Summer transfer window 2021

zab6359

Following on from villa4europe, i think DS has sorted the defence now, the midfield and attack need sorting now.

For me Mcginn IS good enough, but not alongside Luiz and Sansom. A Bissouma , and i would definately take a gamble on Alli, alongside McGinn , with Sansom and the emerging Ramsey would be a good base. Alli offers the attacking , Taylor/Platt kind of midfielder , who likes to get in the box, and support the attackers that we don't have atm. I would let Luiz go if a good offer come in.

SJG is an obvious, not sure Watkins is a lone striker if im honest, certainly looked more comfortable alongside Davis on Sunday, wide right?

Not convinced Wes is a player to get us into Europe if i'm honest, not sure Tammy is either, would love a fit Jimenez kind of player.

I think the ambition of the owners might surprise a few on here tbh. You could argue that a substantial investment this summer could be insured by SJG value if necessary.

IF Alli is available for £25m as reported, its a no brainer for me......hes 24.

• Like 1

We do need to add further quality to our match day squad and let a few players leave who are probably not good enough for the Premier league now.

However it is a bit of  a balancing act as unless were are in Europe next season we could be in danger in having  a bloated squad with a lot of players not getting any game time.

We will again probably be playing 40-45 games tops. Once you are a top 6 club that is more like 60. Big difference.

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, ROTTERDAM1982 said:

I remember when we were linked him when Spurs first got him (for £5m if I remember correctly).

As a footballer he has looked very good in the past BUT I would question his character - given that Mourinho has really left him out isolated.  I think we have, to quote David O'Leary, "a good honest bunch of lads" and I wouldn't want to disrupt that.  This is just my perception though and, if the reality was different, he could be a great buy at that price.

43 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

We do need to add further quality to our match day squad and let a few players leave who are probably not good enough for the Premier league now.

However it is a bit of  a balancing act as unless were are in Europe next season we could be in danger in having  a bloated squad with a lot of players not getting any game time.

We will again probably be playing 40-45 games tops. Once you are a top 6 club that is more like 60. Big difference.

I don't think there is much danger of that happening as there is already room in the squad imo, plus enough players on the way out.  Barkley will get replaced, at least two of the full backs will go, Engels, one of Trez or Anwar, plus I expect Wes or Davis will go out on loan.

1 hour ago, ROTTERDAM1982 said:

Following on from villa4europe, i think DS has sorted the defence now, the midfield and attack need sorting now.

For me Mcginn IS good enough, but not alongside Luiz and Sansom. A Bissouma , and i would definately take a gamble on Alli, alongside McGinn , with Sansom and the emerging Ramsey would be a good base. Alli offers the attacking , Taylor/Platt kind of midfielder , who likes to get in the box, and support the attackers that we don't have atm. I would let Luiz go if a good offer come in.

SJG is an obvious, not sure Watkins is a lone striker if im honest, certainly looked more comfortable alongside Davis on Sunday, wide right?

Not convinced Wes is a player to get us into Europe if i'm honest, not sure Tammy is either, would love a fit Jimenez kind of player.

I think the ambition of the owners might surprise a few on here tbh. You could argue that a substantial investment this summer could be insured by SJG value if necessary.

£25m attacking midfielder for me I think someone will take the risk on thiago almada and then a lot of clubs and their fans will regret it not being them

Would have a similar player to grealish on the right balance us and work? Would both of them come in to the middle? Dunno but id like to see it from the small snippets and the hype, can play in the middle or on the wing

He'll end up at a mid table European team, don't think he's ready for utd yet, been linked with Leeds too and that would proper piss me off (but it looked like a lazy Bielsa link) watch him go somewhere like fiorentina or hoffenheim 

1 hour ago, ROTTERDAM1982 said:

Do not even think we have to spend on another striker as we could just allow Barry minutes in the first team. So yes Keeper, Defence and striker positions would all be sorted.

Lets just spend what we have allocated in Wingers and Midfielders.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The Fun Factory said:

Bloated squads are really as you say for a club who looks to entertain Europe but wants to keep a top five leave spot.

Our part of the squad past the bench isn't capable of winning a crappy carabao cup tie, we witnessed that. It will take season's for us to get decent players that are not part of the bench or first eleven. The top five can house great talent still beyond that bench but we're not there yet or close.

Next window and beyond for a few seasons it's going to be reinforcing first team and bench and somehow the trickling of talent from bench to fringe will start down the line. Not everyone we buy is always going to fit right in and some players will no doubt struggle and become lost, here's hoping we just go out and soend decent, wisely on the right guy to do the right job.

3 minutes ago, Dave-R said:

Bloated squads are really as you say for a club who looks to entertain Europe but wants to keep a top five leave spot.

Our part of the squad past the bench isn't capable of winning a crappy carabao cup tie, we witnessed that. It will take season's for us to get decent players that are not part of the bench or first eleven. The top five can house great talent still beyond that bench but we're not there yet or close.

Next window and beyond for a few seasons it's going to be reinforcing first team and bench and somehow the trickling of talent from bench to fringe will start down the line. Not everyone we buy is always going to fit right in and some players will no doubt struggle and become lost, here's hoping we just go out and soend decent, wisely on the right guy to do the right job.

Leicester have done it without spending big and they don't seem to get many buys wrong.  They have been lucky with some big fees - Maguire and Chillwell - but they do keep investing.  Wolves were on their way but the inability of the Chinese owners to keep funding growth has led to them going backwards imho.  I am hoping that Smith can also grow into his role as I still see him as tactically weaker than a, say, Rodgers.

I think, properly managed, as we are, with good scouting and recruitment and our fantastically wealthy owners' ongoing support, we could only be a few years away from challenging for top 4/6.  This assumes that the all 6 of the so called big 6 don't get their act together any time soon as this could make things much more difficult and that Ashley doesn't suddenly manage to pull of the sale of Newcastle to the Saudis or someone similarly mega wealthy. 

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Dave-R said:

Do not even think we have to spend on another striker as we could just allow Barry minutes in the first team. So yes Keeper, Defence and striker positions would all be sorted.

Lets just spend what we have allocated in Wingers and Midfielders.

I'll be absolutely amazed if we don't sign a striker. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

I'll be absolutely amazed if we don't sign a striker. 

Yeah me to but we have an option that gives us a way in how we can better spend that money in Midfield and Wingers instead.

If we do go for buying a striker then I'm sure we will go buy someone else as costly as what Watkins were to us.

I'm watching Brentford v Birmingham at the moment all because I want City to get trashed. Also hoping I see why Ivan Toney at his best and this highly rated player that everyone keeps talking about shows us why we should bring him to Villa.

So far the games boring with brief spells, I'm not sure what is more boring Paint dry or the thought of Karen Brady doing a strip tease 😂.

5 hours ago, useless said:

I imagine that we will probably make four or five signings but we won't be buying multiple wingers, and replacing the likes of Luiz and McGinn as some seem to think. I think the positions that we definitely will strengthen are centre-forward, a winger. Not sure how he's done at Albion but wouldn't be surprised at all to see us go for Naitland-Niles, can cover left-back and right-back, and is good in central midfield as well, and would tie in with what Smith has said about signing players trying to get into the England squad.

Would love Maitland Niles. Covers about 4 positions comfortably.

4 hours ago, ROTTERDAM1982 said:

Now you my friend are one of the few that understands the ambitions and direction of the club ... YES 1000% try and go for Delle Ali and send back barkley as much as i loved seeing him play for us hes not going to take us forward. Sanson will definitely improve and looks tidy yet has done little since arriving... thats all we would need in there and a winger who can play forward as a striker , LB as back up to Targett and Kesler can fill in for Cash imo 

10 hours ago, AVTuco said:

We obviously will try to get real quality, but in our price range we still need to take some risks. Not as much as before, but some. And that means not all of them will pan out. So if we buy 2-3 quality player we can expect 1 or 2 of them to come good. 

I expect us to be in the 12-14th range this year. So, a clear improvement is realistic nect year.

Fair enough. I certainly don't have us finishing as low as 14th after the weekend win so I was working on logic of say finishing 8th this season and you wanting half a new team so that would mean pushing for 5th or 6th.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Fair enough. I certainly don't have us finishing as low as 14th after the weekend win so I was working on logic of say finishing 8th this season and you wanting half a new team so that would mean pushing for 5th or 6th.

4th or 5th please is the hopeful aim...very ambitious me , but why not ... i think changing 3 positions in our squad and upgrading can have us challenging in those positions for sure

Edited by RicRic