Summer transfer window 2021

zab6359

13 minutes ago, Mantis said:

If Smith says "yes we're after a couple of players" then that just gives every club the greenlight to rinse us for all we're worth.

Exactly. It’s hard to believe those criticising Smith for saying we’re okay can’t see that. 

• Like 2

Purslow is paid to run the club and achieve the assigned goals he is given by our owners. I don't think consolidation is the goal for this season. So the pressure will be coming on Lange and Smith to meet the goals stated. I would be hugely suprised if we dont get at least 1 high quality central midfielder as its obvious to us and the whole of football that our midfield is the problem. 

• Thanks 1

I don't get the point in saying we're not after anyone else. The second we approach a club about a player, they know we're after them.

The only reason that could end up being a lie is to raise the fans spirits higher if we do sign someone.

If its not a lie, I think we're going to about match last season... so 8th/9th if we get lucky with injuries,  which so far we have not, or 11th if we don't. 

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

Worrying.

Is it a comment made to have an impact on a deal waiting to happen?

Or, 

Perhaps the owners are saving a little money for January?

I’ve not read the comments after today’s game so I’m not sure what has been said but surely more will now agree now our midfield is unbalanced and too easy to play through.

28 minutes ago, Phil Silvers said:

It's a difficult one, Luiz and Sansom are weeks away, the board probably say wait till January and see how these go first. I say buy big. Worry about the housekeeping later.

Both those players need a proper DCM to play next to them.

5 minutes ago, MrBlack said:

I don't get the point in saying we're not after anyone else. The second we approach a club about a player, they know we're after them.

The only reason that could end up being a lie is to raise the fans spirits higher if we do sign someone.

If its not a lie, I think we're going to about match last season... so 8th/9th if we get lucky with injuries,  which so far we have not, or 11th if we don't. 

Agreed. The pseudo bluff fools no one. If we not buying anyone else DS has his hands tied.

Our business has been unbalanced. We’ve bought in good players without a plan. 

We can’t play 4-4-2 because we don’t have the midfield. 

4-2-3-1 is an issue because we can’t play both Ings and Watkins in this formation. 

4-3-3 is an issue because you have to drop Ings or Watkins and potentially Buendia/Bailey.

Anyone saying I’m overreacting is talking nonsense. If you look at my posts for the last few weeks I’ve been telling anyone who’d listen that we need to replace Grealish and buy a defensive midfielder. 

Smith needs to figure out a way to get the best out of what he has. We have some very good players but I’ll be god damned if I know who plays where and in what system. 

I don’t envy his task. The club isn’t giving Ings 100k a week to sit on the bench. I have this horrible, horrible feeling they didn’t expect Grealish to leave and now they’re scrambling around to make good. 

• Like 1

Daichi Kamada and either Kepheren Thuram or Boubacer Kamara would sort out our Jack Grealish sized hole and the gaping hole in the defensive midfield area. JWP can wait.

Moving Wesley and AEG on frees up revenue and wages.

Edited by Sulberto21
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Villarocker said:

We signed players from relegated teams in our past. We're in a new era where simply buying the best teams from the relegated/promoted teams isn't good enough. We need to up our game if we're to challenge top 7.

We’ve just spent the best part of £90m on players from teams like you just mentioned. What makes you think we are suddenly going to go after higher calibration players?

I agree with you btw, I want the board to show real ambition that we want to dine at the top table. So far I’m not convinced they are putting their money where their mouth is. Instead it sounds like there is going to rely on the youngsters to come good and buy the odd £30m player.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

Our business has been unbalanced. We’ve bought in good players without a plan. 

We can’t play 4-4-2 because we don’t have the midfield. 

4-2-3-1 is an issue because we can’t play both Ings and Watkins in this formation. 

4-3-3 is an issue because you have to drop Ings or Watkins and potentially Buendia/Bailey.

Anyone saying I’m overreacting is talking nonsense. If you look at my posts for the last few weeks I’ve been telling anyone who’d listen that we need to replace Grealish and buy a defensive midfielder. 

Smith needs to figure out a way to get the best out of what he has. We have some very good players but I’ll be god damned if I know who plays where and in what system. 

I don’t envy his task. The club isn’t giving Ings 100k a week to sit on the bench. I have this horrible, horrible feeling they didn’t expect Grealish to leave and now they’re scrambling around to make good. 

I find myself liking all your posts because that is how I feel. I still think Buendia was bought to play with Grealish rather than instead of him despite what narrative is now put out. At some point there has been some skulduggery re Jack and we’ve had to buy fast. Bailey may or may not have been in the making but Ings was a definite curve ball and one that may cause us problems as we try and shoe horn him in.

Yes, I know I’m like a stuck record but its dreadful that we haven’t improved the midfield since the problems last season became apparent.

35 minutes ago, Mantis said:

If Smith says "yes we're after a couple of players" then that just gives every club the greenlight to rinse us for all we're worth.

Surely if we go in for a player, the selling club is going to know that we want and need their player, otherwise we wouldn’t be interested, so I don’t get this comment. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Xela said:

I'd be disappointed if we end the window in profit for the summer.

The ambitions of the club are very clear - progression and Europe. We won't get that at the moment. 

Same. If we had kept Greasy we would have expected to spend at least £70m. Now we have no Greasy  and currently in profit. I’m staggered there were so many people prior to today saying they were happy with our business if no one else came in. What happened to our ambition?

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Xela said:

I'd be disappointed if we end the window in profit for the summer.

The ambitions of the club are very clear - progression and Europe. We won't get that at the moment. 

I thought strongly some more players would be coming in even before today; but I really hope it is even more evident to Smith and company that our midfield needs some help after Watford. Get JWP and someone like Baumgartner from Hoffenheim or similar and let's get it going. 

3 hours ago, skarroki said:

Sanson is a bit of an unknown but he was brought in to be a starter I suspect.

12 months ago we were worried about losing Douglas Luiz to Man City so I expect people would have said he'd get into the Arsenal or Spurs team.

John McGinn is class but gets absolutely slated on here for whatever reason, I'm not sure.

I would like another in and then Hourihane sold, Ramsey + Chuk out on loan but if those 3 and Nakamba are our back ups going into the season then we'll have to adapt to that.

Chuk on loan no chance i agree about the rest but he can do what Bellingham is doing now at dortmund , we have to keep giving him minutes hes an unbelievable player trust me

3 hours ago, Villarocker said:

Fitness is exactly what we lacked today. 

But, why Ramsey for Targett? Exaplin that? 

Why start El Ghazi wide right when we ALL know he's no good there? 

Where was Buendia meant to be playing in that second half? I saw him more than once playing in the same position as the first half. Ramsey was directly behind him. Who was wide left when Young went to left back? 

So many answers needed. Tell you one thing, those doubting McGinn's quality need to shut up. He's been asked to play deeper than his quality befits. For me, as seen when he plays for his country, he should be playing behind the striker. 

Maybe our starting lineup. When all fully fit, should be:

----------------------Martinez----------------------

Cash--------Konsa-------Mings-------Targett

-------------New DM-----Luiz---------------------

Bailey------------McGinn--------------Buendia

----------------------Watkins--------------------------

Not sure if you were watching but Ramsey replaced Targett so that Young would play at LB due to the overload Targett was getting 

• Like 1

Martinez

Konsa     Mings  
   Cash                                         Targett

New DM  Mcginn

Buendia   
          Bailey     Ings     Watkins 

Subs:

Steer
Tuanzebe 
Young 
Sanson 
Chukwuemeka 
Traore  
Luiz  
Philogene-Bidace 
Wesley

Bailey and Watkins Slightly further behind Ings 

Ladies & Gentleman this is the side and formation that will best work for us at this moment in time, i think we need a stronger DM In replacement of Luiz, I actually think Luiz is best playing as a CM, Ramsey should be loaned out however he didnt play bad today but hes just not giving us that buzz we need or that extra special something, we are trying to get Europe and we need to achieve that so no room for keeping players we say are this and that if they cannot bring us to that next level Thats football its a harsh world.

Mcginn is a great player but would he be playing for man city every week absolutely not , are we trying to reach that level yes we are so at some point we would have to upgrade on that position im not saying we have to do that now but in due course those changes would be made, same way i have assessed and stated Luiz isn't that beast of a player we need in that area so he should be used in rotation.

I expect Wesley,Ramsey,Nakamba,Conor and maybe Hause to be moved on

Edited by RicRic
  • Like 1