Summer transfer window 2021

zab6359

Alli might get his form back and be great, but that’s another gamble straight after a very expensive failure in Barkley. Also means dealing with Levy…

Plenty of quality 10’s out there looking for a bigger and better opportunity, I don’t really fancy another one looking for a life raft. 

Can we stop considering ourselves a care or revival home for mediocre, overrated, overrated, overpaid, deadbeat, has-been players?

Let’s show a bit more ambition and stop looking at the tired, failed or common names. We don’t need other team’s cast offs (we’re so much better and above that) and put ourself under financial strain again by senselessly wasting millions. We don’t need inferior players either…

We aren’t the Villa of the shitty Lerner and Xia regime, the Villa of mediocrity and looking to take punts that we heavily pay the price for later…

Those days are over, we mean business and have genuine ambition now.

Our owners (and manager) are doing everything they can to push and progress us, they are wise and ambitious. Let’s join in with that.

We have a truly world class talent in Jack and excellent players like Martinez, Konsa, Buendia & Ollie…. do we really want to surround them with mediocrity? I think not. We are aiming high and need high quality players to help us progress and improve. 

When we have invested so much into our scouting department, why the hell would we want to go for mediocre players such as Alli, Winks & Hughes (no better, if not worse, than our existing players) when we can scour the globe, identify the best talent and potential and bring them in to contribute to our success and progression? We’re looking for value and potential, these kinds of names do not fit the bill at all. I don’t give a shit if they have “PL experience”. A tired, overrated and overused phrase. We have enough PL experience in our team as it is, there are good players there. What we need to do is enhance that team, not sprinkle shit on it…

Edited by Jas10
  • Like 3

Apologies for tone, not intended to offend anyone. Sharing frustration and personal gripes & opinions. Just desperate for us to truly progress and succeed & I trust in the club to make the right moves. 

My annoyance is with the bs links in the media more than anything but then we start commenting on them, and even supporting/endorsing them, too.

Edited by Jas10

12 minutes ago, Jas10 said:

Apologies for tone, not intended to offend anyone. Sharing frustration and personal gripes & opinions. Just desperate for us to truly progress and succeed & I trust in the club to make the right moves. 

My annoyance is with the bs links in the media more than anything but then we start commenting on them, and even supporting/endorsing them, too.

Maybe you should take a look in the new shirt thread. That'll chill you out :D

• Haha 2

How much of a risk it is really depends on the deal though. 

He's clearly got a lot of ability and has struggled for various reasons with his existing club. I don't see how it's much different from the Mings deal. I know the club was in a different set of circumstances but there is nothing wrong with buying low if the deal is right. 

2 hours ago, CarryOnVilla said:

If we were in for Dele, it either be a Barkley part 2 or a total coup

I cant work out which one it will be. 

As a player, Dele is much, much better than Barkley - and form a footballing point of view I would be very happy with that transfer.

Barkley's biggest downfall was his complete and utter lack of providing any defensive input at all.

Alli is significantly better from that point of view, whilst still being a significant attacking threat.

My big concerns would be from a party-boy reputation point of view.

Yay no Tammy chat!

As for Dele Ali, I’d welcome him on a loan with an option to buy, he is a far superior player to Ross Barkley.

If it all clicks it would be a master stroke and if it doesn’t you just send him back.

1 hour ago, Thug said:

As a player, Dele is much, much better than Barkley - and form a footballing point of view I would be very happy with that transfer.

Barkley's biggest downfall was his complete and utter lack of providing any defensive input at all.

Alli is significantly better from that point of view, whilst still being a significant attacking threat.

Not sure I agree on that. While you have probably seen more of Alli than me, Barkley's biggest issue wasn't defensive input. His issue was his overall effort and work rate. We could all have forgiven him being a second striker or a CAM with no defensive priorities. His problem was that he had no work rate in the final third either. And was shite on top of it.

He just didn’t look interested.

5 hours ago, Jas10 said:

Can we stop considering ourselves a care or revival home for mediocre, overrated, overrated, overpaid, deadbeat, has-been players?

Let’s show a bit more ambition and stop looking at the tired, failed or common names. We don’t need other team’s cast offs (we’re so much better and above that) and put ourself under financial strain again by senselessly wasting millions. We don’t need inferior players either…

We aren’t the Villa of the shitty Lerner and Xia regime, the Villa of mediocrity and looking to take punts that we heavily pay the price for later…

Those days are over, we mean business and have genuine ambition now.

Our owners (and manager) are doing everything they can to push and progress us, they are wise and ambitious. Let’s join in with that.

We have a truly world class talent in Jack and excellent players like Martinez, Konsa, Buendia & Ollie…. do we really want to surround them with mediocrity? I think not. We are aiming high and need high quality players to help us progress and improve. 

When we have invested so much into our scouting department, why the hell would we want to go for mediocre players such as Alli, Winks & Hughes (no better, if not worse, than our existing players) when we can scour the globe, identify the best talent and potential and bring them in to contribute to our success and progression? We’re looking for value and potential, these kinds of names do not fit the bill at all. I don’t give a shit if they have “PL experience”. A tired, overrated and overused phrase. We have enough PL experience in our team as it is, there are good players there. What we need to do is enhance that team, not sprinkle shit on it…

I agree with a lot of what you say but Will Hughes is pretty young and was one of the best midfielders in the championship last season. You mention Konsa, Buendia and Ollie, maybe Hughes would be a perfect fit.

I dont think we are in for Harry Winks but as Dean Smith said our ballretention was an area he´d like to strengthen this season. Keeping the ball is important and I guess that is what Winks is good at? No spectacular longrange goals or alot of assists, instead just keep the ball moving and not letting the opponent have it.

Its all a balance. I wouldnt be against it at the right price. 

1 hour ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

Not sure I agree on that. While you have probably seen more of Alli than me, Barkley's biggest issue wasn't defensive input. His issue was his overall effort and work rate. We could all have forgiven him being a second striker or a CAM with no defensive priorities. His problem was that he had no work rate in the final third either. And was shite on top of it.

He just didn’t look interested.

Well I may be generalising, but I think that would pretty much translate into defensive input.  When he had the ball, he'd put in the effort, and when we were breaking forwards he'd get himself up there - but the real lack of effort came about when we didn't have the ball.

Alli is a completely different kettle of fish.  I know stats shmats and all that, but for lack of any other objective way of comparing here they are.  Sorry, fbref comparison page doesnt seem to be working right now so I've had to do a snapshot side-by-side

Alli certainly gets the work in.

RBDA.JPG

9 minutes ago, Thug said:

Well I may be generalising, but I think that would pretty much translate into defensive input.  When he had the ball, he'd put in the effort, and when we were breaking forwards he'd get himself up there - but the real lack of effort came about when we didn't have the ball.

Alli is a completely different kettle of fish.  I know stats shmats and all that, but for lack of any other objective way of comparing here they are.  Sorry, fbref comparison page doesnt seem to be working right now so I've had to do a snapshot side-by-side

Alli certainly gets the work in.

RBDA.JPG

And note, dribbled past stat should be the other way around, RB should be red, not 94% centile but rather 6th centile for getting dribbled past.  
Basically a traffic cone. Alli is 85th centile 

3 hours ago, Thug said:

Pretty sure we have a “no d*ckheads” policy and wouldn’t want to risk unsettling the squad & team spirit/harmony with any “bad eggs”.

I also think signing Jack’s mates would be a poor strategy, we shouldn’t be dictated by that or by Jack. We need the best/right players for the team to take us forwards.

For where we want to go, I just don’t think we can afford any “projects” or major risks, no passengers. By that I mean players who are out of form, lazy, bad attitude etc. We don’t have time to deal with that crap if we genuinely and immediately want to kick on. We need players with some semblance of form and the right attitude, to go along with talent, players worth paying the fee and wages for.

Let’s learn our lesson this time and stop holding ourselves back.

Forget expensive punts like Alli, why risk disrupting the team spirit & unity just for him? Again, we’re not a care & recovery home for players. We want to push ourselves closer and closer to the elite. You do that by getting the most talented, promising players with the hunger and determination to make a huge contribution to the team and play a significant part in our success.

Don’t get attached to “names” and has beens, let’s look for the new rather than the same old… wasting time and resourcing on trying to revive careers is not our problem or responsibility. Let’s not hinder our progress.

• Like 1