General officiating/rules

StefanAVFC

It's disgusting. They're all corrupt, incompetent, biased or varying degrees of all three.

If I didn't love Villa I'd gave given up on the game. Run by an organisation that's corrupt, it's no surprise that the referees follow suit.

• Like 1

Don't know.whats happened to refereeing standards. You'd think it.wouid be easier now with var but Oliver today was totally useless. Giving fouls for no reason, booking players, particularly from our side for the slightest thing. Then you see the incident in the Forest game which definitely effected the result. Its pathetic and the Premier League should have a far better standard of refs.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, PaulC said:

Don't know.whats happened to refereeing standards. You'd think it.wouid be easier now with var but Oliver today was totally useless. Giving fouls for no reason, booking players, particularly from our side for the slightest thing. Then you see the incident in the Forest game which definitely effected the result. Its pathetic and the Premier League should have a far better standard of refs.

The Luiz one was dreadful since a Luton player made a similar tackle in the 1st half and kicked ball further away and nothing happened

• Like 3

The time added on needs to be investigated as well. We had 5 minutes while Liverpool had 10 and what I saw nothing was that bad in the Liverpool game. Luton took a lot of set pieces so should have been extended more if honest

• Like 1

Tbh the Liverpool head injury was a total fucX up from the ref, he needs to explain why he chose to give Liverpool possession, it just stinks of blatant cheating.

+ If a player has a head injury, that stops play, shouldn't they leave the pitch for treatment, we have had players leave the pitch but I noticed yesterday that rule not been applied in a few games.

• Like 1

Personally, didn't think the refereeing in our game was that bad.  I'm curious as to what people are so annoyed by?

The things he got wrong IMO were not giving fouls against Mengi vs Watkins first half and not sending Douglas Luiz off.  That was it.  We picked up 2 of our 4 bookings for kicking the ball away, Rogers for 2 fouls in an attacking half in succession and Bailey for a pull back.  A Luton player was also booked for a pull back.  A lot of the complaining was against Chong in the match thread, but our players kept kicking him 🤷‍♂️

The Forest vs Liverpool error... this is where everything confuses me.  SURELY VAR can just say "that dropball needs to go to Forest, not Liverpool".  Problem over.  How are they not involved?!

• Like 1

Mengi vs Watkins first half was really bad imo, it wasn't 50/50 battling play on stuff it was man handling WWE stuff, if he reffed that properly then the foul count would have balanced out 

Chong definitley had a couple of dives thrown in there and should have been booked for a blatant one in the second half but refs never book players for that, they'll probably want a sin bin or a blue card or some other punishment for it rather than use the obvious one they've already got 

Like I said for the 2nd time in 3 games it's interesting that both sets of fans seem to think they played vs 12 and the ref was corrupt, I'm sure their fans had a cheat chant going last night but I think that was at emi time wasting 

• Like 3

It makes it sound like he barely got anything wrong, but it he books Mengi for the 3rd pull back, then he can’t do it anymore and the pattern of the game changes. He was a classic example yesterday of influencing the game without making any big decisions. Every time a Luton player hit the deck, it was a foul. We didn’t get the same. It allowed them to break the pressure and hammer us with set pieces. 

As for the Liverpool one, well we have a new tactic now. Clatter your own player when under pressure and go down holding your head. 

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

It makes it sound like he barely got anything wrong, but it he books Mengi for the 3rd pull back, then he can’t do it anymore and the pattern of the game changes. He was a classic example yesterday of influencing the game without making any big decisions. Every time a Luton player hit the deck, it was a foul. We didn’t get the same. It allowed them to break the pressure and hammer us with set pieces. 

As for the Liverpool one, well we have a new tactic now. Clatter your own player when under pressure and go down holding your head. 

This is true, but it barely had any influence on the first half.  We hammered them, controlled the game and possibly should've scored more (their keeper made a couple of good saves to be fair).  I don't think the pattern of the game really changes that much.  We came out for the second half and just performed woefully, constantly giving the ball away and fouling their players.

The new tactic on Liverpool decision obviously will never happen, but it's where the Clattenburg role will become interesting.  He's an ex-ref, that is now going to be pro-club - bucking the trend generally.  Referees are going to need to respond in a different manner IMO.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, bobzy said:

Personally, didn't think the refereeing in our game was that bad.  I'm curious as to what people are so annoyed by?

The things he got wrong IMO were not giving fouls against Mengi vs Watkins first half and not sending Douglas Luiz off.  That was it.  We picked up 2 of our 4 bookings for kicking the ball away, Rogers for 2 fouls in an attacking half in succession and Bailey for a pull back.  A Luton player was also booked for a pull back.  A lot of the complaining was against Chong in the match thread, but our players kept kicking him 🤷‍♂️

The Forest vs Liverpool error... this is where everything confuses me.  SURELY VAR can just say "that dropball needs to go to Forest, not Liverpool".  Problem over.  How are they not involved?!

I thought he was letting them get away with a lot of rough stuff. Particularly on Watkins but booking our players for nothing. I also thought he was giving them a lot of fouls which were very marginal at best. I know I'm biased but thr ref worried me all through the game. 

Just now, PaulC said:

I thought he was letting them get away with a lot of rough stuff. Particularly on Watkins but booking our players for nothing. I also thought he was giving them a lot of fouls which were very marginal at best. I know I'm biased but thr ref worried me all through the game. 

All of our yellow cards were completely standard yellow cards.  Which one did you think was "for nothing"?

Just now, bobzy said:

All of our yellow cards were completely standard yellow cards.  Which one did you think was "for nothing"?

Can't remember specifics now. Just at the time they looked petty.  

10 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

This sums it up, he was changing the course of the game by his inconsistency. Sometimes refs let the players go at it and be physical, he let Luton do it but not Villa, which at least partly contributed to the 2nd half (not wholly) performance.

Not many complaints about the Villa bookings or the naivety the Villa defence and midfield showed in just kicking people for fun even the ref was behaving in that way.

Edited by AndyClarke
  • Like 4

I do think the ref was influenced by the home crowd, every foul by us was met with huge roars from the crowd.

Luton players were doing similar things but nothing was given. 

Some people could standard of officiating has dropped, but maybe they have always been awful, but now with so many games shown on TV its clear to see?

19 minutes ago, bobzy said:

They really weren't. The only one which was ok, I guess, was Bailey if viewed as a professional foul but it was more clumsy than anything.

This is where the frustration is born from. The yellows were for nothing yet the opposition were doing worse and not being punished. 

The Luiz booking was ridiculous.

Just now, jimmygreaves said:

They really weren't. The only one which was ok, I guess, was Bailey if viewed as a professional foul but it was more clumsy than anything.

This is where the frustration is born from. The yellows were for nothing yet the opposition were doing worse and not being punished. 

The Luiz booking was ridiculous.

He shouldn't have kicked the ball away.  It's the most obvious booking in the footballing world - exactly the same as Zaniolo.

If you don't think those are yellow cards, then no wonder you think the referee was bad :D 

Mengi was told to just stop Ollie at all costs and seemed to get away with it scot free. Even the commentary mentioned Mengi had done this to Haaland so he has a track record. 

Oliver just seemed to turn a total blind eye to it all. 

Can't tell if there is a minor agenda against us or it's just ineptitude. 

Diverting from the awful officiating in England, there was also a furore in Spain yesterday resulting in a red card for Bellingham.

The ref blew his whistle as a cross was played that Jude headed in.  

I don’t see anything wrong with what the ref did to be fair.  I hate this notion that people think the ref should let a chance play out before blowing for time.  If the time is up the time is up.  Looking at the clock on the clip it was about 2 mins over the allotted injury time.  I do understand the immediate frustration on the part of the player but Madrid acting like they’ve been robbed?  Nah.

• Like 4

59 minutes ago, bobzy said:

Don't think he got that much "wrong". It's the difference in how he judged things. They were allowed to do things that our players were not. Either kicking the ball away is a card or it isn't. Luiz got a card which is fair, but then the Luton player who did the same in the middle of the first half should have gotten one too. I know you said you missed that one but it happened. Guess one could argue Luiz kicked the ball harder but his one bounced back while the Luton one the ball ended further away so it wasted more time. We got 4 yellow to their 1.We committed 19 fouls to their 8 according to the ref. He let the 50/50 situations go in their favor but not in ours. They got a lot of FK's in our half for stuff that they let go when Mengi did it to Ollie.

It's the inconsistency that annoys me. Not any situation where I think he made a blatant fault.

• Like 1

Â