2021/22 expectations

Jareth

2 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

So we'd need to finish above at least one of Spurs, Arsenal or Leicester as an absolute minimum or we should sack him?

The owners may expect that for their return, I don't know. You think Smith survives if we stay the same as this season, really?

Me I'd be happy to be top eight, personally I've never said Smith should be sacked at all so don't imply that.

We were close this season so yes it's certainly possible for top eight with the correct investment.

6 minutes ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

We were close this season so yes it's certainly possible for top eight with the correct investment.

Absolutely, and I'm sure that will be the aim.

I think Smith could continue if we finished 9th, 10th or 11th though - depending in how we get there.

18 minutes ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

The owners may expect that for their return, I don't know. You think Smith survives if we stay the same as this season, really?

Me I'd be happy to be top eight, personally I've never said Smith should be sacked at all so don't imply that.

I think Smith stays if we finish 11th again. Unless we do something crazy this summer. 

8th and a good cup run/win would be ok with me, but would it be ok with the likes of Jack, and our best players?

7 th would be a good season.

Europe would be great.

However, I reckon this sort of talk is futile, before we see how the window pans out.

I do remember Jack said 8 - 12 th would have been a decent season at the beginning of this one.

• Like 1

I think it was far  easier under Lerner to go 16-11-6th than it is now.

Another year of consolidation to get top half would be good, along with a decent cup run. 

Possibly a Europa league spot but at present we would be outsiders for that.

Edited by The Fun Factory

25 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

Absolutely, and I'm sure that will be the aim.

I think Smith could continue if we finished 9th, 10th or 11th though - depending in how we get there.

I definitely don't want him out, I'd love to see Smith improve each season and be a part of a successful future.

You just wonder if the owners will give him that time. 

12 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

I think Smith stays if we finish 11th again. Unless we do something crazy this summer. 

I still think top eight will be the aim and we'll get it next season.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

i think we'll spend big again, not sure if that's what you mean by 'crazy'

i think theres zero chance of deano surviving if he doesn't improve on this season

• Like 2

Honestly I think we're just two players short of a really great side... a no-nonsense midfield beast, and a winger with real pace, that can beat his man, and also cross. 

Additionally, we need to add some more squad options too. At the very least another striker. Preferably one that has scored goals before. 

Provided this happens, I believe Smith will have us competing for top8 all season, next year. 

3 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

So we'd need to finish above at least one of Spurs, Arsenal or Leicester as an absolute minimum or we should sack him?

We can finish 8th next season by finishing above Leeds, Everton and West Ham unless I've got it wrong?

That's probably as realistic as we can probably manage in this point of time.

Spurs will still finish comfortably above us if they keep Kane regardless of who their manage will be. Beat us and they'll be 13 points clear despite us being fairly level back in February so shows difference there and this was our best shot in 25 years to finish above Arsenal and we've messed that up and again they'll finish above 10 points clear in the end.

Will surely sack Arteta at some point next season so danger is they'll get someone who knows what they're doing and they do have a core of good young players to build around.

Spend 100m anyway and something would have to go very wrong for us to be at a worse level than we've been for most of this season. Probably just by signing mediocre bottom half talents like Berge and ourselves when we really need to push it out and get in two top quality attackers so hopefully we learn from previous mistakes.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

i think theres zero chance of deano surviving if he doesn't improve on this season

I think it would be the right time to make a change aswell.

Dean's four season with us:

Promoted

Stayed up

Some memorable wins, huge defensive improvement and in top half for majority of season.

My target for next season would be 50 points + (as I don't think we'll get a point from last two) and finishing in top half, hopefully 9th or 8th. Oh and beating Man. United (DS would get a new 10 year deal if he manages that!)

He could then leave with his head held very high but would feel right time to roll the dice a bit more.

Worse thing we could do would be changing the manager the summer Grealish leaves us as that manager would be in a no win and near impossible situation.

Edited by VillaChris
  • Like 1

46 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

Why? Will other teams not spend? Does he get sacked the first time he doesn't finish higher than the previous year? 

I'd hope our owners are a bit more realistic than that.

Winning a trophy would be great the only way we could better that in the league is by winning the title. Ask Everton fans, they've had seasons of finishing top six and top four, but you don't actually get anything for it, and they're desperate to win a trophy, that's the whole point of football, I imagine Tottenham fans feel similar.

19 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

Why? Will other teams not spend? Does he get sacked the first time he doesn't finish higher than the previous year? 

I'd hope our owners are a bit more realistic than that.

honestly, i dont think they will...not to our extent anyway. we're one of the few clubs that has the capital behind it to spend big. as dean has said on more than one occasion, top half was the aim for the club...albeit by a narrow margin we haven't succeeded, i don't think they'll accept a 2nd failed target. so no, it's not a case of he's sacked the first time we don't improve. he'll be sacked because he's not meeting his objectives.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

honestly, i dont think they will...not to our extent anyway. we're one of the few clubs that has the capital behind it to spend big. as dean has said on more than one occasion, top half was the aim for the club...albeit by a narrow margin we haven't succeeded, i don't think they'll accept a 2nd failed target. so no, it's not a case of he's sacked the first time we don't improve. he'll be sacked because he's not meeting his objectives.

A second failed target? Do you really think the owners class this season as a failure? 

Just now, DCJonah said:

A second failed target? Do you really think the owners class this season as a failure? 

i think theres a difference between calling the season "a failure" and "failing to meet a target". it's been a huge improvement on last year, no question. and i think largely the owners will be content with this season, and therefore it should not go down as a 'failure'. but they'll know it could, and should, have been better

i reckon the 2021 form will have pissed them off. games like today have not been one offs...palace, newcastle, sheff utd, west brom, burnley, brighton...the latter two we don't even have the excuse of not having jack. 3 points from 18 is unacceptable from those games

2 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

i think theres a difference between calling the season "a failure" and "failing to meet a target". it's been a huge improvement on last year, no question. and i think largely the owners will be content with this season, and therefore it should not go down as a 'failure'. but they'll know it could, and should, have been better

i reckon the 2021 form will have pissed them off. games like today have not been one offs...palace, newcastle, sheff utd, west brom, burnley, brighton...the latter two we don't even have the excuse of not having jack. 3 points from 18 is unacceptable from those games

And I think there's a difference between a manager publicly saying his aim, and what the owners behind the scene will set for him. 

I highly doubt our owners are pissed off with the best season the clubs had in a decade. 

5 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

Progression in the league is very difficult - the top four are pretty much in place, then you have Leicester, Spurs and Arsenal to chase. I think we're in a group with Everton, Leeds and one or two others that will be battling for a top half place. 9th would be middle of that group and perfectly acceptable 10th is by no means a bad season.

I think we'll aim for a top ten finish and see if we can do a bit more in the cups.

Progression might be more visible in terms of our strength in depth.

It's getting more difficult every season that goes by as well.

24 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

And I think there's a difference between a manager publicly saying his aim, and what the owners behind the scene will set for him. 

I highly doubt our owners are pissed off with the best season the clubs had in a decade. 

you're twisting my words. i didn't say they'd be pissed of with the season overall. in fact i specifically said they'd be content with this season as a whole. i said they'd be pissed off at the 2021 form, and i stand by that. if next season starts like this one is finishing then i do fear for dean.

Â