Breakaway League

Jareth

2 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

I don't think it is. The league can't deal with the loss of income that throwing out the six English teams would cause, but those teams won't cope without the income that leaving the Premier league would cause them. It's a game of chicken in which we're cheerleaders.

They are being given £3.6 billion to help set up the info-structure , that probably means they could function without PL money ? 

Yup. they have attacked the premier league and uefa. Its now upto the Premier league and UEFA to respond and kick them out. If they dont then they are irrelevant going forward. There is no way to find a compromise here. The leaving six have left no such option. Its either unconditional surrender for the premier league and uefa or fight. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

I don't think it is. The league can't deal with the loss of income that throwing out the six English teams would cause, but those teams won't cope without the income that leaving the Premier league would cause them. It's a game of chicken in which we're cheerleaders.

I think throwing them out would be detrimental in the short term but in the long term would be beneficial. Their competition would be attractive initially but eventually people will get bored with the shiny new toy.

It is of course theory.

There is one question I have if anyone can answer it for me? In cricket if Pakistan and India want to play a bilateral series in England they'd have to get permission from the ICC and the host country's board the ECB. Does something similar exist in football..? For example for professional football to be played in England would the clubs need permission from the FA to host the games?

• Like 1

Just now, tonyh29 said:

They are being given £3.6 billion to help set up the info-structure , that probably means they could function without PL money ? 

£300m each to replace the income from the Champions League, the Premier League and domestic cups?

They want that money because the San Siro is falling apart, because the Bernabau is unsafe, because Old Trafford is in desperate need of renovation and because several of the clubs are in huge debts - their aim is what they have now plus the additional money - it won't be worth doing if that margin isn't massive.

3 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

I think it's a very difficult situation for UEFA and for the Premier league.

UEFA will be very aware that this isn't an addition to the footballing stable, it's a coup, these twelve clubs would essentially be replacing UEFA as the body running elite European football - UEFA's revenues would be hit, but more than that, they'd no longer be in charge of football in Europe. It would be the end of that.

For the Premier League, any club with ambition has to be in opposition to this - if Mr Purslow doesn't oppose it, he permanently relegates Villa to the status of second class citizen - it is a permanent glass ceiling over a whole lot of clubs - but at the same time, they'll know that their revenues are to a large extent reliant on those clubs and what they bring to the league - the brand would be massively damaged if they're thrown out. It's a harsh choice between being a potentially stable second tier team or the dirt poor champions of new England.

It's really vital that fans, the media and everyone else involved with the game keeps up the pressure on the twelve and keeps reiterating the support for the leagues and UEFA in taking strong action - this is going to be a PR war and losing it kills football for anyone outside of the twelve.

Agree. 

I don’t think it’s quite sunk in how detrimental this will be to the domestic game and to Aston Villa. 

The owners might just think, ‘what’s the point?’, because honestly, there is no point. Is there? 

A super league full of teams that can never be broken in to. What becomes of Villa? Like you say, a second class citizen. Even if the unthinkable happens and it goes ahead alongside the PL, these clubs will be super rich and it will be even less of a level playing field than it is now. They’ll be super rich and every other club - poor in comparison. 

That is the major concern here. Owners and fans of clubs will think.. what’s the point? This could literally kill our domestic game and the people running it know that Asia and Africa are more lucrative so who gives a f*** right? 

And then, on top of all this, if it doesn’t go ahead, it will only be because UEFA have bowed to the pressure and given the big teams what they want in the form of a ringfenced CL or something along those lines. 

Perez just became the most powerful person in football and he’ll destroy our game. 

This is really, really bad. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, OutByEaster? said:

£300m each to replace the income from the Champions League, the Premier League and domestic cups?

They want that money because the San Siro is falling apart, because the Bernabau is unsafe, because Old Trafford is in desperate need of renovation and because several of the clubs are in huge debts - their aim is what they have now plus the additional money - it won't be worth doing if that margin isn't massive.

Well For Arsenal and Spurs  CL revenue isn’t an issue at present !!

It isn’t clear on the page I read if it’s £3.6bn per club or a collective , there might be better sources that can clear that up though 

3 minutes ago, ciggiesnbeer said:

Yup. they have attacked the premier league and uefa. Its now upto the Premier league and UEFA to respond and kick them out. If they dont then they are irrelevant going forward. There is no way to find a compromise here. The leaving six have left no such option. Its either unconditional surrender for the premier league and uefa or fight. 

Totally agree mate. And it’s something I can’t get my head around. 

If they don’t fight it, the PL and UEFA is completely redundant. I mean, what are we fighting for in the PL? To win it? To what end? 

If they do fight it, the only way to do so is to punish the clubs and expel them/dock points which will take a lot of bravery. 

We can argue about the finer details to the league and the format and the money all we like, but the one consistent to this league is that it is absolutely devastating for Aston Villa and us fans. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, tonyh29 said:

It isn’t clear on the page I read if it’s £3.6bn per club or a collective , there might be better sources that can clear that up though 

It's a collective, it's from the $6bn+ that JP Morgan are putting up.

It's also unlikely to be a gift - they'll want that money back out of future revenues or they'll want to be a part owner of the league - I doubt very much that JP Morgan have suddenly become extremely generous out of the love of destroying sport.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

Agree. 

I don’t think it’s quite sunk in how detrimental this will be to the domestic game and to Aston Villa. 

The owners might just think, ‘what’s the point?’, because honestly, there is no point. Is there? 

A super league full of teams that can never be broken in to. What becomes of Villa? Like you say, a second class citizen. Even if the unthinkable happens and it goes ahead alongside the PL, these clubs will be super rich and it will be even less of a level playing field than it is now. They’ll be super rich and every other club - poor in comparison. 

That is the major concern here. Owners and fans of clubs will think.. what’s the point? This could literally kill our domestic game and the people running it know that Asia and Africa are more lucrative so who gives a f*** right? 

And then, on top of all this, if it doesn’t go ahead, it will only be because UEFA have bowed to the pressure and given the big teams what they want in the form of a ringfenced CL or something along those lines. 

Perez just became the most powerful person in football and he’ll destroy our game. 

Potentially , just about every club goes bust , unless these super clubs “very graciously “bail everyone else out 

our owners might decide a chance of being 1 of the 5 is worth investing hundreds of millions for .. but I seriously doubt it , I think they sell off the assets that they own , including VP and try and recover as much of their losses as they can ... that’s why these words removed are likely to get away with it and not be expelled or sanctioned

Edited by tonyh29

8 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

Agree. 

Randy Lerner throwing his toys out after FFP springs to mind reading that 

This is why they should never have awarded the rights to Sky. The Premier League should have got Amazon or DAZN or similar to produce the live games and charge a small monthly fee. Currently there's approx 2million fans paying about 60/70 quid a month.

Imagine if it was the 79 a year Amazon charge or 12 a month from DAZN. You suddenly have potentially 10/20 million plus subscribers in the UK alone. You do the same for the Champions League globally and football can potentially earn a lot more from domestic and international broadcast. TIFO football did something on this earlier in the season.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

Tony it’s not 3.6 billion each.

it is however completely f’d up how the money is split up. Here’s a thread that breaks it down.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Sulberto21 said:

This is why they should never have awarded the rights to Sky. The Premier League should have got Amazon or DAZN or similar to produce the live games and charge a small monthly fee. Currently there's approx 2million fans paying about 60/70 quid a month.

Imagine if it was the 79 a year Amazon charge or 12 a month from DAZN. You suddenly have potentially 10/20 million plus subscribers in the UK alone. You do the same for the Champions League globally and football can potentially earn a lot more from domestic and international broadcast. TIFO football did something on this earlier in the season.

It's not just that they want more money - they want more money and they want less money for everyone else.

If everyone gets more money then all it means is wages and transfer fees go up. If it's a closed shop, they can start to agree things like salary caps, agents fee caps, transfer fee caps between themselves without having to worry that some johnny come lately with new money sees that as an opportunity to compete with them and affect their revenues.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, TheAuthority said:

it is however completely f’d up how the money is split up. Here’s a thread that breaks it down.

That’s staggering 

Makes Bayern Munich’s /the  German clubs decision even more staggering to be honest 

4 minutes ago, TheAuthority said:

Hmm, so in theory, Aston Villa could win the PL and qualify to be a punching bag for a season in the Elite Super Wank League?

I guess that Bayern will have to break the German club rules in order to bypass their fan ownership and take part. I'm not sure how they can do that.

Of the other three invited teams, I wouldn't be surprised if one of them was completely left field - Boca or Inter Miami or something equally preposterous.

2 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

That’s staggering 

Makes Bayern Munich’s /the  German clubs decision even more staggering to be honest 

And more honorable. I'll be rooting for PSG in the semifinal.

"It is not a big deal" 

That's the bit that gets me about Perez - the f***ing arrogance of this group.

I'd call on every fan int he country to do everything they can do delay the kick off of every game in this league. Hails of tennis balls, smoke, fog, sit ins on the pitch, whatever it takes to shove something up the backside of these greedy f***ers.

I can piss on your grave Florentino, it is not a big deal.

(I think that's probably enough internet for me today).

• Like 2

Â