Summer transfer window 2021

zab6359

1 minute ago, VillaChris said:

Covid/injury didn't help but from what I've seen he has Grealish like impact on them. Their results weren't that terrible when he had his absence end of November. Then comes back and they have best performance of season away to Everton. Then injured again but returns for draws with Spurs and Liverpool and win over West Ham. Will hopefully be the same for us if Jack ever comes back as can't underestimate the confidence one player on the pitch can give to the other ten sometimes.

He is a fine player, we can buy better for that large a fee through.

3 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

But that’s just it. There isn’t any scenario where we’ll play with two strikers if our central midfielders and wingers aren’t improved on. 

Competition is healthy, sure, but wouldn’t it be better to sign players in positions we need to strengthen rather than sign players to compete with the best players at the club? 

I accept that mate, of course.

My reasoning is that it's a long season and alot of games including cup competitions too.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Delphinho123 said:

I might be in the minority, but I’m absolutely fine going into next season with our current crop of strikers, or at least I don’t see it is anywhere near as much as an issue as our wingers. 

I’d literally sign 3 wingers before looking at a striker. 

You might be in the minority but I am with you as well, but I would go for 2 wingers not 3 :)

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, paul514 said:

You have missed out Louie Barry, he is actually coming through at the moment not just some random youngster.

I doubt he will be in our first team next season though.

I agree he should feature but doubt he will.

3 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Not sure if i'm honest, last time I actually saw him play was last Champions League I think, and he was quite good?

In my view, my thinking was more along the lines of " type of player/position//pedigree " I would go for if given the choice, not so much the named players.

I know you love Tammy though. lol

I just thought I would grab your opinion on the guy, - I left my Tammy specs on the table for half an hour.  :)

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

I might be in the minority, but I’m absolutely fine going into next season with our current crop of strikers, or at least I don’t see it is anywhere near as much as an issue as our wingers. 

I’d literally sign 3 wingers before looking at a striker. 

Please don't forget a DCM/CM !

• Like 2

1 minute ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

I doubt he will be in our first team next season though.

I agree he should feature but doubt he will.

For me, he’s a couple of seasons off still. Again, possibly in the minority, but I haven’t been all that impressed with Barry having watched him play a few times. The standout youngsters for me have always been Carney, Kessler and Ramsey. I confess to know very little about Philogene-Bidace also. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Tomaszk said:

I think he'd be absolutely fantastic for us.

He reminds me a bit of Milner when he was coming through. Hardworker in a 4-4-2 who can get up and down and chip in with goals with room for improvement.

Issue for me is how effective would he be in different formation as Burnley pretty much always play that aside from the odd game so it's different roles. Burnley just want their wide players to run up and down and hit in cross after cross for Wood whereas ours are now about cutting inside and trying to link up with Watkins.

He's a good player no question.....but I want the feeling from one of our signings this summer they'll push us into top 6 within next two seasons and I wouldn't quite get that from Dwight McNeil.

In fairness, I can't see us being in for Coutinho, he's too old for the model we're looking at, I use him more as an example that teams in our position in the league, with similar ambitions are linked to him and players of that ilk and that we perhaps limit ourselves here a little too much to the up and comers, the players that a lot of us won't have heard of outside of this thread.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, thabucks said:

Neither - Tammy is not good enough for the money he would cost with better options available IMO. He reminds me of Frazier Campbell . 

Coutinho is shot and passed it and again better players for us available for less or similar on their way up rather than down.

Mate, that is so harsh. Tammy is much better than he ever was.

Just now, Delphinho123 said:

I’d be very, very surprised if Lookman wasn’t on our radar. 

If we aren't going for a wide player of extreme quality (with the attached price tag) then I would be surprised if we weren't interested at 17m

• Like 1

Just now, Delphinho123 said:

I’d be very, very surprised if Lookman wasn’t on our radar. 

I'm not sure. If we move Grealish to the ten position then I'd be happy with him, but if not it's hard to see where we'd fit him in and I don't think he'd come to be a back up.

I'd love to see us try for Tariq Lamptey.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

I'm not sure. If we move Grealish to the ten position then I'd be happy with him, but if not it's hard to see where we'd fit him in and I don't think he'd come to be a back up.

Always injured and relies on explosive pace, that is a bad combo. Not to mention we don't need a right back as a priority this summer.

Just wanted to add as well, if we were to want a right back next summer it would still be Max Aarons over him.

Edited by paul514

1 minute ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Off Topic, but is there a Champions League thread?

PSG all over City here early, can tell it will be a hell of a game.

1 - 0 PSG

I don't see how they will even score, you can see the shape and there is no 'point to it' because they haven't put a striker in the team.

Just now, OutByEaster? said:

I think we’d sign him as a left winger and we’d move Grealish to 10. I think we have so much more control of a game with Grealish in the middle as he retains possession more and basically does things that world class players do. 

However, I’m not against keeping him on the left, it just means we need to sign another quality attacking midfielder (what Barkley was supposed to be). 

I’ve said it before on here, but if we have a budget of say, 100m, I’d be more than happy spending 70m of that on Bissouma and Lookman. What we need now is players that will come here and command a starting position, relegating the current crop to squad players. 

• Like 1