivillan said:

We don't play 442 and hardly any team in PL does bar Burnley Southampton if you're talking classic wingers. WTH does Traore need to do to get your approval? Would've been looking at double figures goals and assists if played more than 2/3rds minutes debut season

Let’s not go into this again. He loses the ball way too often, gets dispossessed and is too slow. 

I know people like the occasional bit of magic but I prefer players who play well for 90 mins over someone who does a fancy flick.

I know you’ll hit me with stats as you’re quite hot on them, which is fair enough, but my judgment is based more on what I see. 

Just my opinion. 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

Let’s not go into this again. He loses the ball way too often, gets dispossessed and is too slow.

How often is too often in your opinion? He only got dispossessed 35 times this season. 1.36 times per 90 minutes played.

Dwight McNeil, in comparison, was dispossessed 62 times, 1.82 times per 90.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, YouUnastanFren said:

How often is too often in your opinion? He only got dispossessed 35 times this season. 1.36 times per 90 minutes played.

Dwight McNeil, in comparison, was dispossessed 62 times, 1.82 times per 90.

Again, stats. I don’t even know what counts as a dispossession. Traore gets pushed off the ball a lot and is awful in one on one situations when he has to beat a man - too predictable. He’s also slow and weak as a kitten.

Let’s hope he has a brilliant season. 

7 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

Can't imagine we're interested in McNeil now. Only other forward position that needs strengthening is Centre Forward

10 million for Pukki to sit on the bench 😄

11 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

Again, stats. I don’t even know what counts as a dispossession. Traore gets pushed off the ball a lot and is awful in one on one situations when he has to beat a man - too predictable. He’s also slow and weak as a kitten.

Let’s hope he has a brilliant season. 

People always say this about their own wingers, and maybe it's because we're spoiled by Jack Grealish, but that's the life of a winger to be honest. You think Dwight McNeil or 90% of other wingers including the ones who play for the top teams are consistently beating their fullback and not losing the ball relatively often?

Watch Salah, Rashford, Son etc, the cream of the crop in this league and I guarantee you their fans levy the same criticisms at them too. And it's true! But it's fine because it's not the 4-4-2 90's anymore and it's their output that matters most given they play as wide forwards and not "wingers" and that's how Deano plays our wide players here. Traore's output both goals and creativity was very decent given his minutes and the fact that it was his first season. I expect him to improve on his tally next season.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

5 minutes ago, DaveAV1 said:

You really think that Ollie is indestructible don’t you?

No I'm quite happy to sign cover but it should be 10-15 million max (ideally some Mackenzie spotted gem) and they need to be happy with the bench like every forward Spurs have signed the last several seasons. I would like Wesley to be good to go but we don't know yet so if not cover will be required

Edited by Kiwivillan
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Kiwivillan said:

FWIW, I agree - but Traore is also a weak link IMO. Simply put, he lacks consistency (and I do appreciate that if he was consistently brilliant, he’d be at a bigger club). He’s very easily brushed off the ball and telegraphed - but then sometimes he gets it right and absolutely glides past people.

When he’s good, he’s very good but when he’s bad he’s horrid. 

1 minute ago, bobzy said:

FWIW, I agree - but Traore is also a weak link IMO. Simply put, he lacks consistency (and I do appreciate that if he was consistently brilliant, he’d be at a bigger club). He’s very easily brushed off the ball and telegraphed - but then sometimes he gets it right and absolutely glides past people.

Better than Adama who people were regretting losing a season ago because Wolves were doing well and he's absolute pish in reality. 2 goals and 4 assists in more minutes than Bertrand played 😄

19 minutes ago, bobzy said:

Last season, I was thinking Targett was the weak link in our team now look at where he is. I'm quite happy for our coaching team to continue to work on Traore and I'm quietly expecting him to improve this season just like pretty much every player has under Smith so far.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Delphinho123 said:

I know people like the occasional bit of magic but I prefer players who play well for 90 mins over someone who does a fancy flick.

I know you’ll hit me with stats as you’re quite hot on them, which is fair enough, but my judgment is based more on what I see. 

Just my opinion. 

you see, my theory is, if a proficient winner of the ball presides in the team....losing the ball by a winger, is not so highlighted or exposed.....but when the ball ends up back in our own area, it becomes irritating and the winger gets hung out to dry.

2 hours ago, Delphinho123 said:

Buendia has started ONE game over the past 3 seasons through the centre. Grealish came through the academy on the left and has predominantly played left-forward for the past 2 seasons. 

"Can play out wide" isn't really a fair summary. It *could* be that one of them plays through the centre for the most part this coming season, I don't know what the plan for Buendia is, but going by the information we have the opposite of what you said is true?

Edited by dont_do_it_doug.
  • Like 3

• 1 month later...

Everton have emerged as rivals to Aston Villa this summer for the highly-rated Burnley winger Dwight McNeil.

Everton are closing in on deals for Demarai Gray and Andros Townsend but Rafael Benitez remains keen to add a third winger to his squad and has identified McNeil as a leading target.

McNeil is on Villa’s radar as Dean Smith looks to further bolster his attack following the club record £33 million purchase of Emiliano Buendia from Norwich last month.

It is thought Everton feel Villa are the frontrunners at this stage but Benitez is a keen admirer of the 21-year-old.

Everton are believed to value McNeil at around the £25m mark but Burnley would want up to double that to countenance parting company with their prized asset and the Merseyside club need to sell if they are to buy big in order to comply with the Premier League’s profit and sustainability rules.

Villa’s deal for Buendia could end up costing £40m and it is doubtful Burnley would consider anything less for McNeil, all the more so given Sean Dyche’s shortage of wide players and the need to bolster a small, ageing squad. Burnley rejected a £30m bid for defender James Tarkowski last summer. 

Robbie Brady’s departure last month meant McNeil and Johann Berg Gudmundsson are the only senior recognised wingers in Dyche’s squad. Dyche is already thought to want to bring in two wide players this summer.

McNeil, who has made 107 Premier League appearances for Burnley and provided a vital supply line to forwards Chris Wood, Ashley Barnes and Jay Rodriguez, is contracted until June 2024 with the option of another 12 months. Burnley are under no immediate pressure to sell and ALK Capital, who bought the club in December, have vowed to back Dyche in the window.

The relevant part of the article 

Â