2021/22 expectations

Jareth

20 minutes ago, grobs said:

Explain how it is untrue. Just because I have a different opinion to you doesn’t make me a troll. 

If it had happened in the final minute of the final game, then I'd tend to agree with you.

But it happened in the first half of a game with about ten matches of the season to go.

27 minutes ago, grobs said:

Explain how it is untrue. Just because I have a different opinion to you doesn’t make me a troll. 

Its untrue because there were 50 minutes + 9 games to go after that ghost goal. I could just as easily say that we would have come out inspired with a rollicking from the manager and would have gone on to win 5-1. If it was the last game and then we survived because of it then, yes, but not when there is over a quarter of the season to play. If Liverpool miss out on the CL by 1, 2 or 3 points would they be just as valid in arguing that it was the 7-2 at Villa that made them miss out? Clearly not.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, grobs said:

because seasons don't finish after 28.5 games...this is a fact, not an opinion

and you're a troll, because all villa fans know this. it's only rival fans that use it against us.

Edited by tomav84
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

because seasons don't finish after 28.5 games...this is a fact, not an opinion

and you're a troll, because all villa fans know this. it's only rival fans that use it against us.

If the goal goes in we would have gone down. Facts are facts 

1 minute ago, grobs said:

ffs...not even bothering...added to the ignore list

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, grobs said:

What? Last season we spent 130 odd million and survived because of a technical error in goal line tech. We got promoted through the playoffs but we should have comfortably been good enough for automatics. Underachieved like I said. 

Leeds? Wolves? West Brom? Maybe Bristol City? 

We need to be in the top 8 but looking to break the top 6. That would be another season of progress for me. 

The difference between 10th and 6th in the league is huge. Look at Everton, got in a huge named manager and have spent a fortune to finish 8th. 

The simple fact is that to finish 6th you need to outperform the likes of Spurs, Aresnal, Everton, West Ham. I'm sure Leeds will look to push on again next season. 

2 hours ago, It's Your Round said:

Most sensible fans realise that you don’t always get what you want because football doesn’t work like that. Europe is the hope, but to expect will lead to disappointment and calling for the managers head again. There’s a long list of teams that will be trying for Europe, we have no god given right to expect it should be us that finishes above them. No matter how much we want it. 

Didn't say I expected Europe. Said I expect us to be among the chasing pack for those places. 

44 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Leeds? Wolves? West Brom? Maybe Bristol City? 

Blues

On 16/01/2014 at 22:41, grobs said:

I always liked Dann at Blues. Him and Johnson were class in that one season as much as it pains me to say it. Would very much take him here. 

Edited by fightoffyour
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Didn't notice Conor do much last night apart from strutting around all handsome

Edit: This was supposed to be in the Loan Thread or the Conor Thread, but I've missed worse the Mbeumo last night.

Edited by fightoffyour

18 minutes ago, fightoffyour said:

Didn't notice Conor do much last night apart from strutting around all handsome

But by god, he can do that well.

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, Herman22 said:

We need to be in the top 8 but looking to break the top 6. That would be another season of progress for me. 

The difference between 10th and 6th in the league is huge. Look at Everton, got in a huge named manager and have spent a fortune to finish 8th. 

The simple fact is that to finish 6th you need to outperform the likes of Spurs, Aresnal, Everton, West Ham. I'm sure Leeds will look to push on again next season. 

Yes, we've basically done the easy bit, re-established ourselves in that chasing pack behind the scummy 6.   

Now comes the hard part where it's virtually impossible - only Leicester have managed to break that glass ceiling in many years and they haven't yet established themselves as a regular top 6 side.

Hate to put a damper on this, but I think we might struggle next season. Norwich are going to be tougher and more resilient with their recent experience to life in the PL. Watford?, well they are going to be like Burnley - difficult cloggers. The only weakest team next season could be the team coming up through the playoffs....

This season there were 3 poor teams that deserved to go down

We need to be much better at closing games down, defending leads, less naive, more game aware and "savvy" and being more like the cheating scum6 when looking for penalties

I hope to be proved wrong but thats thing with the Villa always expect the unexpected...we might finally win the FA cup 🙂

FA cup win or top 4?...........FA cup win every time for me

Regards to all

Del

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, delboy54 said:

Hate to put a damper on this, but I think we might struggle next season. Norwich are going to be tougher and more resilient with their recent experience to life in the PL. Watford?, well they are going to be like Burnley - difficult cloggers. The only weakest team next season could be the team coming up through the playoffs....

This season there were 3 poor teams that deserved to go down

We need to be much better at closing games down, defending leads, less naive, more game aware and "savvy" and being more like the cheating scum6 when looking for penalties

I hope to be proved wrong but thats thing with the Villa always expect the unexpected...we might finally win the FA cup 🙂

FA cup win or top 4?...........FA cup win every time for me

Regards to all

Del

People said the same last year, that the teams coming up were going to be strong. 

The promoted teams won't impact us massively. If they're good enough to take points of us then I'm sure they'll do the same to some of our top half rivals.

Edited by DCJonah
  • Like 1

It's all over to the board now.

With spurs and arsenal looking in a bit of disarray. Man U blowing hot and cold. I really think only Man city and Chelsea are going to be streets ahead next season.

Out of nowhere I really think a chance for us to be real force has presented itself.

Keep Jack , Martinez, Watkins - 2 or 3 robust additions who knows what could happen 

We've been here before and always blown at this point - I just hope the board don't choose now to put the brakes on the spending.

• Like 1

We have a solid spine, youngest team in the prem and are drifting upwards not levelling off. Just 2/3 more quality signings and the only thing stopping us crashing the top 6 next season will be freak injuries. Next season I predict we will have the squad we need for the forseeable, able to supplement it with talented youngsters whilst challenging at the top of the table, with a proper wage structure, increasing income and hopefully at least 3 England internationals off the back of a good tournament. 

• Like 1

On 18/05/2021 at 08:30, grobs said:

Because football doesn’t work like that. You can’t look at one incident in one game and say that’s the one reason. What about the Crystal Palace game, or the other VAR rubbish, or when we scored a last minute winner against Watford? I’d say that winner against Watford had more to do with us staying up than the dodgy Hawkeye decision.

On 18/05/2021 at 09:05, grobs said:

Not sure you know what a fact is.

Anyway, I think we aim for 60 points next season. I'd be very happy if we can just improve on this year's point tally.

Edited by blunther

Â