Breakaway League

Jareth

The funny thing is that all clubs have a vote in all these big European leagues. They can effectively vote these clubs out of the league systems. It would taste so incredibly sweet if the clubs these joey big bollox clubs consider 'small' ousted them from their national leagues. The fans would leave in droves. Kroenke can relocate his pissy little club to Denver and call them the Denver Coinchasers.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

I can't see the Super League clubs holding their nerve if they can't play in domestic leagues. The fans won't support it. It's too unpopular. I don't think it goes ahead unless they keep their spots in the domestic leagues. Hopefully UEFA and the PL come down hard on them and kick them out. 

I could absolutely see a few phoenix clubs sprouting up if this was successful long term. Maybe Salford City suddenly become the biggest club outside the premier league. 

14 minutes ago, Zatman said:

I think the current "also rans" will have short term pain but long term the Super League will be the bigger financial mess

I just think people will get bored seeing the same games with nothing to show for it unless they bring in playoffs at the end of the season. If go by the current Premier League with Super League rules then City won the title in February, the rest of the teams would be just playing out time 

This. Who would watch this. Football is supposed to be competitive.

• Like 1

Just now, ThunderPower_14 said:

I can't see the Super League clubs holding their nerve if they can't play in domestic leagues. The fans won't support it. It's too unpopular. I don't think it goes ahead unless they keep their spots in the domestic leagues. Hopefully UEFA and the PL come down hard on them and kick them out. 

I could absolutely see a few phoenix clubs sprouting up if this was successful long term. Maybe Salford City suddenly become the biggest club outside the premier league. 

If they bottle it - still deduct points or issue bans. This is an egregious act to take it thus far. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

This. Who would watch this. Football is supposed to be competitive.

Yep. A big game against Barcelona isn't a big game anymore if you do it 4 times a season. I think they've missed what makes the Champions League exciting. 

To be honest even if they cave in and get rid of this ridiculous idea.. at what cost? More portion of TV money for those clubs ala Spain which is what they have always wanted? It’ll still kill the competition. I just can’t see top flight English football being the same with or without this ESL.

1 minute ago, The_Steve said:

If they bottle it - still deduct points or issue bans. This is an egregious act to take it thus far. 

I'd hope UEFA ban them all for next season at the very least. 

UEFA must be absolutely seething. They've bent over backwards to funnel money into these clubs and they've just been sensationally betrayed by them. Hopefully UEFA can stay strong. 

Has it been said anywhere how the extra 5 are calculated? Would England get an extra place every season, or is it some strange rules across all of Europe. Last time I checked there were more than 5 countries in Europe- so do they just pick who sold the most shirts in Asia that season?

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, maxjackle said:

Has it been said anywhere how the extra 5 are calculated? Would England get an extra place every season, or is it some strange rules across all of Europe. Last time I checked there were more than 5 countries in Europe- so do they just pick who sold the most shirts in Asia that season?

It'll be invitational like the American syndicates. Most likely Quatari sides or whoever gives the league the most money.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, maxjackle said:

2 MLS teams, 1 Chinese Super League team, 1 Middle Eastern team and a lottery of the rest of UEFA clubs for the last spot

8 minutes ago, Rds1983 said:

14 hours ago, Tomaszk said:

Keep your eyes out for troll bots all over the internet who argue for the super league. They need to get some fans onside before taking a plunge like this.

Knew it!

Bots trying to turn real people are a staple now.

Â