Summer transfer window 2021

zab6359

11 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

Would it be a panic?

We have McGinn, Luiz, Sanson, Hourihane, Nakamba and Ramsey.

There isn't a pair in there that's good enough - so we need to play three.

People are talking about us competing with Arsenal and Tottenham - how many of those six do you think would get into the matchday squads of those two sides? How many would be in Leeds squad, or in Everton's?

We need a new midfield because we need a new midfield - I don't think that's a panic.

I think you are right. There isn't enough technical ability or grit in that midfield as it stands. 

It baffles me how we single out and then belittle individual players when that was so blatantly a poor team performance.  I could not pick a MoM out of that from our side, we were literally second best everywhere.  The premier league is all about small percentages, that will be a wake up call across the squad and I would expect a reaction in training on Monday and in the performance against Newcastle.

Do not lower yourself to slandering players its unbecoming, the squad is young and heading in the right direction, they just were not fit enough today

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

Would it be a panic?

People are talking about us competing with Arsenal and Tottenham - how many of those six do you think would get into the matchday squads of those two sides? How many would be in Leeds squad, or in Everton's?

We need a new midfield because we need a new midfield - I don't think that's a panic.

Luiz and Ramsey. And I’ll add that people are still writing off Sanson too soon.

4 minutes ago, Made In Aston said:

I think you are right. There isn't enough technical ability or grit in that midfield as it stands. 

Agreed. I think we need to stick to 433 and we need to be ruthless and add 2 starters in there. A top quality centre mid and a real destroyer. A couple of our existing players are good enough to fight for that third slot between them, but starting 2 or 3 of them per game like we have to currently is why we can't dictate play. 

Go all out for JWP and a holding player.

• Like 1

On 21/07/2021 at 10:19, est1874 said:

I'm worried how open we're leaving ourselves in a few key positions currently.

[...]

LB - Targett was fantastic last season and deserves to be first-choice going into this season. However, we did all have concerns about him prior to his up-turn in form. There are no guarantees he will continue his great form, and as glad as I am to have Ashley back at our club, I would have major doubts about his ability to play LB at Premier League level. Apart from any concerns about his pace and stamina etc, the Premier League full-back position has arguably again evolved since he was doing a job there for United. It's the most high-energy role on the field now, and effectively you need to be very good at both ends of the field, not just one or the other.

[...]

I'd add LB back to the list of needs as my short term reaction to today. At RB we have Cash and Guilbert plus Kesler coming through. At LB we have Targett and Young who both looked way out of position a lot today. Chrisene is nowhere near as close to the first team as Kessler either. Young is a 1 maybe 2 season stop gap. 

I'd be looking at a young LB pretty urgently because Target needs some competition

24 minutes ago, skarroki said:

Sanson is a bit of an unknown but he was brought in to be a starter I suspect.

12 months ago we were worried about losing Douglas Luiz to Man City so I expect people would have said he'd get into the Arsenal or Spurs team.

John McGinn is class but gets absolutely slated on here for whatever reason, I'm not sure.

I would like another in and then Hourihane sold, Ramsey + Chuk out on loan but if those 3 and Nakamba are our back ups going into the season then we'll have to adapt to that.

Because he can't pass the ball.

• Like 1

While I understand the want from most to go get a big defensive mid I wouldn’t mind a Kante type. A Billy Gilmour type. 

We just need a real defensive mid to act as a blocker in the midfield. We’re far too nice in there  

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

JWP and one more in the middle of the park will give us a chance.

Agreed. We need a new midfield IMO. 

Going just by today I think it was more in possession that our midfield let us down than when without the ball. Watford simple got the ball out wide to Sarr or Sema whenever they had the ball and we couldn't cope on the flanks. The "destroyer" would not have solved that unless he's also very good in possession.

Hope we have a LW and CM lined up. All signs this summer points to us having tried to get this in so fingers crossed.

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

Would it be a panic?

Oddly enough, McGinn, Luiz and maybe Sanson, would actually get game time at clubs higher up the table but, as you mentioned, not together.

Put McGinn alongside Kante and Chelsea have a perfectly good pairing. Put Luiz next to Pogba and Man U still have a good midfield. 

Put any of our together and the midfield is weak. We're missing that piece of quality and athletism to tie it together.

31 minutes ago, Aston_Villan4 said:

Luiz and Ramsey. And I’ll add that people are still writing off Sanson too soon.

Mate he's been here since January. 5 months ago he twisted his knee !!!

He's played half a dozen game since Dec 2020. We pounced quickly. because a £30m player was available for £15m. ........

I really wouldn't be waiting on Sanson to come to the rescue.

Last season our defence was pretty solid and we looked a threat going forward. The big problem IMO was the midfield. 

We haven’t addressed that. 

Just now, hippo said:

Mate he's been here since January. 5 months ago he twisted his knee !!!

He's played half a dozen game since Dec 2020. We pounced quickly. because a £30m player was available for £15m. ........

I really wouldn't be waiting on Sanson to come to the rescue.

Lol no I’m not saying we should expect him to come to the rescue. I’m just saying let’s see what he can do when he’s fully healthy. He looked good when he did play considering he just joined the team. It’s a shame he couldn’t get in a pre-season with the squad. But make no mistake, even I would still like to see one big midfield signing.

I also wish we could get someone like Nkunku as well. Our team would be deadly,

40 minutes ago, grobs said:

Just go all out and get cantwell and JWP

NO! We've reached a level where we need to look bigger than lower end Premier League and top end Championship. If we want to progress up the league it is time for Lange to step up and start finding gems ready for that level. 

• Like 2