Breakaway League

Jareth

7 minutes ago, villa89 said:

I think the whole thing is just a power play, like any mention of a european super always is. They are hoping the backlash against it puts pressure on UEFA to cave into the demands of the "big" clubs. They don't intend that it will succeed, they just want more control and a bigger slice of the champions league pie. This will ensure guaranteed income for the "big" clubs and create an unofficial monopoly at the top level of European football. 

Think this might actually back fire massively on them this time if that was in their thinking.

2 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

They haven't ended up putting pressure on UEFA to give them a bigger share of revenues, they've created a situation of real anger in the game and I think generated a will to change things in a way that won't be in their favour.

I wouldnt be so sure about that. Firstly I dont think they give two shits what the public think about it. Secondly without the big clubs in the champions league UEFA pretty much go bust. 

1 minute ago, villa89 said:

I wouldnt be so sure about that. Firstly I dont think they give two shits what the public think about it. Secondly without the big clubs in the champions league UEFA pretty much go bust. 

Not sure, we might see the rise of other clubs, a more enjoyable league and champions league.

1 minute ago, villa89 said:

I think what they've done here is gone from gentle threats to breaking into UEFA's house at night and holding a knife to their wife's throat. They've effectively publicly threatened to take all of the money out of UEFA's pocket. UEFA won't see that as a negotiation that they can see out, they'll see it as a threat that needs to be addressed, if this was meant as a negotiation, I think it's turned out to be a very poor one.

8 minutes ago, villa89 said:

I doubt too many players will be that bothered about not being able to play international football. 

I think you'll be surprised. See how desperate Jack was to play for England. 

3 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

I think what they've done here is gone from gentle threats to breaking into UEFA's house at night and holding a knife to their wife's throat. They've effectively publicly threatened to take all of the money out of UEFA's pocket. UEFA won't see that as a negotiation that they can see out, they'll see it as a threat that needs to be addressed, if this was meant as a negotiation, I think it's turned out to be a very poor one.

To me it feels like, 'sure, we will play ball for now and agree to your demands for' but the moment we want more watch us twist the knife in the dark, and propose the Super League once again. Agree to our next set of reforms or we will do it again and again.

I don't think they expected this push back though.

10 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

And I think right now UEFA are together in a room planning how to stop these clubs ever getting into a position where they can threaten to remove UEFA's revenue ever again.

I think the answer to that proposal you've put above is going to be very different to the one they want.

I think this could be important. The quotes coming from UEFA about maintaining sporting integrity make you want to sick in your mouth, but this attempted power grab may just have made them consider looking further ahead than the trough at the end of their nose and potentially re-evaluate just who it is they're getting into bed with. I can't say I'm optimistic though.

3 minutes ago, Tommo_b said:

Bet ole is dreading the post match press conference 

He won't know much about it and won't say anything interesting either. It's not his idea and he has nothing to do with it. Even if he doesn't like it he's smart enough to say nothing.

Edited by villa89

6 minutes ago, The_Steve said:

To me it feels like, 'sure, we will play ball for now and agree to your demands for' but the moment we want more watch us twist the knife in the dark, and propose the Super League once again. Agree to our next set of reforms or we will do it again and again.

I don't think they expected this push back though.

Exactly this - and I'm hopeful that UEFA have now decided that they can't let these people hold knives anymore. If they don't do that, they're committing organisational suicide.

2 minutes ago, Delphouneso said:

this attempted power grab may just have made them consider looking further ahead than the trough at the end of their nose and potentially re-evaluate just who it is they're getting into bed with. I can't say I'm optimistic though.

I think it'll focus them completely on the trough ahead of their nose - these clubs have threatened to take the trough away. They won't stand for that.

• Like 1

Â