2021/22 expectations

Jareth

On 17/05/2021 at 18:35, villalad21 said:

We probably survived because of covid though.

No probably about it, we definitely did. Leeds _probably_ came up because of it (as that presenter said and got dog’s abuse from their fans). But ours was definite.

On 19/05/2021 at 06:56, delboy54 said:

Hate to put a damper on this, but I think we might struggle next season. Norwich are going to be tougher and more resilient with their recent experience to life in the PL. Watford?, well they are going to be like Burnley - difficult cloggers. The only weakest team next season could be the team coming up through the playoffs....

This season there were 3 poor teams that deserved to go down

...and then another 6 we were miles better than as well.

But I agree we can’t just assume we will continue to progress. This league only gets harder.

• Like 1

Depends on the level of investment but given luck with injuries, even if we don't add to the team I think we should be trying to break the top 10. With another summer window like the one we had this year, don't see why we shouldn't be pushing for Europe.

• Like 1

We have 3 genuine elite quality players in the squad and our back 4 is criminally underrated.  I don't want to get too carried away, but if we add another top quality striker to rotate with Ollie (like Tammy), a big money replacement for Barkley in the free role (leaving Jack free to drift wide left), recruit the proper replacements for Elmo & Taylor to continue to push Cash and Targett along, and we'll be flying.  

• Like 2

On 18/05/2021 at 09:53, Zatman said:

Leeds? Wolves? West Brom? Maybe Bristol City? 

He's obsessed with Grealish. Pops up every few months to put him down.

Must have been tough few years for him watching Jack prove Villa fans right that he's top top tier.

I doubt we will be in a relegation fight next season

I can see Palace, Watford, Newcastle, Burnley and West Ham battle it out. Swansea if they are promoted, Brentford will do good if they go up.

With the key signings I expect us to fight for top 6. 

I am just buzzing, so way too positive now :D 

stat of the day...since the PL has been 20 teams (from the 95-96 season) never before has a team finished in the bottom half with 55 or more points

• Like 4

Expectations are only for progression, and if we do that we'll do very well.  If we imagine for a minute that Grealish didn't miss one third of this season then we'd have finished a few places higher than 11th. Now add a bit of progression to the assumption that he won't miss one third of next season and you've got to be aiming for Europa League qualification.

• Like 1

As others - Top 8 is good progress, with more points than this season.
We might not get some of the results we had this season against the amazing and mighty Sky6, but need to improve results against the likes of Burnley to make up for it.

Also - want to see continued development of the wider playing squad. Whether it's youngsters out having successful loans, or making a impact in the first team - both are good next season. 

Well we've had grealish and ollie make the England squad this season added with mings.

We have 20 points more than last season.

We dropped 12 points we really shouldn't have in the last 2 months.

Progression is key, so I would be hoping for a further 8 to 10 points more than is season.

Where we finish will be pot luck at those dropped 12 points would have got us champions league football this season.

63 to 65 points is my hope for the up coming season

10 hours ago, KMitch said:

We have 3 genuine elite quality players in the squad and our back 4 is criminally underrated.  I don't want to get too carried away, but if we add another top quality striker to rotate with Ollie (like Tammy), a big money replacement for Barkley in the free role (leaving Jack free to drift wide left), recruit the proper replacements for Elmo & Taylor to continue to push Cash and Targett along, and we'll be flying.  

The Barkley replacement is the transfer that can really push us up the table. Whether it's a CAM or a left winger so Jack can move to the middle we have to get it right. 

When Barkley was on form we looked dead set for a champs league place. His injury caused our first downturn in form and quality of attacking play. 

• Like 1

I can't see anyone behind us in the league table jumping us. So think we should comfortably finish in the top half. Feel Leeds, West Ham and one of Arsenal or Spurs will slip a little and allow us to aim for a European position.

45 minutes ago, nepal_villan said:

I can't see anyone behind us in the league table jumping us. So think we should comfortably finish in the top half. Feel Leeds, West Ham and one of Arsenal or Spurs will slip a little and allow us to aim for a European position.

True. It's not just that they're behind us. They're a mile behind us (*Newcastle are hidden in 12th too below).  It would take a monumental effort for either Newcastle or Wolves to be able to overtake us next season and no-one else down there would be able to make that jump.  You'd think it's more likely a Leeds or an Everton will slip a bit.

db7e25bfc6ca60e0a44a250ab53cac75.png

My expectations are quite high for next season following all our great achievements this season, including these two little beauties:

games v big 6:   W 5,  D 1,  L 6   (wow. 😍 Massive difference from the last few PL seasons) .

games v London teams:    W 7,  D 1,  L 4   (wow. 😍 Massive difference from the last few PL seasons. The London teams hoodoo has been broken this season!)

Edited by robby b

If we look at about 5 / 6 of the games we lost we had enough chances in them to win. In our victories I'd say only really the Southampton game did we do a smash and grab type.

So that leaves about 7/8 games where I genuinely felt we 'deserved' to lose because we got outplayed. Most of these defeats were after the covid outbreak.

Only Leeds at home did we probably deserve to lose before covid outbreak. However even in that game I remember Jack having 2 very good chances to give us the lead. 

I believe that on peak performance terms we're close to this year's top 7 except Man City. Therefore based on my thorough analysis and expert eye I believe next season we need to win the league title. (Not really!!)

Seriously though I'd love a top 10 finish with the F.A Cup. I want that trophy sooo bad!

• Like 2

We competed well against the big boys and with some shrewd investment and continued development of one or two of the youth players in the first team I think we can push for a european spot

Ideally competitive, finishing 7-10, same as this year performance wise (on a whole I have liked our style and commitment) with a few shock results and no real beatings.  As many have seen before, mid table to top is the hardest to break.  A decent cup run and a few youngsters getting minutes. Europe would be great at the end of it, but more important is not to risk it all and drop bottom half again.

• Like 1

Â