Summer transfer window 2021

zab6359

2 minutes ago, MWARLEY2 said:

And now reports Spurs are on the verge of signing Moriba from Barca for 17 mill . 

Poor mans Chukwuemeka 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, thunderball said:

To address some of the general points of issue here:

1. We could definitely do with a more dynamic, progressive central midfielder. Whether they compete with McGinn, Sanson, Luiz or Nakamba is irrelevant, we lack this player and none of those we have have made an unarguable case for themselves as the stand-in candidate, in fact, far from it.

2. We haven’t replaced Grealish on the LHS. Bailey can deputise but he is not the like for like replacement.

3. I think we are short of quality due to international competitions this year. We will lose key players for prolonged periods and that will affect us, but the silver lining is it might give the youngsters a chance.

4. If Wesley is gone, its likely for good. And if he wasn’t good enough then Davis has no place here either, sentiment has no place in that, we need a much better deputy pushing Ings and Ollie, neither neither may with us for too long and we need cover and continuity. 

5. Unless we are a lost cause like Sheffield Utd, I dont think Dean Smith is going anywhere this season, even if results mean we regress. That might change during the summer, but we won’t panic unless we are terrible before Christmas.

I also think depending on how we fare this season we go big next summer, we now have the money. I also think we will sign Cantwell in January for >£10m or next Summer on a free. 

I think we’ll see Buendia on the left more than Bailey with the whole inverted winger thing we like to play. You’re right though, we haven’t properly replaced Grealish as Buendia prefers to play on the right, as does Bailey. 

5 minutes ago, Peter Griffin said:

Does the extra 20m/25m a year on wages for these new players count?

Would say it closer to £15m, will be shocked if any of the new signing are on over £75k a week. If Grealish was offered the reported £200k a week, you could argue that selling him has not only offset the net spend but also covered the wages of 3 of the new signings.

2 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

I think we’ll see Buendia on the left more than Bailey with the whole inverted winger thing we like to play. You’re right though, we haven’t properly replaced Grealish as Buendia prefers to play on the right, as does Bailey. 

Some will say we will play 4-4-2 and therefore we dont need to but I think Ings sits where Barkley sat so the shape is similar. I like the fact that Buendia and Bailey seems very comfortable on either side, and Buendia can play at 10 or even more deep lying - that’s progress. Ings is the curve ball, it could be the Joker in the pack, but it will depend on him getting through a bigger workload as well as carrying that greater threat. We lose Barkley’s dribbling and creativity but hopefully gain goals. We hopefully get the creativity as well as greater modern endeavour from Watkins/Buendia and Bailey. I think Traore will contribute this year also. It’s all going to take time to click though, with our fixtures I really can see us in a pretty poor placing come November, but hopefully kick on from there.

19 minutes ago, WHY said:

Would say it closer to £15m, will be shocked if any of the new signing are on over £75k a week. If Grealish was offered the reported £200k a week, you could argue that selling him has not only offset the net spend but also covered the wages of 3 of the new signings.

Ings is on 120k according to multiple sources. Bailey and Beundia, say 70k each and Young must be on 70k/80k and Tuanzebe is costing us 5m which covers wages. That's 350k a week which is 18m a year and add in Axel on top of that and we are spending a lot of cash

I just don't feel it. 

We've lost one of the best players in the league. We already had Buendia. 

Ings and Bailey are his replacements and Ings is competition to one of our stand out players, Ollie. 

So we've got Bailey in competition to Traore. 

The rest of the team is the same. 

Spurs and Arsenal have definitely improved. West Ham still seem to be performing well. 

Leeds and Everton haven't improved. 

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, WHY said:

Ings is on £120k

He rejected £100k contract offer from Saints to become their top earner. We offered him a bit more and big fee to Southampton, hence it all happend so quickly.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Lord Willard said:

I just don't feel it. 

Ings and Bailey are his replacements and Ings is competition to one of our stand out players, Ollie. 

Spurs and Arsenal have definitely improved. West Ham still seem to be performing well. 

Pretty much where I’m at. 

We signed a striker to compete with one of our best players and you could argue we’ve signed two right sided attackers to compete with Traore.

Of course, in reality one will play on the left but still. 

Now, had we done all of the above and signed a starting defensive midfielder, I’d have said it was a good window, or at least a decent one. Had we done all that and signed two starting midfielders then I’d be really excited. 

I can’t get away from thinking that we’ve missed an opportunity this Summer. We may have marginally improved at the absolute best but it’s still nowhere near enough to leapfrog West Ham, Arsenal or Spurs. 

A 10th place finish would be a fantastic achievement as things stand in my opinion. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Peter Griffin said:

Arsenal have got Ben White. Hardly earth shattering. 

Nuno Tavares - Benfica, undisclosed

Albert Sambi Lokonga - Anderlecht, £15m

Ben White - Brighton, £50m

Martin Odegaard - Real Madrid, undisclosed

Aaron Ramsdale - Bournemouth, £30m including add-ons

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Lord Willard said:

I just don't feel it. 

To be fair we have to add in ChukOne and BidACE to this as they only got minutes in the last 2 games of last season

But i completely understand your thought process. We had 1 premier league standard striker last season so adding Ings was a minimum . 

I just wish that one of the local journalists would push Smith on this . It seems they just ask the easy questions .

Just now, Lord Willard said:

Nuno Tavares - Benfica, undisclosed

Albert Sambi Lokonga - Anderlecht, £15m

Ben White - Brighton, £50m

Martin Odegaard - Real Madrid, undisclosed

Aaron Ramsdale - Bournemouth, £30m including add-ons

And the most important thing? They haven’t lost one of the best players in the world. 

They may have not have improved significantly, but I don’t think they’ll go backwards either. 

I don’t think we have a hope of finishing above them with our issues in midfield. 

• Like 2