Dwight McNeil

tomav84

12 minutes ago, av1 said:

Exactly. £16/17m seemed expensive for a keeper that didn’t get a sniff at Arsenal for over a decade, a left back not rated by the mighty Southampton and a right winger that had spent 1 season at RB for Forest.

I have seen enough from Smith and the recruitment team to trust their judgment. 

I like the look of DM. He has tons of top flight experience for his age and will only get better In a more creative team. As @Zatmanhas pointed out above, comparing the stats of forward at Burnley to players at City at Leicester is stark raving bonkers. 

I don’t think it’s comparable though, McNeil isn’t going to come at low cost or good value as the examples you mentioned and he is highly valued, unlike they were. Burnley will demand a huge fee just to enter into discussions…

Edited by Jas10
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Jas10 said:

This is what concerns me, there just isn’t value in buying from within the league - especially British players (£30m on Andy Carroll anyone? 🤦‍♂️)

Too many overpriced, overrated players (many past their best) on exorbitant wages…

Plus, most clubs are reluctant to sell their assets and the asking prices are huge because everyone wants to improve & progress but finances determine everything…

So many stars of the PL were brought in from abroad and elevated the game and teams to further success.

I don’t disagree with any of that. The only caveat would be that there are also countless top class players that have come in from other leagues and flopped. To a certain extent the British premium is there because they come with a certain amount of assurance that they will continue to be successful in the PL. 

1 minute ago, Jas10 said:

I don’t think it’s comparable though, McNeil isn’t going to come at low cost or good value as the examples you mentioned. Burnley will demand a huge fee just to enter into discussions…

To be honest with the way fees have gone over the last few years I don’t know what is good value anymore. I guess this where you have to trust the judgement of the board. Whatever fee they hand out, they must believe it’s justified. 

I think anyone wanting Buendia or Toney are probably going to have to pay £40m. This kid has proven he is PL class. 

4 minutes ago, av1 said:

I don’t disagree with any of that. The only caveat would be that there are also countless top class players that have come in from other leagues and flopped. To a certain extent the British premium is there because they come with a certain amount of assurance that they will continue to be successful in the PL. 

I don’t disagree with that either but I’m sure the reason we’ve invested and placed so much focus on our scouting & transfers department is so we bring in the right players that will be deemed as good value and make an impact, improving the team almost immediately. That’s what we need more than anything.

I don’t see the point in investing in Lange and co. if we’re just going to be trying to sign PL players for massive fees and wages.

Edited by Jas10

Absolutely, and the signing of Sanson proves that point. It’s also difficult to argue against the fact that our best signings under Smith have come from within the English game. 

1 minute ago, av1 said:

Absolutely, and the signing of Sanson proves that point. It’s also difficult to argue against the fact that our best signings under Smith have come from within the English game. 

Again, well pointed out. But, again, they weren’t highly valued and highly established PL players. They weren’t huge fees and on huge wages. Grabbing Cash and Ollie from the Championship was excellent business though.

I am looking forward to see what Sanson has to offer next season…

Edited by Jas10

Just now, Jas10 said:

Again, well pointed out.

I am looking forward to see what Sanson has to offer next season…

Me too. I think he will prove to be a very good signing.

Back to DM, I think like quite a few on here I’d prefer Buendia if given the option, but I’d genuinely be happy with either. 

12 minutes ago, av1 said:

Me too. I think he will prove to be a very good signing.

Back to DM, I think like quite a few on here I’d prefer Buendia if given the option, but I’d genuinely be happy with either. 

Honestly, I don’t know what to believe. To many BSers around, especially online.

Some reports state that we want both.

My main concern with DM is the cost and lack of impact and improvement on our current side - I would be surprised if we would be willing to pay £40m+ for him and Burnley agreed to sell.

My main concern with DM is the cost and lack of impact and improvement on our current side

This is my biggest concern.  To be honest until we were linked with him I hadnt really noticed him much apart from knowing he played for Burnley, was very one footed, had a few little runs and was younger than I thought but I couldnt tell you anymore.  Obviously looked into to him a load more now and some of those YouTube clips look great especially a six minute one.  At 21 as well it's great age to grow with the team.  His goals totals are poor and his assists I would want more....he is in a Burnley side though....I just dont know for 40m, it just seems so much but you can imagine what he could be but you know he may never achieve that. 

My heart was set on some real talent this summer, just a couple that would come into the team as game changers and that was always going to be hard to do.  Maybe because of that I'm not super wowed with Dwight but I would honestly love to have him if that makes sense.  I was just hoping more certainty this summer with signings (If that is even possible) than signings that are potential.  I guess though at 21 he's been playing regularly for Burnley for a couple of seasons so that is about as certain as you can get.

I think I'm going to be second guessing all players we are interested in this summer as I feel it's a big summer and to be honest I think I will be unsure with most signings that we do.  Wished I had the mentality of just welcoming whoever comes in and let what they then do on the pitch do the talking but I know like most I have pre ideas of players based on various sources of information.  Anyway if DM comes in I hope he can have a great career here.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, nick76 said:

This is my biggest concern.  To be honest until we were linked with him I hadnt really noticed him much apart from knowing he played for Burnley, was very one footed, had a few little runs and was younger than I thought but I couldnt tell you anymore.  Obviously looked into to him a load more now and some of those YouTube clips look great especially a six minute one.  At 21 as well it's great age to grow with the team.  His goals totals are poor and his assists I would want more....he is in a Burnley side though....I just dont know for 40m, it just seems so much but you can imagine what he could be but you know he may never achieve that. 

My heart was set on some real talent this summer, just a couple that would come into the team as game changers and that was always going to be hard to do.  Maybe because of that I'm not super wowed with Dwight but I would honestly love to have him if that makes sense.  I was just hoping more certainty this summer with signings (If that is even possible) than signings that are potential.  I guess though at 21 he's been playing regularly for Burnley for a couple of seasons so that is about as certain as you can get.

I think I'm going to be second guessing all players we are interested in this summer as I feel it's a big summer and to be honest I think I will be unsure with most signings that we do.  Wished I had the mentality of just welcoming whoever comes in and let what they then do on the pitch do the talking but I know like most I have pre ideas of players based on various sources of information.  Anyway if DM comes in I hope he can have a great career here.

It’s all just speculation atm, obviously us fans are going to have excitement, ideas and desired targets but ultimately we’ll just have to see when the bids go in…

I would anticipate some surprises as the club have not been open with their dealings in the past… 

Just can’t trust the media and the same old stories and links are often regurgitated or swapped around… 

It’s all just speculation atm, obviously us fans are going to have excitement, ideas and desired targets but ultimately we’ll just have to see when the bids go in…

I would anticipate some surprises as the club have not been open with their dealings in the past… 

Just can’t trust the media and the same old stories and links are often regurgitated or swapped around… 

Yeah I never trust the media for incomings or outgoings but I do like seeing who the media think we are interested in.  As you say we are a closed shop generally of who we are interested which I like, saves the risk of somebody swooping in at the 11th hour but I understand it's frustrating/exciting for fans speculating.  Even when we sign people, some fans will be excited, some not excited.  I would love to push for top eight next season and a 60+point mark and to do that I really think we need a couple of real quality players coming into the first XI.  I think though as you say I anticipate some surprises coming because we do have Lange and the team and they have been brought in for a specific reason, otherwise what is the point of them.  Interesting summer ahead and I hope it's overall a very positive one for us.

2 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Yeah I never trust the media for incomings or outgoings but I do like seeing who the media think we are interested in.  As you say we are a closed shop generally of who we are interested which I like, saves the risk of somebody swooping in at the 11th hour but I understand it's frustrating/exciting for fans speculating.  Even when we sign people, some fans will be excited, some not excited.  I would love to push for top eight next season and a 60+point mark and to do that I really think we need a couple of real quality players coming into the first XI.  I think though as you say I anticipate some surprises coming because we do have Lange and the team and they have been brought in for a specific reason, otherwise what is the point of them.  Interesting summer ahead and I hope it's overall a very positive one for us.

Yeah, I agree. By the sounds of it, Purslow & the owners (and, of course, Dean too) want continued progression and a higher standing in the league each season… to achieve that, we absolutely have to strengthen and make ourselves more of a force & much less reliant on Jack. The league is so competitive and everyone will be looking to improve, luckily we have excellent owners and healthy finances which should give us some kind of edge or advantage…

Dwight McNeil is a way better player than he's being given credit for, he would only be a project in the sense that he's young so has plenty of time to improve, but already as he is now he would improve us and immediatey be one of our best attacking players, he's better than El Ghazi and Traore, both of whom I like and both of whom have things that they're better at than McNeil but Dwight has the better all round game and is more consistent with his performances, put it this way if you were give every side in the premier league the chance to sign either El Ghazi, Traore or McNeil for free I'd bet most if not all would choose McNeil, if we don't sign him he'll eventually end up somewhere like Leicester or Everton, he's one of the best young players in the division.

• Like 4

I think it’s a good sign the media think we could sign him. Regardless of whether it’s true or not or a good idea or not, the fact is Burnley have been a better team than us for 5-6 years so it’s a nice sign of the turnaround that the media is now speculating we could go after their star players. 

6 hours ago, Jas10 said:

I agree TRO & that’s what I’m saying. We don’t need anymore development players, we need players for the here and now and to make our first team stronger. Which is why I’m not overly keen on McNeil as a target and particularly the amount of funds it would take to prise him away from Burnley (I don’t want us to waste our budget). I hope it’s just a rumour and we get much better quality that can upgrade us in the way that Emi & Ollie did…

Agree about midfield too, we need strength and the ability to control and dominate the ball… we must stop getting outmuscled & overpowered and we have been inviting too much pressure onto our defence and our exceptional GK because we have been poor at retaining possession and lose & release the ball too quickly & easily (McGinn has been a major culprit, he needs fitness & conditioning work to get him back to his best, El Ghazi also loses it cheaply and needs to be permanently relegated to the bench).

It badly needs addressing in preseason, both in training with our current players and with anyone we sign and introduce into the team. Other than a LB, I’m only interested in us signing players that can almost immediately go straight into our line up and elevate us (again, like our summer signings). Not squad filler or options…

I think McGinn is played too deep at times, and can't win the ball there, when his life depends on it.......further up field with a sniff of goal, he comes alive and DOES win the ball and turn it over, but his life don't depend on it, there.....its the likelihood of a goal.

Players have different motivational elements in their Psyche......John for me is a further forward player and likes to attack.....his turn on, is goals and making them.

Some players have a natural tendency to destroy or halt the opposition......we need to ensure we have square pegs in square holes, etc,etc.....so the correct skill set is employed in the right places.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Jas10 said:

I don’t think many are losing sight of that, that is the strategy but they still need to be good enough to make an impact and upgrade us as last summer’s signings did.

McNeil doesn’t fit the profile/strategy if Burnley are not going to entertain offers less than £40m+.

Similarly to Pope, why would they sell their greatest assets on the cheap? They don’t need to sell and would want to progress with these players unless they demand a move away, and they will still get huge fees for them…

Tarkowski has been a target for several clubs but the asking price is massive…

They have a new owner (& better finances) who has come out and stated that he will be backing the manager in the transfer market, they want to improve/progress too so none of their players will be available for a value or bargain deal…

I hope we look elsewhere, there is better value, quality and higher potential elsewhere…

Comments by Dyche:

“It’s not a case that clubs just make a call," said Dyche when discussing the future of Pope, and Tarkowski and Dwight McNeil. 

"There was a time during my time at Burnley that eventually players had to be sold to balance out the situation and safeguard the future.

“The future is safeguarded, the immediate future particularly, by the finances in the club. 

“Eventually every player has their price and you’ve seen some astronomical fees paid for people. 

“The difference is we’re not having to sell. If we sell it will be a decision made for different reasons than would have been the case four or five years ago.

“In the past we sold players, but now we can consider trading. We’re not in a position that we have to.

"There would have to be alignment of all the parties involved to consider it to be the right deal and that right deal is according to Burnley Football Club and not anyone else.

That’s because of how the club is run and it’s in good shape financially, even with what’s going on with the Covid situation. 

“We’re just in a stronger position to resist temptation of sales, but equally we’re still a club that eventually sells players.”

Burnley are under new owners after ALK Capital LLC completed their takeover of the club on New Year's Eve and chairman Alan Pace has said there is money available to spend with his aim to strengthen the squad rather than weaken it.

How confident are you that you can retain McNeil, Pope and Tarkowski?

"As confident as ever. We have changed as a club and are financially in very good shape. We can make sure we can safeguard as many situations as possible but equally the club has sold players in the past and if a player is sold that will be part of the balance.

"The balance is investing in the right players and at some point players being sold.

"There is a balance to the finance but I know we are in good shape as a club but all the details are for the chief exec and the chairman to talk about."

Many clubs in the Prem are now in good shape financially due in the main to TV money......Bully for them, I say......Players are not so easy to get, when a club doesn't want to sell.

If we are to pay top dollar to prize a player away, we have to be more certain than ever its a sound investment.....else look elasewhere......gambling with £40m deals is a very precarious business and we need to be as close to certain as one can be, to do it.

I still think we are in the "potential Saloon" and will be for the foreseeable future.

I would like to think if a stonking deal is to be made, we are more certain than ever, that it is a player, who WILL make a major impact on us.

Edited by TRO

10 hours ago, Zatman said:

He started off brightly but at the end he was shocking, the last 2 seasons. The game we had him and Gardner together in the Championship was a Villa lowpoint, think they had 14 touches between them or something ridiculous

Maybe his confidence was smashed by then, plus the amount of inept managers he played under didnt help. At least at Burnley he knows his role and what he has to do weekly

No, that’s right, something about the coaching and tactics I think. 

2 hours ago, theboyangel said:

McNeil won’t be cheap as he only signed a new 4yr deal last October.

wonder if there’s a release clause in it, that we’re aware of and ‘happy’ with? 

That just shows what a stupid link it is but to be expected from idiotic transfer rumour inventors. Honestly they might as well create a bot to do this and save money

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

8 hours ago, nick76 said:

Sounds like you are going through some real internal turmoil on this one Nick!! 😉

I don't think we are in certain territory unless you are paying £60m+, particularly for attacking players. Toney and Buendia at the rumoured £40m, building on Watkins and Benzema at £30m+ from last season highlight this.

I feel much the same about McNeil from what I have seen, but, as you rightly say, he is (1) very young; (2) has lots of good PL experience; and (3) has reasonable stats considering .....

I prefer to buy British but, from what I have seen (and it is admittedly limited), I would rather spend £14m on Rashica (alternating LW/ACM with Jack) and £12m on Olise to cover both positions and have the change to add on to other inbound transfer fees.

Again, this is only the case if the owners' budgets or FFP restricts us in pursuing our other priorities.

Â