Summer transfer window 2021

zab6359

20 minutes ago, Thug said:

I don’t think you’re wrong, but Chelsea scored only 3 more than us and finished 4th

Chelsea was the outlier really.

West Ham scored 7 more times than us (and they missed Antonio for a good 3 months of the season who was their main striker). Leicester scored 13 more than us and for all their issues Spurs scored also 13 more which shows the value of having two 20 + goal strikers in squad regardless of general team form and playing negatively as they did for six months under Mourinho.

That's before mentioning Leeds also scored 7 more than us.....:ph34r:

Unless people are expecting our defence to be even better next season and keep 20 clean sheets which is a very big ask, I don't think it's an unreasonable demand for us to have a central midfielder capable of getting 10 league goals next season and a back up striker who can also get in that range (Cavani scored 10 league goals as example of that). If we ever want to finish top 4 in the future we're going to have to attract those players who can signficantly increase goal output. Better to do it while Grealish remains at the club of course.

Winks passing numbers are very good. 

Percentile vs all other midfielders from the top 5 leagues over the last 365 days (2,046 minutes played). We don't currently have anyone comparable. 

1478828909_WinksPassing.PNG.d5ec9b4c6a913ab483f0cce790061c9c.PNG

For comparison, here is Luiz.

870570988_LuizPassing.PNG.127396a6b45dec6844c734fdf056bda0.PNG

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

I have a suspicion the calibre of player we are interested in signing may well be waiting for clarification on Jack Grealish's future. We can tell them he's not for sale until we're blue in the face, but it would make sense if you were on the outside looking in to be sceptical of that. 

You mean like Messi?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Chelsea was the outlier really.

West Ham scored 7 more times than us (and they missed Antonio for a good 3 months of the season who was their main striker). Leicester scored 13 more than us and for all their issues Spurs scored also 13 more which shows the value of having two 20 + goal strikers in squad regardless of general team form and playing negatively as they did for six months under Mourinho.

That's before mentioning Leeds also scored 7 more than us.....:ph34r:

Unless people are expecting our defence to be even better next season and keep 20 clean sheets which is a very big ask, I don't think it's an unreasonable demand for us to have a central midfielder capable of getting 10 league goals next season and a back up striker who can also get in that range (Cavani scored 10 league goals as example of that). If we ever want to finish top 4 in the future we're going to have to attract those players who can signficantly increase goal output. Better to do it while Grealish remains at the club of course.

milinkovic-savic lazio GIF by nss sports

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Shocked 1

27 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

I don't think it's an unreasonable demand for us to have a central midfielder capable of getting 10 league goals next season

If we ever want to finish top 4 in the future we're going to have to attract those players who can signficantly increase goal output. 

Forget JWP… let’s bid for SMS. Let’s go big, I don’t think the asking price would be too dissimilar.

JWP - PL and English tax, plus Soton’s value of him and reluctance to sell. £40-60m?

If we could get SMS for anywhere in that range…even a bit more, I know which player I would at least bid for… would he be that much harder to lure? What a statement signing that would be… on a completely different level…

If we really mean business…this is the player to go for…

Am I dreaming again? 😆

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Jas10 said:

Forget JWP… let’s bid for SMS. Let’s go big, I don’t think the asking price would be too dissimilar.

JWP - PL and English tax, plus Soton’s value of him and reluctance to sell. £40-60m?

If we could get SMS for anywhere in that range…even a bit more, I know which player I would at least bid for… would he be that much harder to lure? What a statement signing that would be… on a completely different level…

If we really mean business…this is the player to go for…

Am I dreaming again? 😆

Latest rumour is Liverpool looking to sign him for 52m (so they've quickly moved on from McGinn 😉)

https://www.football365.com/news/transfer-gossip-liverpool-sergej-milinkovic-savic-man-utd-sancho-coman

That's the thing about SMS. In last 3 years he's been linked to Man. United, PSG, Juventus and Liverpool yet still at Lazio.

Reminds me of when Van Gaal was at Man. United and was desperate to sign Felipe Anderson. Didn't happen and two years later he signed for West Ham for 40m.

These sort of transfers can happen for teams just below the top 6. Watford had only been promoted for a year and they signed Roberto Pereya from Juventus. Can't remember if Deulofeu was at Barca or Milan when they signed him around that time.

Edited by VillaChris

1 minute ago, VillaChris said:

Latest rumour is Liverpool looking to sign him for 52m (so they've quickly moved on from McGinn 😉😞

https://www.football365.com/news/transfer-gossip-liverpool-sergej-milinkovic-savic-man-utd-sancho-coman

That's the thing about SMS. In last 3 years he's been linked to Man. United, PSG, Juventus and Liverpool yet still at Lazio.

Reminds me of when Van Gaal was at Man. United and was desperate to sign Felipe Anderson. Didn't happen and two years later he signed for West Ham for 40m.

These sort of transfers can happen for teams just below the top 6. Watford had only been promoted for a year and they signed Roberto Pereya from Juventus. Can't remember if Deulofeu was at Barca or Milan when they signed him around that time.

52m? That’s a bargain for such a quality player, come on Villa! Go for it!

Would truly transform and elevate us… would be a very ambitious move but can you imagine if we managed it….?

Sheet GIF

Man, it just shows how overpriced and overrated PL players are.

I really don’t get the fear of signing foreign players when there are so many exceptional players out there, you’ve  just got to target the right ones, many that have entered this league and elevated it…

6 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Latest rumour is Liverpool looking to sign him for 52m (so they've quickly moved on from McGinn 😉)

Just look at that…

spacer.png

3 minutes ago, RJA1703 said:

Some talk on socials of Dele Alli. Anyone know where these rumors are coming from?

Lazy bollocks from BM copying dodgy Football Fan Cast bollocks based on Windass saying he would be good fit at Villa

2 hours ago, thabucks said:

If winks was Spanish’s I think some would have a better appreciation of his talents. He is a bit too similar to what we have IMO can wouldn’t be against signing him for the right price… 

winks actually did qualify to play for spain through his grandparents 

Honestly wouldn't mind alli. He's struggles the last few years but I'm certain there is a player there. I think he has struggled going from an attacking side in pochetino to mourinho who seems to be allergic to attacking. His last full season under poch he missed 24 games due to injury 10-22 of them due to 3 or 4 separate incidents of hamstring/thigh muscle injuries. Then he redid his hammy in 19/20 and then poch was fired. I think if he is past those injuries he could be worth a shout he'd definitely be a good option off the bench and if he could reclaim his confidence back then he could be a real asset. 

Obviously it would depend on his contract and what deal could be done. But if we could get a loan with an option to buy for a reasonable price say 25 million. I would consider it. But we would have to have a reasonable option to buy as loaning him without an option to buy simply means we are rehabing a players value with no reward for ourselves.