Breakaway League

Jareth

This is absolutely mental. We’ve always had rumours about stuff like this but never did I think they’d go through with it all. 

I haven’t quite got to grips with it all yet but what I’ll say is and as unbelievable it would be, I just don’t see there being any chance the so called ‘big 6’ are kicked out the Prem. I just don’t see it whatsoever. 

With all the money and cheating involved in football plus the joke that is VAR. I think a lot if football fans are at a stage that they will give it up from the "top" table. This could be the last straw

Which when fans return might benefit lower league clubs

• Like 1

I think people are missing the point, talking about which players would or wouldn't want to be in it . . . as far as I can see, it almost doesn't matter; if this goes ahead, we will need players to either leave for it, ot voluntarily take a *massive* pay cut. We would not only want Grealish to leave, but need him to leave. With the next TV deal worth pennies on the pound, and the club already operating at a huge loss, we are going to need to sell everything that isn't nailed down, and find the best players we can who'll do it for less than £10k/week or whatever.

• Like 1

I wonder how it just feel for the players of those clubs. Breaking away from all the history and tradition, to something nobody is sure is going to last even a year. Harry Kane for example could have been the all time leading scorer in PL and England history if he continued playing, but all that is put to an abrupt halt. Will just be a footnote in ESL history if it even lasts long enough to have a history.

Not read all the ins and outs of this proposed joke league but I can guarantee that, when all the arguing and finger pointing is done, it boils down to money - how much more money these greedy clubs can make themselves and how further can they exploit the fans - the same fans they've all been 'claiming' football ain't the same without. 

Seriously, I hope they all get booted out the League, football would go on in England without them 6 clubs, if anything it'd probably improve it as it would be more competitive and enjoyable to watch. 

3 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

The timing is so because they were supposed to announce changes to the CL and Europa cup today. They announced it on Sunday to jump the gun on that.

It’s no coincidence this is happening now, during Covid and at a time where clubs like Everton, Villa, Leeds, Leicester and West Ham are chasing down the elite clubs. It’s done to protect their revenues but it’s badly misinformed. I genuinely don’t think the clubs believe they’ll face any sanctions if it goes ahead. How can you be so arrogant as to think you can play in the PL whilst also being a part of a ‘Super League’ that guarantees you 300m more than everyone else, every year? Are these people stupid? It simply can’t be allowed to happen otherwise the PL, the EFL, it’s all dead. There is no point to it. What’s the point in doing well? Will we invest another 100m this summer? There is no end goal for the ambitious owners now. 

These clubs have to be expelled from the PL and UEFA comps. English football will be a lot worse off either way. 

Also on the timing, it suits them perfectly that there are no fans in stadiums now. Can you imagine the uproar in stadiums! Now they get to ignore the dissent and dismiss it as just noise on the internet. 

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

I think people are missing the point, talking about which players would or wouldn't want to be in it . . . as far as I can see, it almost doesn't matter; if this goes ahead, we will need players to either leave for it, ot voluntarily take a *massive* pay cut. We would not only want Grealish to leave, but need him to leave. With the next TV deal worth pennies on the pound, and the club already operating at a huge loss, we are going to need to sell everything that isn't nailed down, and find the best players we can who'll do it for less than £10k/week or whatever.

I think the current "also rans" will have short term pain but long term the Super League will be the bigger financial mess

I just think people will get bored seeing the same games with nothing to show for it unless they bring in playoffs at the end of the season. If go by the current Premier League with Super League rules then City won the title in February, the rest of the teams would be just playing out time 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, It's Your Round said:

Also on the timing, it suits them perfectly that there are no fans in stadiums now. Can you imagine the uproar in stadiums! Now they get to ignore the dissent and dismiss it as just noise on the internet. 

They are bringing in Steve Bruce as spokesman 😉

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Farlz said:

This is absolutely mental. We’ve always had rumours about stuff like this but never did I think they’d go through with it all. 

I haven’t quite got to grips with it all yet but what I’ll say is and as unbelievable it would be, I just don’t see there being any chance the so called ‘big 6’ are kicked out the Prem. I just don’t see it whatsoever. 

I dunno. I don't think it's likely they can take the money, cause heaps of trouble and stay in the league.

8 minutes ago, Zatman said:

I think the current "also rans" will have short term pain but long term the Super League will be the bigger financial mess

I just think people will get bored seeing the same games with nothing to show for it unless they bring in playoffs at the end of the season. If go by the current Premier League with Super League rules then City won the title in February, the rest of the teams would be just playing out time 

What would even be the point of all that? At this point it doesn't even resemble football anymore. No promotion or relegation, no European football, it's all a race for 1 position, which will end early. If there's no playoffs like the MLS there would be no point watching it, because it's boring as hell. The whole reason football is such a cash cow is because so many people love it, even in its current mangled corrupted state. Take that away and you have nothing. The greed is just off the charts here.

Edited by Keyblade

6 minutes ago, Zatman said:

I'm prepared to believe that long-term, a post-restructuring domestic British league would be in a more sustainable place in terms of its costs via wages. But the short-term challenge will be to avoid 30 or 40 bankruptcies of the remaining teams in the PL and most of the Championship, very much including ourselves, and the big problem 'we' (as a collective) have is that there's only *maybe* 15 clubs to sell players into and everyone is going to need to be selling their most valuable assets, which will drive down prices.

• Like 1

I know it’s been said before, but it’s absolutely tragic that this ‘European Super League’ contains 6 English teams. Assuming they get their 20 names, that’s still 1/3 and and 40% of the total at 15. Sky and others helped stroke the delusional ego of these clubs. The chickens come home to roost now. 

• Like 1

Even if this a ploy for these clubs to get more control over the CL, they should be punished. Bullying tactics by greedy pricks who don’t give a shit about the fans.

Only reason I can’t see it as just a ploy is because shit clubs like Arsenal and Spurs are in there.

1 minute ago, The_Steve said:

I know it’s been said before, but it’s absolutely tragic that this ‘European Super League’ contains 6 English teams. Assuming they get their 20 names, that’s still 1/3 and and 40% of the total at 15. Sky and others helped stroke the delusional ego of these clubs. The chickens come home to roost now. 

What's interesting is there's already an established big 6 in the proposed league who get more money than the rest. That won't be 6 English teams. 

Give it another 10 or 20 years and there'll be discussions on creating a brand new European Super Duper League of just 6 teams getting even more money and control. 

Â