General officiating/rules

StefanAVFC

4 minutes ago, Wainy316 said:

Diverting from the awful officiating in England, there was also a furore in Spain yesterday resulting in a red card for Bellingham.

The ref blew his whistle as a cross was played that Jude headed in.  

I don’t see anything wrong with what the ref did to be fair.  I hate this notion that people think the ref should let a chance play out before blowing for time.  If the time is up the time is up.  Looking at the clock on the clip it was about 2 mins over the allotted injury time.  I do understand the immediate frustration on the part of the player but Madrid acting like they’ve been robbed?  Nah.

I do agree, but again it comes back to consistency. It’s pretty much never done that way, 999 times out of a 1000 the ref waits to see the outcome of that cross and then blows the whistle. To go against the norm is always going to generate huge drama (rightly or wrongly).

5 minutes ago, Wainy316 said:

Diverting from the awful officiating in England, there was also a furore in Spain yesterday resulting in a red card for Bellingham.

I don’t see anything wrong with what the ref did to be fair.  I hate this notion that people think the ref should let a chance play out before blowing for time.  If the time is up the time is up.  Looking at the clock on the clip it was about 2 mins over the allotted injury time.  I do understand the immediate frustration on the part of the player but Madrid acting like they’ve been robbed?  Nah.

He only added about 1.40 mins for a 2.15 min VAR check in added time from what I read. That's why they are miffed.

13 minutes ago, bobzy said:

He shouldn't have kicked the ball away.  It's the most obvious booking in the footballing world - exactly the same as Zaniolo.

If you don't think those are yellow cards, then no wonder you think the referee was bad :D 

But he'd set the standard that kicking the ball away isn't a yellow card as he didn't book Luton for it. Not least because in the Luiz incident the ball ended up back exactly where it started.

The Bailey booking was indeed harsh,  the collision was because Bailey had no time to react as their running paths crossed.. it wasn't cynical.

Rogers got booked for two fouls, yet Mengi did more than 2 and even more that weren't given because the ref was useless.

He gives a foul on Chong in the second half which let's them set up an attack, when it was actually a dive, when 4 seconds before he didnt give us a free kick for a near exact (but more egregious) foul on one of our players.

Agree, that once he's booked Luiz, he should be sending him off for a second bookable offence... but he never should have received the first one by the standard he'd set.

He did give us a free kick for a foul on Konsa in the first half when he was being pressured in our half,which I didn't think was a foul, and seemed to respond to players overexaggersting their falls...which chong did plenty of and we did none of. Zaniolo in the corner lost the ball but got kicked in the back of the leg.  If he'd gone down i reckon he'd have given a free kick.

He was terrible though really. And if the other side things he got lots wrong (and not booking Emi for time wasting is almost certainly one of them) then it tells us was bad, not that he balanced it out.

Looking at Oliver's previous against us it does suggest an innate bias.

Finally, the VAR not checking their goal for the obstruction by an offside player was inconsistency on display, although not on Oliver.

• Like 4

45 minutes ago, bobzy said:

He shouldn't have kicked the ball away.  It's the most obvious booking in the footballing world - exactly the same as Zaniolo.

If you don't think those are yellow cards, then no wonder you think the referee was bad :D 

Luton player did same thing 20 minutes earlier and no card. He booted it further away

That Forest 'error' is crazy and borderline corruption if you look at the team involved and how much time was added on to try and get them the win. 

I ref at my kids games and even I know that it is a dropped ball for the team in possession after a stoppage like that. How on earth did the ref think giving Liverpool the ball was the right thing to do?! 

• Like 3

If the Premier League had any integrity they would wipe the goal using retrospective VAR and have the teams play the last minute again with Forest in possession. They have made decisions after the final whistle in the past like giving United a penalty

The goal could have implications on both ends of the table come end of the season and has sporting and financial implications

12 minutes ago, villarule123 said:

That Forest 'error' is crazy and borderline corruption if you look at the team involved and how much time was added on to try and get them the win. 

I ref at my kids games and even I know that it is a dropped ball for the team in possession after a stoppage like that. How on earth did the ref think giving Liverpool the ball was the right thing to do?! 

If it was the other way around Klopp would be crying for a replay now 🤣

• Like 1

It was an error, but it's two minutes before the goal down the other end of the pitch, it's mad how much is being made of it

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Wainy316 said:

I have seen the video and he blew as the player went to cross the ball after a phase of play had broken down, so it looked fair enough decision by the referee in my opinion. They are not supposed to play on just because someone has the ball in an attacking area.

I remember we had one disallowed years ago at Chelsea for same reason. Platt scored a worldie overhead kick goal, but referee blew half time whistle as his foot connected with the cross. 

Bellingham needs to accept the decision at that moment in time. Hopefully he will learn from that, and he won’t repeat his error when playing for England.

3 minutes ago, calcifer said:

That game actually has a case for being replayed. It was literally the last passage of the game. Forest have a corner, it's cleared to a Forest player, game is stopped 5 seconds later with Forest in possession and the ball is given back to a Liverpool(?!) where they go up the other end and score, then the ref blows up after kick off. 

These refs are either corrupt or not fit for purpose. 

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Luton player did same thing 20 minutes earlier and no card. He booted it further away

Does that mean that our players were incorrectly booked?

8 minutes ago, bobzy said:

Does that mean that our players were incorrectly booked?

the point is the ref didnt do the same thing to the Luton players, people have said he was biased against us and by booking our players and not Lutons for the same thing shows he is either a. biased b. corrupt or c. incompetent

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Wainy316 said:

Seeing it and knowing what's coming you can see his thinking, the Madrid is going away from goal when he first starts to motion that he's going to blow, it's just that it takes him a second to do it and the play develops in to something else that then makes it a mess

if he blew quickly while the guys back is to goal then there can't be a complaint but by the time his whistle hits his lips he's turned and by the time he's actually blowed the cross has been hit 

Id be fuming if it was villa that's for sure 

40 minutes ago, villarule123 said:

If the ball was in the box or the last touch was in the box it’s the correct decision. But CHO had it outside of the box. 

26 minutes ago, villarule123 said:

That game actually has a case for being replayed. It was literally the last passage of the game. Forest have a corner, it's cleared to a Forest player, game is stopped 5 seconds later with Forest in possession and the ball is given back to a Liverpool(?!) where they go up the other end and score, then the ref blows up after kick off. 

These refs are either corrupt or not fit for purpose. 

I am waiting with interest with what the PGMOL will say... 

But because of Liverpool been on the end of the Spurs decision you know they will have to chose their words carefully otherwise we will have a triggered Klopp...

Having just calmed down after a few drinks last night and a good sleep, just thinking about it now, their first goal should have been ruled out too? Chong was grabbing on Emi when the ball was crossed in first; we had the same chalked off Vs sheff Utd even though it's after the third phrased of play?

Although nothing against their second, I just don't think there was enough to suggest Moreno was obstructed which might have prevented Morris getting the end of it.

I hope Chong repaid Michael Oliver last night if he hasn't already done so.

33 minutes ago, Zatman said:

the point is the ref didnt do the same thing to the Luton players, people have said he was biased against us and by booking our players and not Lutons for the same thing shows he is either a. biased b. corrupt or c. incompetent

And yet the potentially biggest incident of the game went in our favour.  Biased or corrupt though, of course.

53 minutes ago, calcifer said:

What and add an extra game on his schedule, na he’d just be demanding the points are given to them to tiny unfortunate Liverpool 

Â