Team shape, tactics and personnel

MaVilla

Even Martin Keown said it on BT Sport last night.... Words to the effect of...

The shape is all wrong, the midfield is too narrow yet they're expected to close down and defend the flanks leaving big gaping holes in the middle. If I'm a midfielder playing in that system I'd hate it, he's expecting far too much from them. 

Why can't SG see it?

• Like 2

We need energy and drive in midfield. When Gerrard first arrived he put someone in front of the back four who gave us that and he looked the bes he's been for us. He's still at the club but not had a look in since returning from injury. It's time for Marv to get a game. 

15 minutes ago, DeadlyDirk said:

Even Martin Keown said it on BT Sport last night.... Words to the effect of...

The shape is all wrong, the midfield is too narrow yet they're expected to close down and defend the flanks leaving big gaping holes in the middle. If I'm a midfielder playing in that system I'd hate it, he's expecting far too much from them. 

Why can't SG see it?

Everyone can except him, I wonder how Critchley feels having to coach that crap to the players?

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Brumstopdogs said:

This is interesting! 

I checked back a while and found that in the 2019/2020 season Villa were, you guessed it, bottom again.

Guess which Villa player ran the most over the whole season? You may have guessed it, Mr Aston Villa himself Jack Grealish. 

There is a Villa player on the books who actually set our standard for running the most in a single game that season. A player that seemed revitalised by Gerrard only to be unused since his injury - Marvellous Nakamba. He ran over 11km against Watford. 

The player who ran the most in a single game that season is now apparently on our shopping list - Leander Dendoncker. He ran over 13km in a single game. Interesting! 

The player who ran the most over the course of the whole season was our main target before last season started - James Ward-Prowse. Maybe Smith could see the problem too. 

We need a new manager in to stabilise us. This season is already about preserving our place in the Premier League. That new manager needs good analytically minded people with him and they need to target getting the likes of Konsa, Mings, McGinn, Luiz, Coutinho, Bailey out of the club and replacing them with more energetic players who have more fight in them. Preferably ones who can protect a football and pass it to players wearing the same shirts. 

• Like 1

On the 8 November 2020, we went to the Emirates and pretty much destroyed Arsenal 0-3, playing a 4-2-3-1 formation. Interestingly, seven of our players who played that night played a large part again last night - Martinez, Cash, Konsa, Mings, McGinn, Luiz, Watkins.

How can we be so different? The first half last night was an embarrassment. 

image.thumb.jpeg.b386f5eb5585dcd56bede8add35f5338.jpeg

Now moving forward, surely we need to move back to a 4-2-3-1 formation just to bring some balance and organisation to the side?  

Martinez

Cash     Chambers       Mings       Digne

Kamara        Luiz

??              ??              ??

??

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, ferguson1 said:

On the 8 November 2020, we went to the Emirates and pretty much destroyed Arsenal 0-3, playing a 4-2-3-1 formation. Interestingly, seven of our players who played that night played a large part again last night - Martinez, Cash, Konsa, Mings, McGinn, Luiz, Watkins.

Now moving forward, surely we need to move back to a 4-2-3-1 formation just to bring some balance and organisation to the side?  

Martinez

Kamara        Luiz

??

No we just need new players!!!!!! Squad Rebuild!!!!!! Weak minded soft bellied!!!!! Short!

• Haha 2

Hey guys and gals, has anyone noticed that we're a bit narrow lately?

It only takes one switch when we press and we are under heavy pressure because we only have one wing back for an entire side of the pitch.

But not to worry, I'm sure Stevie G is on it 🙂

2 minutes ago, lapal_fan said:

It only takes one switch when we press and we are under heavy pressure because we only have one wing back for an entire side of the pitch.

How can we be narrow when we have full backs on the wings and centre mids at full back!?

I'm sick of the Coutinho, Buendia or Watkins, Ings debate.

Why don't we have some balls and go 4-2-3-1

-------------------Martinez

Cash-Chambers-Mings-Digna

-----------------Luiz--Kamara

Bailey------Buendia-----Coutinho

---------------Watkins

Basically the same formation we dismantled Liverpool with.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, ferguson1 said:

Martinez

Kamara        Luiz

??

Manager v Clueless manager

21 minutes ago, lapal_fan said:

Thought that watching last nite. think the lads fell into Arsenals trap. Just a lil blip tho I recks

35 minutes ago, TOTTI-THE-GOD said:

I'm sick of the Coutinho, Buendia or Watkins, Ings debate.

Why don't we have some balls and go 4-2-3-1

-------------------Martinez

Cash-Chambers-Mings-Digna

-----------------Luiz--Kamara

Bailey------Buendia-----Coutinho

---------------Watkins

Basically the same formation we dismantled Liverpool with.

That's the team I'd put out, and have been putting out and the team I use on Fifa :lol:

• Like 1

so now we could have  ?

Martinez

Cash          Chambers       Mings       Digne

Dendoncker    Kamara

Bailey           Luiz         Buendia 

Ings  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, tonyh29 said:

so now we could have  ?

Martinez

Dendoncker    Kamara

Ings  

or with no width and his favourites in

Martinez

Cash Konsa Mings Digne

Kamara Dendoncker

Mcginn Coutinho Ramsey

Watkins

i still think thats going to be painful

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, StefanAVFC said:

How can we be narrow when we have full backs on the wings and centre mids at full back!?

Well we're a special case of having the worst of all worlds - narrow offensively where we somehow manage to have players getting in each other's way AND having no one to pass to.

Then we're wide open on the flanks when other teams counter attack and wide open in the middle when other teams build their attacks. 

I think it takes a special ability to get so many things completely wrong. 

wait isnt its obvious that gerrard wont play with 2 midfielders because he wants to cover fullbacks with midfielders? isnt this signing of dendoncker a confirmation that we are sticking with the Gerrards plan or vision of how he wants us to play??

Edited by Tumblerseven
sorry i was drunk

8 hours ago, tonyh29 said:

so now we could have  ?

Martinez

Dendoncker    Kamara

Buendia        Luiz         Bailey

Depay

FTFY

9 hours ago, tonyh29 said:

so now we could have  ?

Martinez

Dendoncker    Kamara

Ings  

Bailey is stronger on the right but we need wingers and Buendia had a lot of success wide right with Norwich.

I'd have Buendia wide right and Bailey wide left. Ramsay or Coutinho playing where Barkley played last year, right up next to a striker who I'd probably go with Ings. 

Â