2021/22 expectations

Jareth

3 minutes ago, grobs said:

Top 8

which would be another good improvement and isn't completely unrealistic, but also a good acheivement depending on a lot of factors clicking. I reckon the last 10 years must have been hell for you mate.

2 minutes ago, osmark86 said:

which would be another good improvement and isn't completely unrealistic, but also a good acheivement depending on a lot of factors clicking. I reckon the last 10 years must have been hell for you mate.

We’ve underachieved for so long I’m used to it 

• Like 1

I think 6th to 8th is more then possible if we have a summer similar in quality to last year. It should mean as a bare minimum that we have higher quality player in reserve when others are injured, suspended, needing a break or out of form.

One of Elmohamady, Hause or Ramsey is fine to slot in to a strong team. But you cant be starting all three of them in the Premier league, that cant be close to a third of the team.

I think that's the key difference between pushing for europe, and being lower mid table.

Need to be incredibly lucky with injuries next season to have any chance of top 6 regardless of who we sign.

West Ham not had many injuries and missing Rice last 6 weeks they've had a run of 3 defeats in 4.

We lose Jack and we instantly lose form. We also would've likely dropped off sooner if Ollie had been out for a few weeks in first half of the season so those are problem areas and CB can also be added.

Vital we sign some good players in those areas just to make the squad stronger.

1 hour ago, grobs said:

We’ve underachieved for so long I’m used to it 

We have, but this year I wouldn't classify as an underachievement for example. So I really don't see any point in getting on DS back when we're actually, overall, doing pretty well atm and progressing as a club year after year. Enjoy the ride and remember it could be a lot worse as we all know from experience.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, DCJonah said:

Strengthening our squad will give us more chance to challenge the top 8 but you can't just ignore the other 11/12 teams who aim to do the same. 

I think most sensible fans just want us to be in among the pack and challenging for Europe with the likes of Everton, West Ham, Leeds etc coupled with playing good football.

I don't think that is such an unreasonable target or expectation.

Am I the only one who keeps thinking we got relegated after our first season back and re promoted again?

I think its because of our renaissance and great escape last season when it looked like we were doomed.

I just keep getting confused about our tecent history for some reason

7 hours ago, villalad21 said:

I think most sensible fans just want us to be in among the pack and challenging for Europe with the likes of Everton, West Ham, Leeds etc coupled with playing good football.

Haha sensible fans. Good one.

8 hours ago, grobs said:

What? Last season we spent 130 odd million and survived because of a technical error in goal line tech. We got promoted through the playoffs but we should have comfortably been good enough for automatics. Underachieved like I said. 

Keith David Wtf GIF

8 hours ago, villalad21 said:

Most sensible fans realise that you don’t always get what you want because football doesn’t work like that. Europe is the hope, but to expect will lead to disappointment and calling for the managers head again. There’s a long list of teams that will be trying for Europe, we have no god given right to expect it should be us that finishes above them. No matter how much we want it. 

9 hours ago, grobs said:

What? Last season we spent 130 odd million and survived because of a technical error in goal line tech. We got promoted through the playoffs but we should have comfortably been good enough for automatics. Underachieved like I said. 

villa fans don't say this...stop trolling please. it's the crap you get from leeds fans on social media, no self respecting villa fan says this mainly because of how totally untrue it is.

4 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

villa fans don't say this...stop trolling please. it's the crap you get from leeds fans on social media, no self respecting villa fan says this mainly because of how totally untrue it is.

Explain how it is untrue. Just because I have a different opinion to you doesn’t make me a troll. 

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, grobs said:

Explain how it is untrue. Just because I have a different opinion to you doesn’t make me a troll. 

For the same reason as everyone else gets told... The season didn't finish when that goal was wrongly not given 

To say we stayed up because of it assumes that we automatically lose that game 1-0

• Like 1

On 17/05/2021 at 05:33, grobs said:

I’m sure we will spend another 100 mill plus. Based on that I think we should be top 8. But with dean still in charge I fully expect to finish 11-14th 

Not breaking into the top 8 in our 3rd season just can't see it happening not with the level of investment the current teams above us have made over the last few years (excluding leeeds) two more summer windows before that happens consistently. 

Â