Breakaway League

Jareth

What happens if some of these teams players want to play for their country,or just dont want to play in a super league and become persona non grata in terms of being transferred,will they be blacklisted,will they only be transferred inside their own ESL bubble.

12 minutes ago, jackbauer24 said:

1st step, fine them for bringing game in to disrepute.

"In exchange for their commitment, Founding Clubs will receive an amount of €3.5 billion solely to support their infrastructure investment plans and to offset the impact of the COVID pandemic.

It’s not clear if this is 3.5 billion for each club but somehow I think any fines won’t really matter

1 minute ago, Delphinho123 said:

I think you’ll be surprised. We’re talking about clubs going against FIFA and UEFA and forming their own competition. 

I don’t think this is a case of everyone just getting together and accepting this. UEFA as an organisation becomes largely redundant doesn’t it if this happens? The PL as an organisation suddenly becomes a lot poorer. The fans will revolt if their clubs aren’t playing in a domestic competition. 

I think you’re about to see the biggest fight in football ever unfold. 

I don't think there is a fight though. These clubs have too much in terms of commercial real estate that the leagues will just bend over and take it. The real losers are the broadcasters such as Sky and also UEFA. Serves them right. The Premier League will get a back hander and allow the 6 to continue.

It's Perez's comments which convince me that nothing will happen. He's talking about sustainability and all that bs. 

IMO opinion an expulsion from the league is the only option. That's what will hurt them. The world cup and the EURO'S are still the biggest competitions in football protect them and this league will implode. However FIFA will crack and allow players from there to play.

1 minute ago, 1974Centenary said:

What happens if some of these teams players want to play for their country,or just dont want to play in a super league and become persona non grata in terms of being transferred,will they be blacklisted,will they only be transferred inside their own ESL bubble.

Was wondering about this , assuming UEFA etc don’t cave in and boot the clubs out 

I guess ultimately players will follow the money , but if the players collectively say “ we don’t want this” , what happens to them , are they in breach of contract to their clubs or are the clubs in breach of contract to the players .

If it’s only about money from players POV , then every decent player at the clubs outside of the ESL will want out surely ? 

3 minutes ago, Sulberto21 said:

I don't think there is a fight though. These clubs have too much in terms of commercial real estate that the leagues will just bend over and take it. The real losers are the broadcasters such as Sky and also UEFA. Serves them right. The Premier League will get a back hander and allow the 6 to continue.

It's Perez's comments which convince me that nothing will happen. He's talking about sustainability and all that bs. 

IMO opinion an expulsion from the league is the only option. That's what will hurt them. The world cup and the EURO'S are still the biggest competitions in football protect them and this league will implode. However FIFA will crack and allow players from there to play.

IMO FIFA's statement this evening suggested they will do exactly that, and call it a UEFA matter.

• Like 2

Just now, HanoiVillan said:

IMO FIFA's statement this evening suggested they will do exactly that, and call it a UEFA matter.

Let's face it FIFA and UEFA are hardly the models for integrity. The same with the Premier League. 1992 and all that. It's now happening to them. 

1 minute ago, HanoiVillan said:

The English FA could show solidarity and say they won’t pick any players from those clubs  ... unlikely of course , but in theory they could do it 

Just now, tonyh29 said:

The English FA could show solidarity and say they won’t pick any players from those clubs  ... unlikely of course , but in theory they could do it 

Southgate not pick mount. Unlikely.

3 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

You're right, they could; as you say, it seems unlikely.

I wont miss any of these clubs once or if they go. I cant see Harry Kane being overly enthusiastic about not playing for England again,i think the players could make a stand against their owners,that would be interesting.

Transfers are interesting. 

When you buy a player, you essentially buy his registration, his registration licenses him to your club and gives you the ability to offer him a contract to play for you.

If you take Douglas Luiz, the reason his buyback clause meets employment law is that the contract is pre-arranged with both clubs and it's the registration that is being bought back. 

The thing is, that registration is a UEFA/FIFA legal object - if these clubs aren't part of a FIFA/UEFA footballing endeavour, there's nothing that says they need those registrations - they can write their own registration documents and trade those - but for players that are outside of their clubs, they don't need to offer a transfer fee - they're not buying anything. The player can resign, or they can buy themselves out of their contract for the remainder of its value - but there doesn't need to be a transfer fee because they don't need a registration. 

In theory, if FIFA/UEFA don't ratify this and the clubs go ahead completely in isolation to FIFA/UEFA then Man Utd could offer Jack Grealish a contract, pay up what's on his existing one (four years at £7m a year is £28m) and just take him - in theory he could just resign and then sign for them in three months time - the need for a transfer fee rests on every player being registered with FIFA/UEFA, and there's a chance that this league simply wouldn't care about that - it'd be like they quit to become a plumber.

• Like 1

This is a done deal though now isn’t it ? This league is happening regardless of the outcome and the UEFA champions league is no more , all be it it could survive in a lesser  format that sees it dominated by Bayern Munich for the next zillion years , if they stand firm .

so from the rest of English footballs perspective , they need to generate the money that fixtures like Fulham v Burnley isn’t going to generate ... bringing Celtic and Rangers into the fold could be a money spinner but would then ultimately bankrupt every other Scottish club ...

which sadly brings you back to needing to play Liverpool, Citeh etc so they will get away with it wont they ?

29 minutes ago, 1974Centenary said:

I think there is a mountain of details to sift through. If nothing else, it will be fascinating to see how it plays out. At the very least, I hope these clubs are raked over the coals by their own supporters and everyone else. That they are shamed in the public square and that when fans come back they give them an earful. 

5 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

This is a done deal though now isn’t it ? 

I don't think it is. The league can't deal with the loss of income that throwing out the six English teams would cause, but those teams won't cope without the income that leaving the Premier league would cause them. It's a game of chicken in which we're cheerleaders.

What a sad, sad day. Truly upsetting.

Also, it’s already split the fans of the clubs involved. Some are against, some say it’s inevitable. Divide and conquer - it’s the oldest trick in the book.

The first league competition formed in 1888 by our own William McGregor. Put on life support in 1992 and the plug was finally pulled in 2021.

Truly depressing - but I guess that’s progress.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Just now, OutByEaster? said:

I don't think it is. The league can't deal with the loss of income that throwing out the six English teams would cause, but those teams won't cope without the income that leaving the Premier league would cause them. It's a game of chicken in which we're cheerleaders.

I think the league has to call their bluff, and all the other leagues and UEFA. Make THEM sweat, not us.

• Like 2

Â