Summer transfer window 2021

zab6359

It’s kind of annoying reading about the same old regurgitated links to either former players or other PL teams cast offs.

The only link that has been mildly exciting since Buendia is Alvarez. Whilst I wouldn’t say no to the likes of JWP, Tammy and possibly even Alli (still think there’s a player in there), for the prices quoted and the fees these teams would want there is much better value in the market. Even smith Rowe, while a talent, has only had one breakthrough season at Arse.

Leicester just signed Daka for an absolute bargain, that is an example of an excellent value signing. I’ve bleated on about Leicester before (and of course they have European football) but they know how to sign players. We need to take a leaf out of their book with the wealth and ambition we now have. 

There are plenty of players at the Euros who we should be looking at but never get linked with - eg Schick, Berardi, Sanches, Locatelli. Zacharia, Sabitzer. Ok these players are being linked with sides like Arse and Spurs but we’ve already beaten Arse to one signing and these are the teams we should be competing with for signings if we want to push on.

Not being negative, I’m just not overly impressed by our links so far and I hope most of it is just press garbage.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Jas10 said:

He’s had his day, why should we be the ones to take on that burden? I feel it’s more likely to fail than work out. Let’s not pay that price. There’s so many players out there, no need to restrict ourselves.

Anway, Spurs players have a new manager to impress so maybe they won’t be shipping any/many out too soon…

My worry with Ali is attitude but I don’t know the bloke so really I can’t judge. I don’t think he’s a poor player that can’t rekindle his previous heights. When Spurs were after stealing Jack for twenty quid people asked the question, “would Jack get much game time with Deli Ali in the team?”  He’s a good player as long as he doesn’t damage the excellent environment we’ve got here. As has been mentioned he’s still young. 

45 minutes ago, claretman said:

I can’t be bothered to read back and I agree with the sentiments about not buying other teams casts offs but occasionally they work.  

Paul McGrath anyone?  Dodgy knees, heavy drinker-a massive gamble albeit a bit cheaper.  

We would have gone nuts if we’d have signed Lingard yet look how good he was for West Ham.  I think we’re concerned about these links with other clubs because Drinkwater and Barkley were shite.

Paul McGrath was still playing exceptional football every week though. The same cannot be said for Alli. Big no thank you.

6 minutes ago, DaveAV1 said:

My worry with Ali is attitude but I don’t know the bloke so really I can’t judge. I don’t think he’s a poor player that can’t rekindle his previous heights. When Spurs were after stealing Jack for twenty quid people asked the question, “would Jack get much game time with Deli Ali in the team?”  He’s a good player as long as he doesn’t damage the excellent environment we’ve got here. As has been mentioned he’s still young. 

Too much of a risk and burden for me, will be costly… why bother with Levy too? Leave the time waste and headache…

So many and better options out there.

I’m sticking to “broaden our horizons”.

If Alli’s so good and worth all the trouble, why haven’t any of the top 6 been in for him? Isn’t that where we want to be? 

14 minutes ago, Jas10 said:

That’s a big IF mate. PL players don’t come cheap and often demand exorbitant wages…

Well Exactly my point.

IF they want £50m and he wants £150k a week then that’s a no from me

IF they’ll take £20m and he’d sign for £75k a week, then you have to consider it.

Point being, you don’t apply YOUR criteria of ‘no career revivals.’ with a big full stop at the end of it.

You take each deal on its own merits.  That’s the important thing here.

I’m not saying we SHOULD buy Alli.  I’m saying if we DID then I’d be happy about it.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Thug said:

Well Exactly my point.

IF they’ll take £20m and he’d sign for £75k a week, then you have to consider it.

Point being, you don’t apply YOUR criteria of ‘no career revivals.’ with a big full stop at the end of it.

I’m not saying we SHOULD buy Alli.  I’m saying if we DID then I’d be happy about it.

Ideally it's a loan initially so he runs down another year in his big deal and might be more willing to sign for a discounted fee. 

Just now, Thug said:

Well Exactly my point.

My criteria doesn’t matter at all, it’s just an opinion and point of view.

I agree with taking a deal on its own merits, I just don’t see this one having any. Not for us, not a good/right for us imo and we’re talking hypothetically, that maybe it would work out and he’d be an asset. No guarantee of that all, it’s more likely to fail and cost us a la Drinkwater & Barkley. Let’s not go through that shit again…

1 minute ago, Jas10 said:

My criteria doesn’t matter at all, it’s just an opinion and point of view.

100% mate, as don’t mine.  The only criteria that do are the recruitment team’s.

I don’t mean to imply anything else.  This is a discussion, and last year I posted that I wouldn’t want him anywhere near Aston Villa, so go figure.

Your opinion is equally valid as anyone else’s, and this place would be very boring if we all had the same opinion.

👍🏽

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, MotoMkali said:

Ideally it's a loan initially so he runs down another year in his big deal and might be more willing to sign for a discounted fee. 

Do you really think Levy is going to give us an easy and cheap deal? He’s going to rinse us where he can.

Jake Gyllenhaal Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

Alli will be a bargain for whoever is brave enough to take the risk on him and help to rehabilitate him.

Mourinho didn’t rate him and crushed his confidence. He did the same to Shaw and look at him now.

Alli would be relatively cheap and relatively low risk considering he’s a close mate of jacks and would thrive with an supportive manager like Smith. 

id rather take ESR but would be delighted with Alli as a fallback - preferably on loan.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Thug said:

100% mate, as don’t mine.  The only criteria that do are the recruitment team’s.

I don’t mean to imply anything else.  This is a discussion, and last year I posted that I wouldn’t want him anywhere near Aston Villa, so go figure.

Your opinion is equally valid as anyone else’s, and this place would be very boring if we all had the same opinion.

👍🏽

No worries mate, I’m never looking to argue/attack/offend but I admit to getting a bit worked up at times 🤣

Just desperate for success and the right moves…

Calm and reasoned debate is good, if we restrict ourselves to our own thinking we miss or overlook certain points and don’t learn anything…

4 minutes ago, Thug said:

👍🏽

Btw, what has changed your mind then?

(shit, I wanted to move on from Alli 🤣)

5 minutes ago, DakotaVilla said:

Alli will be a bargain for whoever is brave enough to take the risk on him and help to rehabilitate him.

Mourinho didn’t rate him and crushed his confidence. He did the same to Shaw and look at him now.

Alli would be relatively cheap and relatively low risk considering he’s a close mate of jacks and would thrive with an supportive manager like Smith. 

id rather take ESR but would be delighted with Alli as a fallback - preferably on loan.

Alli is apparently renowned for his bad attitude in training, he's a lazy player, he also looked like a childish idiot on the Spurs documentary "nothing or nothing".

I 100% would not want a player with his attitude around our tight, together, developing squad.

No thanks.

Edited by MaVilla
  • Thanks 2

34 minutes ago, VillaFaninLondon said:

It’s kind of annoying reading about the same old regurgitated links to either former players or other PL teams cast offs.

The only link that has been mildly exciting since Buendia is Alvarez. Whilst I wouldn’t say no to the likes of JWP, Tammy and possibly even Alli (still think there’s a player in there), for the prices quoted and the fees these teams would want there is much better value in the market. Even smith Rowe, while a talent, has only had one breakthrough season at Arse.

Leicester just signed Daka for an absolute bargain, that is an example of an excellent value signing. I’ve bleated on about Leicester before (and of course they have European football) but they know how to sign players. We need to take a leaf out of their book with the wealth and ambition we now have. 

There are plenty of players at the Euros who we should be looking at but never get linked with - eg Schick, Berardi, Sanches, Locatelli. Zacharia, Sabitzer. Ok these players are being linked with sides like Arse and Spurs but we’ve already beaten Arse to one signing and these are the teams we should be competing with for signings if we want to push on.

Not being negative, I’m just not overly impressed by our links so far and I hope most of it is just press garbage.

👍

Annoyed, tired, frustrated…

I believe it is press garbage.

Leicester played a blinder with Tielemans, just one example.

I would hope we can & will do the same sort of thing.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

Winks passing numbers are very good. 

Percentile vs all other midfielders from the top 5 leagues over the last 365 days (2,046 minutes played). We don't currently have anyone comparable. 

1478828909_WinksPassing.PNG.d5ec9b4c6a913ab483f0cce790061c9c.PNG

For comparison, here is Luiz.

870570988_LuizPassing.PNG.127396a6b45dec6844c734fdf056bda0.PNG

He was very good under Pochettino. I'd give a player like him a pass under Mourinho, he has absolutely no use for a player like Winks. I wouldn't be against signing him if the price was right. I'd rather a midfielder with more bite and ability to press and win the ball higher up the pitch. I'm not sure if that's him though.