Dwight McNeil

tomav84

6 hours ago, tezzaleed said:

I've seen a few say he's a signing with potential.  I think he will improve as he's only 21 but I think he will improve our starting eleven considerably as he is.  Ignoring basic stats such as goals scored and assist,  as I think they tell so little of the story by themselves they are irrelevant at best misleading at worst, he seems to be the kind of player that will slot right in to a team trying to lay good football. 

out of interest does anyone have any decent reliable statistical analysis or is there a site people are referring to?

I was just talking about the core stats you referred to. In that respect, they're similar in the PL, but Buendia has done significantly more at championship level. 

Haven't seen DMs lesser "key contribution" type stats, but I do know Buendia's were almost Jack level when Norwich were in the prem, and he played for the team that ultimately finished bottom.  Based on key stats and "viewing pleasure/how good I think they are watching them" Buendia is a much better buy for now.

I think it's a key position for us to get right to push on this season, that I would prefer Buendia. 

If someone can offer a view on DMs carries, chances created, distance ball carried etc I'd welcome it, but would be (pleasantly) surprised if it compared favorably with Buendia from 2019/20 season. 

Edited by MrBlack

4 hours ago, tezzaleed said:

I've seen a few say he's a signing with potential.  I think he will improve as he's only 21 but I think he will improve our starting eleven considerably as he is.  Ignoring basic stats such as goals scored and assist,  as I think they tell so little of the story by themselves they are irrelevant at best misleading at worst, he seems to be the kind of player that will slot right in to a team trying to lay good football. 

out of interest does anyone have any decent reliable statistical analysis or is there a site people are referring to?

Dude, I get not putting too much into stats but considering goals and assists as irrelevent at best and misleading at worst is ridiculous.

When we played them, I honestly thought ‘he’s a good player’.

Great engine, excellent at carrying the ball, great skill.

His stand out asset for a winger though is his willingness to get stuck in.  I’m shocked he’s only 21, I’d have thought he was about 26 from looking at him.

He’s a left winger, and I think that position is currently AEGs with JG at CAM.  Therefore a direct comparison brings up the stats below.

Looking at those, it *suggests* that he is much more defensive.  I suspect that is hugely down to the way Burnley set up.  His attacking stats are extremely poor, with xA and xG frankly at the very bottom of all wingers in the premier league, but defensively he’s at the other end of the spectrum.  The YouTube highlights suggest a different skill set all together!

The real question is why his attacking stats are so poor

a) because he’s just not very good at providing attacking opportunities

b) because Dyche tells him to defend first and foremost.

I looked at Johanson (sp?) stats also - the burnley RW, and he has a similar focus on defensive stats, so it must be a tactical thing.

I am convinced that in a team that sets up differently, his stats would be much improved.

He has a lot of successful carries, but nearly all in his own half, and with poor ‘progression’ - but again I suspect because of tactical set up.

I’d be all for this signing, but not at the suggested price of 30-50% of our summer budget.  

7F7F2B40-C437-4FCC-A619-7179222ABF52.thumb.jpeg.7c898f1e5135efb8672530fd12da361a.jpeg38CE6102-20F9-4872-A912-ECB47762C2A6.thumb.jpeg.9af593a24851573f9c0ad98d47609f04.jpeg

• Like 1

We have reached a stage where clips or "youtube" compilations are all well and good....but it doesn't tell us the picture, we want to see.

Consistency is now the holy grail.....We need players in all positions who have it in them to perform at a regular level.....so the odd clip, here and there, is not that much use to us now.....We have to trust the scouts and analysts.

23 hours ago, Laughable Chimp said:

Dude, I get not putting too much into stats but considering goals and assists as irrelevent at best and misleading at worst is ridiculous.

because assists and goals by themselves are affected by so many other variables and ignore so much of the game especially for a midfielder

4 hours ago, tezzaleed said:

because assists and goals by themselves are affected by so many other variables and ignore so much of the game especially for a midfielder

Not when we as a team lack end product to the point where we are bottom 5 for shot conversion rate. 

27 minutes ago, cheltenham_villa said:

Can't see this now. I assume he was looked at alongside Buendia and Pereira but we're only going to sign one of the 3.

I think we’d be looking at more than one attacking addition. We’ll see another winger come in I think. 

6 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

I think we’d be looking at more than one attacking addition. We’ll see another winger come in I think. 

I'd be quite surprised purely because I don't think it's a priority compared to other areas and Im not expecting many incomings.

Jack and Ollie can both play wide. Traore and Anwar have had good first years and we seem to have competition coming through the youth team. 

Â