Breakaway League

Jareth

Read a few things here and elsewhere about how this is just like when the Premier League broke away from the Football League. Absolutely not. The teams in the first season of the Premier League were the exact same as would have been if it was still called the First Divison. Teams that were in the league that season, and those that have been in the league each successive year, were there on merit. Arsenal and Spurs as two of the current top 12 teams in Europe? You're having a laugh. The only way this would be remotely comparable would be if the Premier League founders plucked Newcastle from the bottom of the Second Division while not letting Sheffield Wednesday in.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, StanBalaban said:

Exactly. You'll see games where the 'fans' will be supporting both teams on the pitch, from the comfort of their armchair in Singapore.

And we thought half and half scarves were bad.

That's the worst part...not that there are fans in Asia, but that this league is there to cater to them. Man Utd vs Barcelona at 12pm on a Wednesday so it's shown in prime time in Asia.

17 minutes ago, Nicho said:

The clubs involved probably want to be kicked out so they can fully build a real super league structure.

Unfortunately kicking them out is the death of the leagues so I expect this to go through. 

Cant see it myself. Too much uproar and opposition. Fans wont want it. The PL, FIFA & UEFA just need to stick to their guns in regards to expulsion and it wont happen.

Will be interesting to see how the owners of Barcelona, ae the fans feel about playing games mid day during the seista to cater to customers halfway across the world.

The answer I suspect will be. But money

I have a few suggestions about the songs for some of these clubs.

Greedy Greedy Man United, Greedy Greedy Man United (glory glory)

You'll always waaaaalk alone

Ooh to, Ooh to be, Ooh to be a, Goner! (gooner)

I can smile without you (Tottenham)

Chelsea and City I have no suggestion for as these clubs are as plastic as they come anyway so I'm not surprised.

Exclude them all from the league, let Villa/West Ham/Leicester and Leeds fight it out for the title. Remove all the international players from the next game international round. Use this as a chance to purge football of many of its worst primadonnas (Perez, Levy, Kroenke, Glazers etc).

Kick ‘em out with immediate effect. Completely unsurprising but still high treason against the sport and should be dealt with as such. 

• Like 1

Why would kicking those 6 out kill the premier league? There will still be a league, just there might have to be a wage restructuring and a bonus system for players put in place to offset the financial hit.

It won’t ever be the same without them, but seems they don’t give two sh*ts about that, but like others have said, it could make English football great again, we get to reset and have a more even playing field. 

Edited by Tommo_b
  • Like 2

I’m genuinely shocked by this. How a group of clubs, rolling in billions of pounds/Euros could hatch a plan to secure more money for themselves at EVERYBODY else’s loss. 
Every single person outside of their little club is seemingly against this.

The absolute cheek of it, staying in their respective leagues at the weekend, oh thanks. 
**** them off would be my advice. 

What a bunch of pricks.

Edited by Genie
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Genie said:

I’m genuinely shocked by this. How a group of clubs, rolling in billions of pounds/Euros could hatch a plan to secure more money for themselves at EVERYBODY else’s loss. 
Every single person outside of their little club is seemingly against this.

What a bunch of pricks.

It's so infuriatingly greedy in that they're not just content with already having the most money and resources and winning all the trophies, but they also need to make sure that nobody else does. Leicester upsetting the applecart for a season or 2? Unconscionable. Wolves and Villa and Leeds making major moves and having designs on breaking into the elite? Absolutely can't have that. Complete assholes.

• Like 1

I imagine the Everton owners are thinking why are we pumping £500m into building a new stadium if we cannot compete with the big boys? 

it’s just selfish and greedy by the self proclaimed Super Leaguers... I’d love all leagues and UEFA to formally disapprove the notion and expel all of the founder members from League football.

this just doesn’t affect the Premier League, what about the smaller nations clubs who battle hard to get into the Champs League - there’ll be none of that... 

Edited by theboyangel
  • Like 4

4 hours ago, Delphinho123 said:

Agree. 

I don’t think it’s quite sunk in how detrimental this will be to the domestic game and to Aston Villa. 

The owners might just think, ‘what’s the point?’, because honestly, there is no point. Is there? 

A super league full of teams that can never be broken in to. What becomes of Villa? Like you say, a second class citizen. Even if the unthinkable happens and it goes ahead alongside the PL, these clubs will be super rich and it will be even less of a level playing field than it is now. They’ll be super rich and every other club - poor in comparison. 

That is the major concern here. Owners and fans of clubs will think.. what’s the point? This could literally kill our domestic game and the people running it know that Asia and Africa are more lucrative so who gives a f*** right? 

And then, on top of all this, if it doesn’t go ahead, it will only be because UEFA have bowed to the pressure and given the big teams what they want in the form of a ringfenced CL or something along those lines. 

Perez just became the most powerful person in football and he’ll destroy our game. 

This is really, really bad. 

Do you think this is why they are timing the announcement now? Ahead of the summer transfer windows? Whether it goes ahead or not, whilst it is up in the air, will our owners or Everton’s owners or Leeds owners want to plough another £100mil into transfers when it is clear we can’t achieve our ultimate goals? Will players like Grealish, Calvert-Lewin, Raphinia start jumping ship to make sure they are part of it? 

It is crucial that UEFA and the PL play hardball and stand by their threats to boot them out the  PL and Champions League and do it ASAP (preferably before we have to play City on Wednesday).

2 hours ago, Spoony said:

Genuine question, why do you think this? I personally think it’ll make English football more competitive and enjoyable. I only see it as bad for us if it crippled us financially, which it might do. Otherwise we can let the likes of Grealish join the Super League if they want, take an overall step down in quality but enjoy a more competitive, more entertaining league. 

You think those 6 clubs can earn all that money, essentially a 300m head start every year and the PL will be competitive? At least when they had to qualify for the CL, they had to earn it. Look at Arsenal and Spurs, we very realistically could overtake them in the next 5 years. Now they can get relegated and still have the advantage of the ESL money. The PL is dead with this format if those 6 clubs remain. They HAVE to be booted out. The same goes for the Italian clubs etc. 

UEFA have to be strong here. No players from the ESL should be allowed to play at the Euros, all teams kicked out of the CL and UEFA cup. They should be expelled from their respective leagues and our FA should say that from next season, you can only represent your country if you play in a domestic league. 

This is going to kill football. It certainly will kill our club if it goes ahead. 

Edited by Delphinho123
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, Tommo_b said:

Why would kicking those 6 out kill the premier league? There will still be a league, just there might have to be a wage restructuring and a bonus system for players put in place to offset the financial hit.

It won’t ever be the same without them, but seems they don’t give two sh*ts about that, but like others have said, it could make English football great again, we get to reset and have a more even playing field. 

Pretty much all the money from abroad would go away, and odds are the foreign owners, like ours would lose interest without any money incentive in a devalued league.

The big red teams Man U and Liverpool (arsenal) are what sells the league to Asia and if you add Chelsea and Man C to it then that's the rest of the world covered as well. (No one cares about Spurs)

• Like 1

I’d like to think that the football league have a rule they are breaking by doing this, but they don’t even have rules around ending a season early due to unforeseen circumstances so I am not holding my breath.

1 minute ago, WallisFrizz said:

Do you think this is why they are timing the announcement now? Ahead of the summer transfer windows? Whether it goes ahead or not, whilst it is up in the air, will our owners or Everton’s owners or Leeds owners want to plough another £100mil into transfers when it is clear we can’t achieve our ultimate goals? Will players like Grealish, Calvert-Lewin, Raphinia start jumping ship to make sure they are part of it? 

It is crucial that UEFA and the PL play hardball and stand by their threats to boot them out the  PL and Champions League and do it ASAP (preferably before we have to play City on Wednesday).

Makes me wonder if players who don’t want to be a part of the “Super League”, will jump the other way, for example, is Harry Kane going to want to play for Tottenham, and let’s be honest, lose most games, and no longer have the change to become one of England’s best strikers in the record books when he is on the cusp of it.

Some Players who know they already earn more then enough will be feeling morally sick this morning and would rather not be associated with these 12 clubs, will be interested to see what players will stay and who will go. 

3 minutes ago, sne said:

Pretty much all the money from abroad would go away, and odds are the foreign owners, like ours would lose interest without any money incentive in a devalued league.

The big red teams Man U and Liverpool (arsenal) are what sells the league to Asia and if you add Chelsea and Man C to it then that's the rest of the world covered as well. (No one cares about Spurs)

On your last point, I really am enjoying the Spurs trolling online at the moment about them being involved 😂😂

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Tommo_b said:

Makes me wonder if players who don’t want to be a part of the “Super League”, will jump the other way, for example, is Harry Kane going to want to play for Tottenham, and let’s be honest, lose most games, and no longer have the change to become one of England’s best strikers in the record books when he is on the cusp of it.

Some Players who know they already earn more then enough will be feeling morally sick this morning and would rather not be associated with these 12 clubs, will be interested to see what players will stay and who will go. 

If it goes ahead Spurs’s transfer budget would shoot up and they’d hoover up more non-ESL talent fo their squad.

Â