Summer transfer window 2021

zab6359

Just now, Spoony said:

Really have to pull out all of the stops for a top quality CM. Ward-Prowse for me is an absolute ideal signing. Just pay what they want. 

Lose against Newcastle next week .....would he still be interested ?

1 hour ago, Sulberto21 said:

Because he can't pass the ball.

He definitely can, he put a few raking long balls onto a teammates big toe as he always can, it's the occasional stray pass that all our players can be guilty of that gets highlighted when he does it 

Just now, skarroki said:

He definitely can, he put a few raking long balls onto a teammates big toe as he always can, it's the occasional stray pass that all our players can be guilty of that gets highlighted when he does it 

Which led directly to a goal. More often than not his long raking balls you talk about are misplaced.

1 hour ago, Rolta said:

Gems that are already playing at a higher level than the Prem/Championship? Or are they only gems if they're from a lower level abroad? 

We signed players from relegated teams in our past. We're in a new era where simply buying the best teams from the relegated/promoted teams isn't good enough. We need to up our game if we're to challenge top 7.

I reckon our business will be done a bit later in the window after a couple more players are off the books (Guilbert, Hourihane, Wesley).  But we need at least 2 central midfielders - ideally for me JWP and Sarr/Doucoure. 

It would be nice if we could get some good money for AEG and replace him with someone better but imagine that will be next summer, same goes for Nakamba. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Villarocker said:

Our centre midfield was destroyed today. 

It certainly was. We played a 2 man midfield consisting of a £2.5m and an £8m signing. It was always destined to be destroyed. Dean is blaming the lack of intensity of the players but it was poor tactics and poor players that cost us. If we start the same team again next week, they will get destroyed again.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, M_Afro said:

It certainly was. We played a 2 man midfield consisting of a £2.5m and an £8m signing. It was always destined to be destroyed. Dean is blaming the lack of intensity of the players but it was poor tactics and poor players that cost us. If we start the same team again next week, they will get destroyed again.

But, we played those two with various number 8's against better teams last season and did better. 

Is it a case of us missing Grealish? I know, we don't want to go there but, what if his holding the ball up meant we could build our attacks better? Who held the ball up today? I'll tell you, nobody did. We need to learn that side of the game really quick. 

Just now, Villarocker said:

But, we played those two with various number 8's against better teams last season and did better. 

Is it a case of us missing Grealish? I know, we don't want to go there but, what if his holding the ball up meant we could build our attacks better? Who held the ball up today? I'll tell you, nobody did. We need to learn that side of the game really quick. 

Of course we missed Grealish but that midfield two will never work. It was exactly the same last week against the Italian side. It was only after Ramsey and Conor came on that we improved. Not good enough.

9 minutes ago, M_Afro said:

Agree. He is right hand side of a front 3. 

Bailey's best position? Although he can play wide left. 

1 minute ago, Xela said:

Cantwell getting some positive comments on Twitter, from fans of 'top 6' teams wanting their team to sign him. 

Had a nice passage today where he gave the ball straight to Jota and then eventually raked him down from behind like you would in FIFA.

8 minutes ago, a-k said:

Had a nice passage today where he gave the ball straight to Jota and then eventually raked him down from behind like you would in FIFA.

I like him even more after reading that. 

During an interview broadcast on BBC Radio WM today, Dean Smith was asked whether he was still hoping to bring some new faces in. He replied, "No, I think we're quite satisfied where we're at, at the moment". I think if that is the case and we don't add anyone else, a lot of us will be rather disappointed. 

The money that we've got in from Manchester City, pretty much covers what we have spent on players during this window to date. Before the window most of us had predicted a net spend of on or around £100m. That is the sort of figure that we need to spend to move forward on what we achieved as a team last season, having now sold "our best player", to use Dean's own words during the interview. If we don't spend again, then I would suggest that we will do well to match last season's points total. I don't think that's what our owners have in mind and I know as fans we are looking for progress. 

The full interview is below (from 6.53 to 8.42):

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/p09r5n15

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, M_Afro said:

Agree. He is right hand side of a front 3. 

I have been suckered into thinking he is a 10 .When in reality his creativity comes from playing on the right. Not as a pacy winger but like our old fav Nobby Solano .right hand side but can come a bit deeper. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, John said:

During an interview broadcast on BBC Radio WM today, Dean Smith was asked whether he was still hoping to bring some new faces in. He replied, "No, I think we're quite satisfied where we're at, at the moment". I think if that is the case and we don't add anyone else, a lot of us will be rather disappointed. 

The money that we've got in from Manchester City, pretty much covers what we have spent on players during this window to date. Before the window most of us had predicted a net spend of on or around £100m. That is the sort of figure that we need to spend to move forward on what we achieved as a team last season, having now sold "our best player", to use Dean's own words during the interview. If we don't spend again, then I would suggest that we will do well to match last season's points total. I don't think that's what our owners have in mind and I know as fans we are looking for progress. 

Worrying.

Is it a comment made to have an impact on a deal waiting to happen?

Or, 

Perhaps the owners are saving a little money for January?

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, John said:

It's a difficult one, Luiz and Sansom are weeks away, the board probably say wait till January and see how these go first. I say buy big. Worry about the housekeeping later.

• Like 2