Dwight McNeil

tomav84

22 hours ago, nick76 said:

This is my biggest concern.  To be honest until we were linked with him I hadnt really noticed him much apart from knowing he played for Burnley, was very one footed, had a few little runs and was younger than I thought but I couldnt tell you anymore.  Obviously looked into to him a load more now and some of those YouTube clips look great especially a six minute one.  At 21 as well it's great age to grow with the team.  His goals totals are poor and his assists I would want more....he is in a Burnley side though....I just dont know for 40m, it just seems so much but you can imagine what he could be but you know he may never achieve that. 

My heart was set on some real talent this summer, just a couple that would come into the team as game changers and that was always going to be hard to do.  Maybe because of that I'm not super wowed with Dwight but I would honestly love to have him if that makes sense.  I was just hoping more certainty this summer with signings (If that is even possible) than signings that are potential.  I guess though at 21 he's been playing regularly for Burnley for a couple of seasons so that is about as certain as you can get.

I think I'm going to be second guessing all players we are interested in this summer as I feel it's a big summer and to be honest I think I will be unsure with most signings that we do.  Wished I had the mentality of just welcoming whoever comes in and let what they then do on the pitch do the talking but I know like most I have pre ideas of players based on various sources of information.  Anyway if DM comes in I hope he can have a great career here.

Very well put, great read

• Like 2

I'm actually surprised that people are doubting whether McNeil is better than El Ghazi and Traore or not, I'm not even sure if it's close, like I say if you offered every premier league club the chance to sign anyone of McNeil, El Ghazi, or Traore, I'm pretty that every club would take McNeil, that's not to say El Ghazi and Traore are bad players, just that McNeil is better than them and if we were to sign him he'd comfortably be first choice.

• Like 2

I doubt we will be signing him anyway, I think the athletic article was just saying that he's an option if we don't sign Buendia I'm sure there are other options too. I get the impression we will only sign one winger and would prefer one that can play both out wide and as a No.10.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, nick76 said:

This is my biggest concern.  To be honest until we were linked with him I hadnt really noticed him much apart from knowing he played for Burnley, was very one footed, had a few little runs and was younger than I thought but I couldnt tell you anymore.  Obviously looked into to him a load more now and some of those YouTube clips look great especially a six minute one.  At 21 as well it's great age to grow with the team.  His goals totals are poor and his assists I would want more....he is in a Burnley side though....I just dont know for 40m, it just seems so much but you can imagine what he could be but you know he may never achieve that. 

My heart was set on some real talent this summer, just a couple that would come into the team as game changers and that was always going to be hard to do.  Maybe because of that I'm not super wowed with Dwight but I would honestly love to have him if that makes sense.  I was just hoping more certainty this summer with signings (If that is even possible) than signings that are potential.  I guess though at 21 he's been playing regularly for Burnley for a couple of seasons so that is about as certain as you can get.

I think I'm going to be second guessing all players we are interested in this summer as I feel it's a big summer and to be honest I think I will be unsure with most signings that we do.  Wished I had the mentality of just welcoming whoever comes in and let what they then do on the pitch do the talking but I know like most I have pre ideas of players based on various sources of information.  Anyway if DM comes in I hope he can have a great career here.

It's important not to get ahead of ourselves and expect too much too soon IMO. We finished 11th this year, so we don't have European football to offer yet and as such, the pool that we can realistically buy from isn't as large as some might think or like at this stage. 

For me, I'm happy to trust the process and the people who haven't steered us wrong yet - if they think that McNeil is going to be that guy, I can't really see a reason to doubt them tbh. There's a whole team of professionals who're looking at things from lots of different angles and they've been spot on so far.

Whatever happens, I can't see this summer as being anything other than another one of good, solid progression - I'm optimistic.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, useless said:

I'm actually surprised that people are doubting whether McNeil is better than El Ghazi and Traore or not, I'm not even sure if it's close, like I say if you offered every premier league club the chance to sign anyone of McNeil, El Ghazi, or Traore, I'm pretty that every club would take McNeil, that's not to say El Ghazi and Traore are bad players, just that McNeil is better than them and if we were to sign him he'd comfortably be first choice.

Right, Man United were linked with dropping £50m on him a few months back. It’s not crazy to think someone would pay big money for him and as you say if you offered every club one of the three of them for free they would take McNeil. Of course that’s not to say that’s always right because a year ago if you’d offered every club Ezri Konsa or Ben Mee I would say they would all take Mee and I wouldn’t swap them now. 

Can't remember a time i've seen him when i've thought he was particularly that good, but he definitely has potential and could fulfil that with us.

The problem is the transfer fee, if it's 20 mil or less then why the hell not, but if he's 40 mil I would want the finished article or close.

then again 40 mil can get you talented players like... Alex Iwobi...

Edited by VillanousOne

7 hours ago, useless said:

I think it maybe because most know very little about him and it hasn’t been an obvious name when people have talked about potential signings.

Then you try to remember him and as I mentioned before I only have a few memories of him and nothing that shouted wow to me.

Then look at stats with a 2-3 goals and 5-6 assists per season for three seasons, which is not exactly wow is it.

21 yrs old with three seasons experience is great though.

# Overall though, initial thoughts don’t scream buy this guy though does it

Compare to El Ghazi who has 11 goals this season, no assists whereas last season 5 goals, 7 assists.  Traore this season 8 goals, 6 assists

# comparisons in stats compared to our current wingers isn’t favourable either

It wasn’t until I watched him again the last few days that I sat up and took notice and have been impressed by him.  I can see why others compared to what we have though because he hasn’t jumped out before we were linked to him and his stats aren’t great though and they’d want a huge fee for him.  When you see he’s 21 years old and the videos of his play and how hard he works anyway, you can’t fail to be more impressed.

42 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

well, one is a left winger, the other a right winger.........?

Not really. McNeil is an orthodox sideline hugging left winger and Traore is attacking right forward who's played a lot of games as centre forward

1 hour ago, VillanousOne said:

Can't remember a time i've seen him when i've thought he was particularly that good, but he definitely has potential and could fulfil that with us.

The problem is the transfer fee, if it's 20 mil or less then why the hell not, but if he's 40 mil I would want the finished article or close.

then again 40 mil can get you talented players like... Alex Iwobi...

That’s my fear, the Alex Iwobi effect of looking good on video clips but poor stats.  Is McNeil just needing his talent at a bigger club to get those stats up significantly or is that just his output...I don’t know and we’ll never know unless he moves to a club like us.  It’s a risk but aren’t all transfers...I like his work rate though, which if I’m unsure I always fall back on.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, KangarooVillan said:

Very well put, great read

really to me it just read as damning with faint praise.  if I was DM and read that I'd think **** that I'll go somewhere they actually want me.  Hopefilly he'll read some of the posts where people who recognise his clear talent really want him here.

49 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

well, one is a left winger, the other a right winger.........?

Just responding to the point/opinion made by someone that most would prefer McNeil over El Ghazi & Traore.

Personal opinion.

8 hours ago, dudevillaisnice said:

Hmm, Is he? I’m genuinely asking as it could quite easily be the case of new signing being immediately better which isn’t always the case. 

of course he is.  el ghazi was perhaps the most improved player in the second half of the season and traore shows flashes of brilliance but mcneil has shown consistent quality over 2 seasons in the prem and he's only 21.

9 minutes ago, tezzaleed said:

really to me it just read as damning with faint praise.  if I was DM and read that I'd think **** that I'll go somewhere they actually want me.  Hopefilly he'll read some of the posts where people who recognise his clear talent really want him here.

I guess you didn’t like my post then...it was an honest opinion.  I’m guessing teams around would have fans saying the same thing from Arsenal to Everton and co about him if they were linked.

You can’t tell me he was an obvious name of a player to buy this summer?  He looks great, I worry about his poor stats but at 21 look a great age with 3 years experience in the PL.  

I think I’m fairly knowledgeable about English football, watch all the games like most but if you’d ask me to write a list of achievable player targets for us this summer for about 50 names, I’m not sure McNeil would’ve been in there at 40m and I would reckon most here would be saying the same thing.  

Now doing more review on him, he’s a talent but as with any player I have doubts and his stats jump out a mile to me.  If DM gave a crap about my thoughts or others on here that question that and doesn’t join because of that then who cares.  

I’d want a player that wants to be here and want to prove me wrong.  If he was offended by some honest constructive criticism then I’m not sure I want him here because that rings bells.  Once he plays for us he needs thick skin as this forum will be saying a lot worse if he doesn’t perform or has some bad form as we’ve seen this season for others (and before).

13 minutes ago, Kiwivillan said:

Traore is attacking right forward who's played a lot of games as centre forward

And that's his best and natural position.

This centre forward talk is all in the past, he does not play CF!

He played that position only a handful of times in mere cameos in the past.

I would sooner we have a natural striker in a strikers position opposed to someone that's put there to 'fill a void'.

We're not in the Doug Ellis days anymore where we needed to sign players who could play 3 positions.

Having players in each position that play in their natural position is the only way were going to progress again as a football club.

15 minutes ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

He played that position only a handful of times in mere cameos in the past.

71 games at CF 38 goals 11 assists

Vitesse 18 goals

Chelsea 4 goals

Ajax 4 goals

Lyon 12 goals

This is all comps including domestic cups and European cups

5058 minutes at CF the most in one season being Vitesse 14/15 season. 1375 mins 17 appearances 12 goals 4 assists

Edited by Kiwivillan
  • Like 1

Â