Euro 2020 : Group D (England, Scotland, Croatia, Czechia)

BOF

13 minutes ago, will87 said:

England always, always disappoint.

Yep, any time we go into a tournament with any kind of expectation we flop. I’m not defending Southgate, but we could have the best manager in the world and it would be the same. We see it time and time again. 

1 minute ago, Talldarkandransome said:

It's the stupid 3rd place thing, I don't see the point of it

To have 16 teams for a knockout phase, it won’t work with 12.

Edited by Genie

2 minutes ago, hippo said:

As an aside - it's a feckin stupid set up - all these games and only 8 teams go out.!!!

I know, they dont want a big team not in the knockout stages so like everything in football it's catering to the big teams whether club football or here international teams.  With the potential of a couple of big teams in a group, they need to make allowance that in three games that a big team might only win one game so they make sure they go through!

1 minute ago, Talldarkandransome said:

Is it possible we don't qualify?

Lose to Czech and Croatia or Scotland win by a few goals

Almost none, as we’d be a best placed 3rd

Edited by Genie
  • Like 3

Foden is talented, but no way should he start ahead of Jack. Foden has De-Bruyne, Silva, Mahrez, Sterling, Torres, and Gundogan around him. So of course he can play well with that supply, and the space they create. He has the weakest number of all of them. 

So sorry but Foden while certainly a good player and a huge talent he hasn't really done enough to demand starting in the England team.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, jim said:

Yep, any time we go into a tournament with any kind of expectation we flop. I’m not defending Southgate, but we could have the best manager in the world and it would be the same. We see it time and time again. 

I don’t agree with that, any decent manager would have had us set up far more attack minded and pressing with clear directions to the team. It’s on Southgate because he had no plan to begin with to pass on to the players let alone a back up plan. He’s clueless. Scotland are the 3rd worse ranked team in the tournament. It’s unacceptable. Yes Scotland played with more heart but we didn’t even turn up to begin with. 

5 minutes ago, Genie said:

To have 16 teams for a knockout phase, it won’t work with 12.

Yep, but they shouldn't have increased it from 16 teams. Now you've got 24, you've got weaker teams and a group stage where you could potentially qualify without winning a game. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Philosopher said:

DCL doesn't have Rashford pace, but he is certainly quicker than most centres backs and is good at playing off the shoulder of the last defender.

Like I said.  Kane in front of Sterling, Jack, and Foden, with Mount running from deep and Rice holding would be my midfield and attack.

Sancho for all the hype always looks poor in an England shirt. If kane has to play you need Sterling or Rashford left. You need that ball in behind. 

In international football you can drill player day in day out. So you need a player in the middle of the park that can dominate proceedings. Mount is quality, but that's not his game. Jack has to be England's no 10.

No much issue with most of what you have said but you dont play players that have had poor form for ages like Sterling.  He's not doing what you are saying, he's being poor on the ball and ineffective in games.  He scored the goal the other day which clouds all that because it won the game and he did what I said he isnt doing so I look stupid but I have to think anybody watching him can see he's in such poor form at the moment and almost all the time isnt doing what he's in the team to do and hence why Pep dropped him and why Southgate should.

Sancho has been poor in an England shirt. 

As I said Jack, Foden and Mount have to be in the team and the rest is up to whoever, if it has to be Sterling then fine but I wouldnt be picking him. 

Â