Summer transfer window 2021

zab6359

From the Championship I think Sarr and Buendia are the best down there, but unfortunately Watford and Norwich are pretty much nailed on to go up. Both those players play on the right too which is where we could strengthen. Of the other teams only really Brooks and Olise appeal, maybe Toney or Henry, but Brentford would ask a lot and we could get players more proven in those positions now I think. 

I think the signings we need in order of importance:

1) Creative, attacking midfield/no 10 - e.g. Dele Alli, De Paul, Odegaard (for me this player needs to be star quality to link up with Jack)

2) Winger - e.g. Thauvin, Brooks, Buendia, Sarr, Trossard, Malen, Saint Maximin (preferably someone who can play across the front line but prefers on the right)

3) Striker - e.g. Tammy, Ings, Daka, Toney (even if Wesley comes back, I don't think he'll be the same player, and I'd loan Davis out)

4) Defensive midfielder - e.g. Bissouma, Koopmeiners, Gravenberch, Berge (someone who can tackle and stays in position, to play alongside Luiz or McGinn)

5) Left back - e.g. Wijndal, Henry, Firpo, Sosa, Cornet (to challenge Targett for a first team spot, not just be backup, if we want to improve)

I'd be happy for Guiilbert to come back and compete with Cash at RB (he's done well at Strasbourg) and I'd also try to loan another right footed CB like Joachim Anderson.

Would sell Trez, AEG, Hourihane, maybe Nakamba, send Davis and Ramsey out on loan, and Taylor and Elmo finish their contracts. Would keep Heaton if poss. I've been impressed with Barry, Chukwumeka, Kessler and Aaron Ramsey from the youngsters (albeit in the 2nd tier of the U23s league) and would like to see them in the cups next season or maybe loaned out as they have the potential to be in our first team in future.

Doubt this will all happen but would be a really good summer if we can invest heavily again and have a much stronger squad next season.

Edited by VillaFaninLondon
  • Like 1

It won’t be a busy summer. Uncertainty about income will drive less transfer business. 

With the exception of Tayls and Elmo, whose contacts will expire, I’m struggling to see much more movement. 

Plus, I think the coaching staff put a premium on consistency in the group dynamic: they don’t want to disrupt the dressing room. 

Just now, KevinRichardsonsMoustache said:

It won’t be a busy summer. Uncertainty about income will drive less transfer business. 

With the exception of Tayls and Elmo, whose contacts will expire, I’m struggling to see much more movement. 

Plus, I think the coaching staff put a premium on consistency in the group dynamic: they don’t want to disrupt the dressing room. 

Seems contradictory to what’s coming out of Villa Park and how Dean Smith talks about needing transfer windows to build the squad.  I don’t expect to see a flurry of activity but I expect us to be busy both ways.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, punkiller1981 said:

I don’t see what Newcastle getting new wealthy owners has to do with anything. They would still have the ffp issue like we have. We have very wealthy owners with more money than lots of teams but we are still constrained.

I understood that FFP is dropping away - there was lots of media speculation to this effect??

1 minute ago, barry'sboots said:

I understood that FFP is dropping away - there was lots of media speculation to this effect??

But I think that was later in the year if at all and would likely be replaced with another system according to reports.  I’m guessing the new system won’t benefit anybody apart from the big clubs.

7 hours ago, paul514 said:

He won’t be sold for anything but huge money 40 million plus probably 50 and he will be wanted by a big club if someone is to shell out. I think he will stay.

We are a big club.

• Like 1

Think we’ll try and sign 4/5 good additions again this summer.  These positions would be:

RCB - Engels will go I reckon. I would look to the Championship here and Nathan Collins. Good age to sit behind Konsa and play several cup games or step up if/when Konsa gets injured.  Otherwise, if we went for experience, then John Egan would be a useful pick up, however not sure he’d be happy being on the bench or not being first choice.

LB - Taylor will go this summer.  Henry is the obvious choice here but would be expensive. Lee Buchanan at Derby could be one to look at.  Otherwise Aaron Hickey again or Greg Taylor? Targett certainly needs competition and shouldn’t be guaranteed every game.

Mid - Barkley to return and Hourihane possibly to Swansea.  Perhaps an addition here in the number 10 role?  Don’t think we’ll pursue Barkley but could be wrong as we may have dedicated a lot of money on him already? Dele Alli on loan for next season anyone? Olise from Reading is an obvious one but Josh Dasilva is someone that could be considered as an alternative from the Championship.

Wide Forward/Winger - Trez or El G or both may go.  Brooks, Mbeumo, Sarr, Buendia, Cantwell are obvious thoughts and improvements from the Championship.  Marcus Edwards is easily forgotten and comes to mind here. Have mentioned either of the Sessegnon brothers previously. Ryan has lost his way a little but is still young and a very good player.  Steven isn’t pulling up any trees but both boys are very talented and seem like Smith signings.  The jewel for this position though would be Pablo Neto.  Probably a £40m plus player already but would push us to the next level and would show our ambitions as a serious top ten club.

Centre Forward/Striker - Woefully lacking in this area after Watkins. Imagine if Watkins missed ten plus games for us? I do worry about Wes but not for here. Davis I don’t mind but we can’t have him as our only main option from the bench next season.  Josh Maja is an option. Armstrong or Toney others? Daryl Dike looks to be a very good young player. Joao Pedro at Watford has impressed this season also.  Simply put, we need one addition.

I do struggle with suggesting any European based players purely because my knowledge in this area is so poor. I see and hear names but know generally nothing about them, perhaps someone could do a similar European list?  However, I do think that Smith likes a home grown/based player anyway and think he’ll again concentrate his recruitment from here. Looking forward to an exciting summer.

Edited by ferguson1

2 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

We really missed the boat with sarr in the summer.  He would have been a superb signing

For 40 million No. He has 10 goals and 4 assists in the Championship, hardly tearing it up

2 minutes ago, Zatman said:

For 40 million No. He has 10 goals and 4 assists in the Championship, hardly tearing it up

How do you know its 40 million?

Id say 10 goals and 4 assists is very goo and is tearing it up

4 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

They paid 30 million for him and quoted United and Liverpool 40 million 

I think its pretty poor for a player that highly rated in a top 2 team, he has the same goal and assists numbers as Junior Stanislas and Jed Wallace and one less than Steven Fletcher. Only Wallace has played more games

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

I haven’t watched him this season but based on those stats, the goals are good but the assists are poor for his position, second in the league and having scored 57 goals.  

Just checked the stats and transfermarket has 10 assists which looks better.

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Zatman said:

They paid 30 million for him and quoted United and Liverpool 40 million 

I think its pretty poor for a player that highly rated in a top 2 team, he has the same goal and assists numbers as Junior Stanislas and Jed Wallace and one less than Steven Fletcher. Only Wallace has played more games

Better stats that aeg had in championship 

Sarr destrpyed us last year the kid has talent. 40m for a youbger player that has huge potential i dont think is a bad deal at all. He is better than aeg and trez in my eyes

Just now, Demitri_C said:

Sarr destrpyed us last year the kid has talent. 40m for a youbger player that has huge potential i dont think is a bad deal at all. He is better than aeg and trez in my eyes

Its a terrible deal, Traore, AEG and Trezeguet combined cost less than Sarr and have 13 goals and 5 assists this season in the Premier League. Last season Trezeguet outscored Sarr and he had same stats as AEG

Sarr like Trossard, Maupay and Leroy Fer etc another player that had one of his few good games a season vs us and is a must sign player. They arent very good business options

11 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

But worse than Adomah had in the championship. I wouldn't be touching him for 40m. 20m I might be tempted but 40m, not a hope.

• Like 2

In that position I would like us to really go for somebody quality.  I don’t know much about Sarr but the mix reviews by fans puts me in doubt.  We can’t have somebody that’s just a bit better than what we have (exc Jack) we need somebody that’s going to take some of the burden off Jack.

2 hours ago, VillaFaninLondon said:

From the Championship I think Sarr and Buendia are the best down there, but unfortunately Watford and Norwich are pretty much nailed on to go up. Both those players play on the right too which is where we could strengthen. Of the other teams only really Brooks and Olise appeal, maybe Toney or Henry, but Brentford would ask a lot and we could get players more proven in those positions now I think. 

I think the signings we need in order of importance:

1) Creative, attacking midfield/no 10 - e.g. Dele Alli, De Paul, Odegaard (for me this player needs to be star quality to link up with Jack)

2) Winger - e.g. Thauvin, Brooks, Buendia, Sarr, Trossard, Malen, Saint Maximin (preferably someone who can play across the front line but prefers on the right)

3) Striker - e.g. Tammy, Ings, Daka, Toney (even if Wesley comes back, I don't think he'll be the same player, and I'd loan Davis out)

4) Defensive midfielder - e.g. Bissouma, Koopmeiners, Gravenberch, Berge (someone who can tackle and stays in position, to play alongside Luiz or McGinn)

5) Left back - e.g. Wijndal, Henry, Firpo, Sosa, Cornet (to challenge Targett for a first team spot, not just be backup, if we want to improve)

I'd be happy for Guiilbert to come back and compete with Cash at RB (he's done well at Strasbourg) and I'd also try to loan another right footed CB like Joachim Anderson.

Would sell Trez, AEG, Hourihane, maybe Nakamba, send Davis and Ramsey out on loan, and Taylor and Elmo finish their contracts. Would keep Heaton if poss. I've been impressed with Barry, Chukwumeka, Kessler and Aaron Ramsey from the youngsters (albeit in the 2nd tier of the U23s league) and would like to see them in the cups next season or maybe loaned out as they have the potential to be in our first team in future.

Doubt this will all happen but would be a really good summer if we can invest heavily again and have a much stronger squad next season.

I have to say im on board with this id take out toney and tammy out the targets and only gravenberch id be happy to bring in as DM... Wesley isn't the player to push us forward so he needs to be replaced.. midfield should be grealish,delle ali or similar, sanson,luiz,traore. Or do we get a new winger and have Traore as back up ? .. mcginn should be found on the bench also i havent been impressed with him this season and this is what makes a great team, having players on the bench which we can call upon and Mcginn certainly can be that player. I have been more keen on Sanson tbh. Get rid of Elmo, Taylor,engels, trezeguet,(played well last match however two games a season players are not good enough) , keinan davis (striker that doesnt score goals) gotta go, wesley ... sorry guys theres no room for sentiment

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Its a terrible deal, Traore, AEG and Trezeguet combined cost less than Sarr and have 13 goals and 5 assists this season in the Premier League. Last season Trezeguet outscored Sarr and he had same stats as AEG

Trez had 0 goals before the weekend

Aeg hot and cold never consistent 

Traore i think is decent.

I think if we can get sarr for 30m that would represent a good deal. With good coaching and a better team he could be a unbelievable talent.

i get the added problems with brexit and the safety being a known entity in english football but sarr to me is some one that 90% of us on here could have scouted and recommended

we've put this infrastructure in place, we have lange, we have new scouts,  i want them to earn their corn and be the envy of the league, be the sharpest

signing a well known talent from the championship for £30m+ is not that, id hope that we can do better even if that means that its not necessarily a name that everyone instantly recognises, if we've spent a year "unearthing" Sarr then our scouting isnt what i hoped it would be

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Demitri_C said:

Trez had 0 goals before the weekend

Aeg hot and cold never consistent 

Traore i think is decent.

I think if we can get sarr for 30m that would represent a good deal. With good coaching and a better team he could be a unbelievable talent.

Why would Watford sell a player they paid 30 million for 30 million when they will be in the same league. They wanted 40 when went down so be looking for 50-60 now for an average enough player with potential

• Like 1