Summer transfer window 2021

zab6359

1 hour ago, Delphinho123 said:

Would it not be an idea to extend El Mohamady's contract by 12 months and send Kessler out on loan for a season to a Championship club? Same with Carney and Barry. I still think they may be 12-18 months off a first team role.

(could be wrong).

I don't disagree.  I would probably bring Guilbert back for 12 months rather than keep Elmo.

I agree with you re Carney, Barry, JPB, A Ramsey, Chrisene etc..

I might also send Jacob Ramsey out for 12 months with a top Championship side if we bring in a new DCM and a 10 (or a LW so Jack drops in at 10).  Same with KD if we bring in a new striker and keep Wes.

27 minutes ago, paul514 said:

You need 2 DCM’s if you put Jack at 10

Don't agree with this.  We looked very good with Luiz - SJM - Barkley against Pool, Arsenal etc. earlier in the season (why this is no longer the case I, and most others, are not really sure) and Bissouma is a more defensive minded player than DL and Jack is a better defender than Barkley.  We played with the pair of 8's - Jack and SJM - in the championship and it worked well.  

1 hour ago, nick76 said:

There’s no way JPB will be playing time this season in the first team

Then there is no way we should rely on him in our planning for next season. He has to have some first team men’s football in this league or the one below before we can do that.

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, barry'sboots said:

Don't agree with this.  We looked very good with Luiz - SJM - Barkley against Pool, Arsenal etc. earlier in the season (why this is no longer the case I, and most others, are not really sure) and Bissouma is a more defensive minded player than DL and Jack is a better defender than Barkley.  We played with the pair of 8's - Jack and SJM - in the championship and it worked well.  

Playing your best forward and and moving him further down the pitch isn’t the best idea when you can simply not play McGinn

• Like 1

1 minute ago, paul514 said:

Then there is no way we should rely on him in our planning for next season. He has to have some first team men’s football in this league or the one below before we can do that.

I agree, plus in such crucial positions for next season we have to go and purchase top quality creative players and allow our youngsters to come through as the time is right for them and the team.  If they are good enough they’ll get plenty of time as well.

With our rumoured interest in ligue 1 talent this summer Romain Faivre is a player I hope we are keeping a tab on ... https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/romain-faivre/profil/spieler/555076

https://extratimetalk.com/romain-faivre-a-top-target-for-europes-elite/

Arguably one of the more consistent performers in Ligue 1 this year, he’s scored five goals and provided three assists in his 25 matches... 22-year-old Romain Faivre has the potential to be one of the best players in France in the coming years. His goals and assist tallies might not be eye-catching, but they only scratch the surface of what lies beneath. If he remains consistent in his performances, he will be a top target for Europe’s biggest clubs. His technical and tactical presence, his ability to support the attack with quality passing and progressive dribbling, and his effort on the defensive end of the pitch would convince any manager to sign him. He is one for the future, plain and simple. Remember Riyad Mahrez‘s move to the Premier League anyone?

Don't think we need much surgery.

A nice wonderkid like Hlozek who can be a deputy across the front 3. LCB and LB cover needed as well, championship can provide. 

Sanson, Ramsey, Mcginn, Luiz, Nakamba is enough for CM. 

Someone like Januzaj would be a nice wildcard.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, MrSmirch said:

A nice wonderkid like Hlozek who can be a deputy across the front 3. LCB and LB cover needed as well, championship can provide. 

You really are on a different page to most on here and, if you believe the media, to the owners who seem to want to go big again.😉

Not sure why we would need LCB cover when Hause looked very good when he came in for Mings?  Assume you mean RCB??

3 hours ago, YouUnastanFren said:

After seeing about 5 minutes total of him playing I've decided I want us to sign Daryl Dike. Barnsley have an option to buy for £14m and if they don't come up I'm sure they'd be happy to sell it to us for a profit.

Good shout. He still looks a little raw but represents a bargain at that money. 

26 minutes ago, paul514 said:

Playing your best forward and and moving him further down the pitch isn’t the best idea when you can simply not play McGinn

I don't disagree with you that I would rather see Jack playing further forward as a "10" but my initial point was that SJM did the second pivot/8 role alongside Luiz in the opening 10 games or so and it looked good.  And I would argue that Luiz is not a natural DCM as TRO often points out.  Like most, I am not sure why the form of that pair has dropped of the edge of a cliff but I think a strong DCM plus one of Luiz, SJM or possibly Sanson or Ramsey (a 6/8 alongside) should work.  Chelsea (and England) for that matter play two 6's and it looks overly negative to me, as long as your 8 is able to get up and down and contribute properly when in defensive mode.

Just don't think our back 4 gets much protection at the moment. Luiz is a good player, but isn't a proper defensive disrupter. Think we desperately need someone in that role. Nakamba but better, with the option of using a second DM against top teams or having Luiz drop back from a more central role for extra support as necessary. 

20 minutes ago, MrSmirch said:

I think people are in for a shock, we will sign probably 3 players at most. Maybe 1 starter and a couple of young players to develop further

• Like 2

nakamba IMO isnt good enough on the ball to ever be a regular starter

luiz is really disappointingly making his good form last calendar year look like the anomaly rather than the norm

mcginn should be a squad player at best

and we need to replace barkley

if the right players are available then i think we need 2 midfielders

as well as back up LB and 2 new wingers, maybe another striker too depending on Wes and another CB if we shift engels

• Like 2

We had all this last summer, people convincing themselves that we were going to play Grealish in midfield, but it didn't happen, and why would it when he was one of the best if not the best left-wingers in the league, and this season he's been even better. so again next season for the most part he will be playing on the wing. Also have to remember that playing on the wing doesn't mean what it used to, it's not as if Grealish is stuck out wide, he still has license to come inside, so can still do most of the things he'd do as 'no.10' anyway.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, useless said:

We had all this last summer, people convincing themselves that we were going to play Grealish in midfield, but it didn't happen, and why would it when he was one of the best if not the best left-wingers in the league, and this season he's been even better. so again next season for the most part he will be playing on the wing. Also have to remember that playing on the wing doesn't mean what it used to, it's not as if Grealish is stuck out wide, he still has license to come inside, so can still do most of the things he'd do as 'no.10' anyway.

Yeh, I'm not against him playing on the wing at all tbh. He's brilliant everywhere he plays. 

• Like 1

I imagine that we will probably make four or five signings but we won't be buying multiple wingers, and replacing the likes of Luiz and McGinn as some seem to think. I think the positions that we definitely will strengthen are centre-forward, a winger. Not sure how he's done at Albion but wouldn't be surprised at all to see us go for Naitland-Niles, can cover left-back and right-back, and is good in central midfield as well, and would tie in with what Smith has said about signing players trying to get into the England squad.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

nakamba IMO isnt good enough on the ball to ever be a regular starter

luiz is really disappointingly making his good form last calendar year look like the anomaly rather than the norm

mcginn should be a squad player at best

and we need to replace barkley

if the right players are available then i think we need 2 midfielders

as well as back up LB and 2 new wingers, maybe another striker too depending on Wes and another CB if we shift engels

I think that sums it up perfectly if we want to move forward ie top 6

We need to make more chances and at the present we don't have the players to do that consistently

36 minutes ago, barry'sboots said:

You really are on a different page to most on here and, if you believe the media, to the owners who seem to want to go big again.😉

Not sure why we would need LCB cover when Hause looked very good when he came in for Mings?  Assume you mean RCB??

You're right, i completely forgot about him, he did look pretty good. 

There a Percy quote a while ago saying we were only after a forward and winger. I don't think another summer with lots of arrivals would be too beneficial.