Summer transfer window 2021

zab6359

2 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Massively overrated for me. Seen them a few times and I just don’t get the hype.  Good, tidy player yes. Star in the making? No chance. 

I like him, still young obviously, walks in to our team, can see him getting a big move in 2 to 3 years and if he doesn't pick Nigeria he'll be in the national side too, you look at the U21 midfield and I'd take him 3rd best in there after Smith-Rowe and jones who are both unobtainable

Yeah think Eze is closest type to Grealish we could realistically sign with how he plays.

Not really sure Hodgson is right sort of fit with the rigid style Palace set up as, think he'd flourish under Dean Smith or Graham Potter type manager with more licence in final third and Palace are still designed to just give the ball to Zaha at every opportunity.

7 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Yeah think Eze is closest type to Grealish we could realistically sign with how he plays.

Not really sure Hodgson is right sort of fit with the rigid style Palace set up as, think he'd flourish under Dean Smith or Graham Potter type manager with more licence in final third and Palace are still designed to just give the ball to Zaha at every opportunity.

Replace Zaha with Grealish and that sums up Villa tbf.

19 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

I like him, still young obviously, walks in to our team, can see him getting a big move in 2 to 3 years and if he doesn't pick Nigeria he'll be in the national side too, you look at the U21 midfield and I'd take him 3rd best in there after Smith-Rowe and jones who are both unobtainable

Can’t see it mate. Maybe I haven’t watched him enough but I’d be amazed if he gets a move bigger than where he is.  Can see him at Palace for quite a while.  Seems to fool people with a bit of tidy play. There’s not actually that much end product.

Edit: I don’t think he offers that much more than Traore with what I’ve seen. So wouldn’t walk straight in to our team if everyone’s fit. 

Edited by Vive_La_Villa

Eze has been really good for Palace and would walk into our team even allowing for the fact that he plays the same position as Grealish he'd get in our side on the right. I think it's probably too late to sign him now though, as it's very difficult to sign other premier league clubs best players, and even if he did become available I could see someone like Spurs or even Arsenal being interested in him, which being London based teams he'd presumably favor.

If we want a player of his type we should go for Olise.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, sne said:

Kinda agree although we managed pretty well this time around with Cash, Watkins & Konsa. Not that they were cheap by any standards.

We have our fair share of disaster buys from the Championship before these guys thou.

If you look at West Ham - who are doing rather well this year - they have spent some big money on foreign buys, i.e. Haller, Yarmalenko & Andersen, who we all probably thought were exciting buys at the time but have had much better value from Championship buys, i.e. Benrhama, Bowen and Antonio, and picking up reasonably priced Czechs in Coufal and Soucek.

I guess its all about good scouting but I like my defenders to be Scandanavian/Eastern European (both hard and no nonsense), although I'm obviously happy with the English quartet we have currently and my attacking players to be largely Championship players who are used to and proven in the English leagues.  

29 minutes ago, useless said:

Eze has been really good for Palace and would walk into our team even allowing for the fact that he plays the same position as Grealish he'd get in our side on the right. I think it's probably too late to sign him now though, as it's very difficult to sign other premier league clubs best players, and even if he did become available I could see someone like Spurs or even Arsenal being interested in him, which being London based teams he'd presumably favor.

If 3 goals, 3 assists and 3 big chances created walks in to our team on the right then Traore must be shit.  For the record Traore is 6 goals, 5 assists and 6 big chances created.  All in a lot less minutes. 

Now I know stats don’t tell the whole picture but I think some might have been fooled by the hype surrounding Eze. Watch him closely next time you watch Palace play. You’ll see what I mean. 

I bet you've only seen him once or twice for Palace and are judging him on based on that, just like you were saying we should have signed Loftus Cheek just because of how he played against us yesterday, despite the fact that he hasn't been very impressive for Fulham over the season as their fans will bear witness to. If Traore was playing for Palace this season he wouldn't be on six goals and five assists, he'd be doing well to match Eze's stats, Palace are one of the most negative teams in the league.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, useless said:

I bet you've only seen him once or twice for Palace and are judging him on based on that, just like you were saying we should have signed Loftus Cheek just because of how he played against us yesterday, despite the fact that he hasn't been very impressive for Fulham over the season as their fans will bear witness to. If Traore was playing for Palace this season he wouldn't be on six goals and five assists, he'd be doing well to match Eze's stats, Palace are one of the most negative teams in the league.

I’ve seen him enough times to think he’s overhyped and not as good as people make out. Sounds like you disagree which is fine. You don’t have to be a word removed about it.  

You said yourself you that you've only seen him a few times, so I hardly think that I'm being a 'word removed' about it. Also what I said is no worse than you telling people to watch him closely the next time Palace play, as if people would be talking about him the way they were if they hadn't already watched him closely, I was suggesting we should sign him a couple of years ago when he was at QPR, so made a point of watching him closely this season for Palace out of interest.

Just now, useless said:

You said yourself you that you've only seen him a few times, so I hardly think that I'm being a 'word removed' about it. Also what I said is no worse than you telling people to watch him closely the next time Palace play, as if people would be talking about him the way they were if they hadn't already watched him closely, I was suggesting we should sign him a couple of years ago when he was at QPR, so made a point of watching him closely this season for Palace out of interest.

I’m hardly going to watch every minute of every Palace game.  It’s bad enough watching every Villa game at times.  I had no idea you watched Palace so much so I take back my comment of watching him closely next time you see them play. 

Let’s see how big his move is in a few years time if he’s so good. 

3 hours ago, villa4europe said:

New manager at Palace going to sell their best player? 

No chance IMO

And if you went shopping at Palace it wouldn't be Zaha that I'd want, Eze is a star in making, not that I think they'd sell him or he'd move either 

I said last summer we should have got him, we decided Barkley instead for a year when the loan fee and wages are put in the mix.....

Stupid.

2 hours ago, useless said:

Well yea it is obvious to go for Olise now as he is in the league below still with a supposed release clause.

1 hour ago, paul514 said:

I said last summer we should have got him, we decided Barkley instead for a year when the loan fee and wages are put in the mix.....

Stupid.

rumors that he chose Palace because he wanted to stay in London, so not much we could've done tbf

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Villaphan04 said:

rumors that he chose Palace because he wanted to stay in London, so not much we could've done tbf

Perhaps but we as fans can never know that, people talk a lot of shit about most players as if we know the inner workings of their minds. I heard something similar, if it were me they would be correct I would want to stay in the region I grew up in because that’s what I am like. What the lad is like only him and maybe his nearest and dearest know.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, paul514 said:

Stupid.

No chance, South London boy signed for a South London club, he wasn't going anywhere else 

• Like 3

14 hours ago, Awol said:

Thought that only really applied to under 18s? What’s the difference between signing a 19 year old from South America and a 19 year old from France? 

One does the salsa whilst the other does the can can? 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, villa4europe said:

No chance, South London boy signed for a South London club, he wasn't going anywhere else 

Also pretty sure he's mates with Zaha. Villa weren't a much better option  than Palace last summer. This summer however we should be a very attractive option to any player not on the radar of a champions league outfit.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, VillaChris said:

Where would you expect to finish next season out of interest if say a couple of those signings were really really good? I mean we don't need 9 new signings just to stand still in the league surely?

Would still focus more on 2-3 really good ones and then get in a CB who can play full back competently and another FB so think that's the way to do it rather than just get more countless squad fillers in.

We obviously will try to get real quality, but in our price range we still need to take some risks. Not as much as before, but some. And that means not all of them will pan out. So if we buy 2-3 quality player we can expect 1 or 2 of them to come good. 

I expect us to be in the 12-14th range this year. So, a clear improvement is realistic nect year.