Summer transfer window 2021

zab6359

19 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Yeah I've watched them.

They look very good.

You almost don't want to say it on here, due to fear of getting slammed 🤣

Strong squad as well.

Do you really think they have strong depth? If they had the number of absences that we do they'd be decimated in my opinion. They have one striker, only one or two back up attacking players and not enough defensive minded players of quality to cover all positions. 

Apart from Soucek and Rice in defensive midfield I would say that our starting eleven is better than theirs in the other nine positions, man for man. Our bench is much stronger and the depth and quality of our back up players is better.

What differs in their favour right now is that they have a squad that is used to playing together, is in good form and confident, and they have been lucky with injuries so far. They fully deserve their position last season and the great start to their season so far. However, they are riding their luck a bit and form is always given to going up and down. They need to invest more in their squad, as we are doing right now, but I do not think that their owners have the money or inclination to do so to the level going on at Villa.

These are just my thoughts, others may have more faith in the depth of West Ham's squad. However, a full strength Villa, used to playing together, can achieve more than West Ham, I hope and believe.

If your intention was not to suggest they are better than us but worthy of respect, I apologise and fully agree. It was your mention of a strong squad that caught my eye though.

• Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

Loftus Cheek wouldn't be a bad move, not sure on his wages though. Looking through the media, convinced we will make another signing, lots of players available and lots of teams need the money. be a very busy day tomorrow, lets hope we can bring someone in.

I would have agreed if I hadn't seen him with Fulham last season. He was very poor

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Monkeypuzzle said:

Do you really think they have strong depth? If they had the number of absences that we do they'd be decimated in my opinion. They have one striker, only one or two back up attacking players and not enough defensive minded players of quality to cover all positions. 

And when Villa sign Rice for 80m tomorrow evening they will be bang average

9 minutes ago, Kiwivillan said:

Glad you and others have all but written our chances off after 3 games without our best XI in a single game. Manure are lucky to be on 7pts after some scrappy results against teams they'd expect to beat comfortably. Spurs 3 wins thanks to goal keeping howler last game

I haven’t written our chances off after three games, I said before the competitive games started that I thought we weren’t strong enough if you look at my comment history.  I don’t think this squad is strong enough.

I think you’ll find that I said I’m ok with a consolidation season if that is the aim.  What I’m not happy with is saying (fans) our aim is Europe when (imo) we are clearly not strong or balanced enough for that.  That leads to disappointment and more pressure on the team and manager if the team aren’t reaching those heights.

Even Dean and Mings have said similar to me in that our aim is to improve on last season.  We finished 11th so my 9th, 10th or 11th prediction is in that ball park. If we wanted a serious attempt at Europe we would’ve strengthen further.  We haven’t and while that’s disappointing at a missed opportunity, our aims should be based on what we have now and I don’t think that’s enough for European place qualification.  Obviously we strive for it but our overall aim is to improve on last season.  

We lost our most creative talent, which everything went through.  We now need to learn to play slightly differently, we need Buendia and Bailey to live up to their hype, to settle quickly and click with the team.  That’s a huge ask but I’m hopeful.  Ings should be great.  We are slightly unbalanced on the left side and our midfield lacks something and most feel that’s a quality DCM.  We’ll have the benefit of a lot of these players having another years experience at this level like Ollie and Konsa which will help.  

I just think European places are out of our reach, that’s not writing us off, it’s more feeling like our level is still just inside the top ten based on everything.

• Like 2

I am all for not making panic signings.

I am all for a well thought out considered recruitment strategy.

I am generally very very happy with the owners.

But even surely the happiest of fans must see we have big holes in the squad. All it will take is a bit of covid and injuries and we are in trouble?

• Like 3

39 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

Loftus Cheek wouldn't be a bad move, not sure on his wages though. Looking through the media, convinced we will make another signing, lots of players available and lots of teams need the money. be a very busy day tomorrow, lets hope we can bring someone in.

He is undoubtedly a good player but in the past has been plagued with injuries and he wasn’t good last year with Fulham as a first team player.

you would have to really believe you could rehabilitate him to bring him in and it would have to be a substantial wage drop too.

3 minutes ago, Pissflaps said:

But even surely the happiest of fans must see we have big holes in the squad. All it will take is a bit of covid and injuries and we are in trouble?

tumblr_n58i1jOpHz1qmwtm0o1_500.gif&f=1&n

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, KMitch said:

I can't wait for the window to shut so I can stop checking this thread daily for transfer updates, but instead find myself reading page after page of the doom mongers spewing the same garbage for the last 8+ seasons.  Some of you moaners must be great at parties...  Unbelievable. This culture of instant gratification/entitlement makes me hate being a fan of sports.  Nothing is good enough for some people...

This is the strongest Villa team we've had during my 15 years of following the Premier League, and yes that includes our 07-08 squad.  We have the best youth team setup in the country with several superb talents on the verge of breaking through, and just brought in 4 quality players this summer.  Yeah, we sold Jack...  Boo hoo...  We got the 6th highest transfer fee of all time for him, when we nearly sold him for Josh Onomah and a bag of crisps 3 summers ago.  We finally have some smart men who have business sense in control of the club, along with a fantastic manager who worked his way up to the Premier League from League 1 and hasn't let us down yet.  If they've decided to not spend more money or not to buy this magical brick shithouse defensive midfielder who will magically allow us to qualify for the Champions League, I trust them.  UTV!!!

I know I’m a bit late on responding to this post.. but.. thanks! Seriously.. Thank you!

1 minute ago, Pissflaps said:

Carney at RB, Iregbunam at CDM, Sinaslo at GK...maybe these guys are close enough and the cover is good enough at the moment to not buy anyone else right know?

Maybe not, and we get someone who can genuinely improve us straight away but wouldn't want to stifle these coming through if they are deemed good enough 

• Like 2

Saw a rumor on Twitter where we're negotiating with Man United for Lingard on a permanent deal... 

Unpopular opinion, but I would love him here.  He gets a lot of flack for his antics off the field, but he's been dynamite for West Ham and England in 2021.  We'd have serious strength and depth across our attack.

5 minutes ago, Adman said:

Carney at RB, Iregbunam at CDM, Sinaslo at GK...maybe these guys are close enough and the cover is good enough at the moment to not buy anyone else right know?

Maybe not, and we get someone who can genuinely improve us straight away but wouldn't want to stifle these coming through if they are deemed good enough 

Carney would be an awful RB tbf

• Like 1

The self-satisfaction of those who can't bring themselves to ever question any strategy or decision taken by the club is far harder to stomach than the overreaction of a minority of "doom merchants", as far as I'm concerned.

Some people are hard to please. Others will never be happy until everyone is happy. And then they wouldn't be happy, because everyone else would be just like them.

Edited by est1874
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, KMitch said:

Saw a rumor on Twitter where we're negotiating with Man United for Lingard on a permanent deal... 

Unpopular opinion, but I would love him here.  He gets a lot of flack for his antics off the field, but he's been dynamite for West Ham and England in 2021.  We'd have serious strength and depth across our attack.

If we could get him for about 15m it would be a nice surprise