General officiating/rules

StefanAVFC

21 minutes ago, The_Steve said:

Doing their best to protect United 

not a red for reasons 

Maguire is the most protected player in the league.

• Like 2

That is absolutely mad. Two weeks in a row without a stonewall red. 

A conspiracy theorist would really think the league are protecting them 

I watched the footage of it at half time (rather than a random still image) and it's one of those 50/50's IMO.  If the ref gives it as a red, it isn't getting overturned but if he doesn't (which he didn't), then it also isn't getting overturned.

Personally, I think he's a bit lucky.  The ball goes loose and he stretches to reach it but lands down on Saric's(?) foot.  It's a really heavy land, but not jumped in or high or anything.

Just now, bobzy said:

I watched the footage of it at half time (rather than a random still image) and it's one of those 50/50's IMO.  If the ref gives it as a red, it isn't getting overturned but if he doesn't (which he didn't), then it also isn't getting overturned.

Personally, I think he's a bit lucky.  The ball goes loose and he stretches to reach it but lands down on Saric's(?) foot.  It's a really heavy land, but not jumped in or high or anything.

When I first saw it I thought it was just because he clattered him and thought nah its not that bad

Then I saw the replay and saw the studs on the foot... 

VAR should get the ref to go to the screen and then you'd hope it's a red 

gilmour has touched the ball then followed through, red is harsh, I can't see why they gave it but I don't think he meant it and the studs on the calf is accidental, if he plays the ball cleaner then it wouldn't happen it's literally a split second thing where the Everton guy played the ball first 

Maguire is late and it's a and tackle that would put one on him and clatter the guy regardless, even if his right foot wins the ball his left knee is coming in to do him, it's a dirty tackle on top of being a bad tackle 

Madness 

• Like 1

There is no doubt Man U are being looked after.

Whatever is said, they are still one of the biggest clubs in the world, the eyes they bring to the Prem, is worth millions. Without them, alot of people would lose alot of money.. 

18 hours ago, villa4europe said:

gilmour has touched the ball then followed through, red is harsh, I can't see why they gave it but I don't think he meant it and the studs on the calf is accidental, if he plays the ball cleaner then it wouldn't happen it's literally a split second thing where the Everton guy played the ball first 

Maguire is late and it's a and tackle that would put one on him and clatter the guy regardless, even if his right foot wins the ball his left knee is coming in to do him, it's a dirty tackle on top of being a bad tackle 

Madness 

Crazy how you see those that way round IMO.

Gilmour does touch the ball, but he plants his studs down on Onana halfway up his leg.  It's a horrible challenge even if not malicious.

Maguire's studs are low down catching the top of a foot.  Nowhere near the same level of potential injury - even if sore.  As I said earlier, that one is 50/50 but the Gilmour one is just a red card.

I can only assume it's because "Man Utd" that you see Maguire's challenge as worse?  I mean, it just isn't.

(Edit:  FWIW, I'm not sure that either "should be" a red, but yeah.  That's the game these days)

Edited by bobzy

12 minutes ago, bobzy said:

Gilmour does touch the ball, but he plants his studs down on Onana halfway up his leg.  It's a horrible challenge even if not malicious.

Maguire's studs are low down catching the top of a foot.  Nowhere near the same level of potential injury - even if sore.  As I said earlier, that one is 50/50 but the Gilmour one is just a red card.

I can only assume it's because "Man Utd" that you see Maguire's challenge as worse?  I mean, it just isn't.

No, I see them so different because maguire is so late and imo is a dirty tackle designed to put one on the opponent regardless, win the ball or not maguire is clattering the bloke, at best he's dead legging him, he knows exactly what he's doing, the follow through contact with his left leg is pre meditated and was worth a yellow on its own 

Gilmour I think is just scrapping and looks way worse than it actually is and if he'd made full contact on the ball, which is a split second thing, then the follow through wouldn't happen like that

The gap between the ball being played would be my main difference, gilmour is a flash in a fiesty 50/50 challenge, maguire is seriously late and dirty 

Edit - you could change that wording to being about control, I dont think gilmour has control because the 50/50 he went in for ended up being a 49/51 whereas maguire does have control, but then I'd argue that gilmour was unlucky whereas maguires tackle was a words removed tackle 

Edited by villa4europe
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, bobzy said:

(Edit:  FWIW, I'm not sure that either "should be" a red, but yeah.  That's the game these days)

Thanks for the info Neville.

1 hour ago, villa4europe said:

No, I see them so different because maguire is so late and imo is a dirty tackle designed to put one on the opponent regardless, win the ball or not maguire is clattering the bloke, at best he's dead legging him, he knows exactly what he's doing, the follow through contact with his left leg is pre meditated and was worth a yellow on its own 

Gilmour I think is just scrapping and looks way worse than it actually is and if he'd made full contact on the ball, which is a split second thing, then the follow through wouldn't happen like that

The gap between the ball being played would be my main difference, gilmour is a flash in a fiesty 50/50 challenge, maguire is seriously late and dirty 

Edit - you could change that wording to being about control, I dont think gilmour has control because the 50/50 he went in for ended up being a 49/51 whereas maguire does have control, but then I'd argue that gilmour was unlucky whereas maguires tackle was a words removed tackle 

The left leg part is nonsense - he's stretching to play the ball, is late, and the slips on the other players' foot.  He has no way of not catching him with his left; it's not premeditated in the slightest.  His knee is low, hits the Fulham player's calf if anything.  The only part that could be premeditated (which I don't think happens as it's all so quick in reaching for the ball) is if you think he deliberately stamps down to catch his foot.  Personally, doesn't look like it, just very clumsy.

Not sure Gilmour is unlucky.  He doesn't tackle well; which is why he only flicks the ball then lands studs down on Onana's leg.  It's a poop tackle - not unlucky.

I wish there would be a clamp down on this sort of thing. Pisses me right off. Usually game has to stopped for unnecessary treatment 

Why can’t they go back retrospectively and punish him for unsporting behaviour or simulation? 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Genie said:

I wish there would be a clamp down on this sort of thing. Pisses me right off. Usually game has to stopped for unnecessary treatment 

Why can’t they go back retrospectively and punish him for unsporting behaviour or simulation? 

Because that might actually fit it... 

6 minutes ago, Genie said:

Sorry?

Fix it 🤦

Seems like they're trying every answer possible other than the blatantly obvious 3/5 man panel and retrospective punishment for diving and play acting 

Even this MLS trial they're doing now where you have 2 minutes off the pitch after treatment to try and stop people blagging it to kill momentum 

They should have done retrospective bans back in the Pires days 

• Like 1

On 25/02/2024 at 14:29, Genie said:

The problem is that he is allowed to do it, without repercussion. 

• Like 1

Â