Emiliano Buendía

Delphinho123

Gerrard will point at this performance in a vain attempt to prove himself right for not picking him.

His lack of coaching ski!is has resulted in poor performances from all our players, not just Buendia.

Every player has either stalled or regressed under the muppet.

• Like 3

55 minutes ago, WHY said:

The Buendia apologist will be out in force again. He’s had the odd good game but for the most part he’s been a disaster of a signing. Before people start quoting me remember this guy is the most expensive player to ever play for our great club!

technically Coutinho is the most expensive player to pay for our club 😛 

• Haha 1

Gerrard barely plays him and then uses him in three positions tonight.

Buendia doesn't have a world beating game... shock.

Still, almost everything decent came from him, albeit in fairly short supply. Who really out performed him in tonight's 'performance'?

Play him, in the right position, consistently, in a team that knows what it's doing and he is the least of our problems.

• Like 4

A few times when he had the ball he looked desperate for someone to make the run he could see. 

Instead we managed to play narrow and not make runs through the middle.

Our set pieces were also terrible (not sure what Nanny McPhee does all week tbh).

Our only goal threat is a piece of magic from distance. 

Play him in a team with runners or width and he'd create.

22 minutes ago, Vancvillan said:

A few times when he had the ball he looked desperate for someone to make the run he could see. 

Instead we managed to play narrow and not make runs through the middle.

Our set pieces were also terrible (not sure what Nanny McPhee does all week tbh).

Our only goal threat is a piece of magic from distance. 

Play him in a team with runners or width and he'd create.

That's what happens when you play two creators behind Ollie. No intelligence to make incisive runs. If you're playing Buendia and Coutinho surely you play Ings or Archer? Then again Steven makes a mess of the three in midfield as well so God knows. Nothing this guy sets up makes any sense.

• Like 2

Some people digging out the guy who was clearly the best of the front 6 tonight... Weird.

Anyway Gerrard will probably give him next week against a top 4 team, Villa will get battered, and he'll say "I gave him 2 starts and he hasn't produced moments of magic, whereas Phil has had a really good week in training." ... We all know the story.

• Like 1

Repeating myself again for the umpteenth time but our work rate/positioning on and off the ball is diabolical. No shape whatsoever its no wonder Emi and Coutinho are struggling. The transition play is so slow and laboured we are just grinding to a halt in the final third. We are currently broke! Whatever SG is saying or trying to do is simply not getting through to the players. More worryingly is the players don't seem to be inspiring or spurring each other on. They all look stressed and depressed! It's horrible to watch.

• Like 2

Good player, but I just don’t like him. Something about the way he behaves annoys me. Not brilliant enough to be doing all the prima donna shit.

I really rate him as a footballer, and no qualms at all with his work rate and defensive contribution, but he just seems like a moaning word removed.

1 hour ago, birdman said:

Repeating myself again for the umpteenth time but our work rate/positioning on and off the ball is diabolical. No shape whatsoever its no wonder Emi and Coutinho are struggling. The transition play is so slow and laboured we are just grinding to a halt in the final third.

Agreed that the off-the-ball running has been awful. And that's something that's coachable.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, KentVillan said:

Good player, but I just don’t like him. Something about the way he behaves annoys me. Not brilliant enough to be doing all the prima donna shit.

I really rate him as a footballer, and no qualms at all with his work rate and defensive contribution, but he just seems like a moaning word removed.

When the team is doing well, it'll be a quality we love about him. He's tenacious. It doesn't quite jive when we're as shit as we are.

For some reason, we tend to concede a lot more goals when Buendia is on the pitch compared to when he isn't.

This season we've conceded at a rate of 1.86 goals per 90 minutes when he is on the pitch. This is a higher rate than any of our players

You could very much argue that's just a result of a small sample size this season so far but I actually noticed something similar happening last season too. We conceded at a rate of 1.52 goals per 90 last season with him on the pitch. 

Coutinho's corresponding numbers meanwhile are much lower at 1.15 goals conceded per 90 last season and 0.71 goals conceded per 90 this season.

Another argument you could make is that perhaps this stat is being skewed because Buendia is being brought on late in order to chase games and hence we tend to be more open and concede more during this time as well. However, one would also expect us to be scoring more during this period if this were true. But we haven't actually.

Our team's scoring numbers with Buendia and Coutinho on the pitch were identical last season. And our scoring numbers with Buendia this season has actually been lower compared to with Coutinho.

I don't think Gerrard is blind to this. In fact, I this is the main reason he hasn't been playing more, something with how he plays threatens the defensive stability of our system.

Edit: I can extend the analysis to take into account expected goals instead of actual goals. We might be interested in such an analysis because it might help reduce the effect of luck.

21-22 season

Coutinho-1.25xG scored per 90 when he's on the pitch. 1.14xG conceded per 90 when he's on the pitch

Buendia-1.13xG scored per 90 when he's on the pitch. 1.32 xG conceded per 90 when he's on the pitch.

This suggests our team both created more and conceded less chances with Coutinho compared to Buendia. 

22-23 season

I stress again that the sample sizes are very small so far so the absolute values tend to be more extreme if not outright unreliable. What's more important here is to see if the trends from last season have continued to this season.

Coutinho-0.79xG scored per 90 when he's on the pitch. 0.63xG conceded per 90 when he's on the pitch

Buendia-0.91xG scored per 90 when he's on the pitch. 1.56xG conceded per 90 when he's on the pitch.

This suggests that this season so far we have been creating more with Buendia compared to Coutinho. But we've also been conceding chances far more with Buendia compared to Coutinho.

So the trend as toward chance creation has actually reversed so far, but our defensive fragility with Buendia over Coutinho has continued from last season which provides more evidence that this might be something systematic with him rather than other factors.

Edited by Laughable Chimp

Interesting post LC.

My view on Emi is that i like the fact that he always wants the ball, and tries things, but he does give the ball away a lot. Everybody seems to have a downer on PC at the moment, but he is a notch above Emi, and doesn't give the ball away as much. 

When we have a good team, i think he is a useful squad player

Iit would help if he started maybe 4-5 games in a row. He hasn't done so since last December ffs and has started almost all away fixtures since then if he even gets a start.

The last home start he got was the Arsenal shellacking.

I don't think he was particularly great against Forest but, then again, who was besides Young?

Edited by DJBOB

Â